Author Topic: How to protect myself from my employer  (Read 2899 times)

Frederic

How to protect myself from my employer
« on: February 20, 2018, 07:14:55 am »
Hi all,

It's been a long and difficult road, 1 1/2 years post op (middle fossa) and it doesn't seem there is much improvement on my condition anymore.

I have run out of medical leave and have depleted my annual leave which I used for those really bad days. Now I am forced to go to work on those really bad days as I cannot afford to take unpaid leave and this is not working out as I am not as productive as what I should be.

I went to the doctor everytime I had a bad day but it's always the same story, you are doing well, it takes time, be patient. Since my leave ran out I have stopped going to the doctor although I should have gone to have some sort of medical record of these bad days.

Fatique is still a major issue, as my workday progresses I get more fatigued causing my left eye to lose focus, my left side of my face goes numb and my concentration and focus deteriates as I get more tired. I am a programmer and these issues really affect my work performance. Before I could remember what I changed to a certain program a couple of months ago, now I need to go and look at the program and try to figure out what I changed. This is really troublesome in my proffesion.

I am going to see another docter today to get another opinion and advice. I would also like to request some tests to be done to provide some sort of evidence that all is but normal but I am not sure what tests I can request?

Although my employer was very accomodating so far he is running out of patience and his understanding of my condition has changed. He is putting more pressure on me to complete tasks and this is all done via email were as before this was discussed verbally.

Call me paranoid but something's brewing and I want to make sure I can protect myself in the best possible way.

The only way I can think of is to have some test done to prove my condition. I have considered requesting medical boarding but I need to submit medical evidence in my request and I have no idea what evidence I can submit? Financially this would be my last resort as my income will be reduced sunstantially.

My quality of life is also not what it used to be, I am trying so hard to focus on my work that it consumes all my energy. Besides work all I do is sleep.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Regards,
Frederic

Kristena

Re: How to protect myself from my employer
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2018, 09:37:01 am »
I am certainly no expert, but fatigue and loss of focus/concentration are major symptoms of depression. The next time you visit your doctor, discuss it with him or her or ask for a referral. Check out some support groups in your area or online. Inspire.com has forums for all varieties of medical issues and symptoms. And of course, the people on this forum are all so very supportive! I hope you find relief!
2.7 cm meningioma in CPA and IAC
Retrosig June 2013 resulted in Facial paralysis and SSD
6-mo post-op MRI showed 1.0 cm remains in IAC
3-yr MRI still shows no new growth!
6/2014 Baha magnet implanted; 8/2014 magnet removed due to poor healing; 9/2014 abutment installed. Hearing fine!

Patti

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2018, 05:41:02 pm »
I would not blame those problems on depression.  You need to see a neurologist and ask for cognitive testing.  I have and my deficits were quite obvious to the doctor.    patti
4 cm AN removed 12/2000
subsequent brain swelling
removal of part of cerebellum
face, scalp,tongue numbness and partial paralysis
no corneal sensation and no tears-frequent eye issues
cognitive issues
Regrowth (3.1 x ..86 cm) treated by SRS on November 6, 2015

Frederic

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2018, 05:17:25 am »
Thank you for the repplies  :)

I went to a different docter yesterday, he took some blood and is having blood tests done to elliminate other possible causes for the fatigue. He also referred me to a neuroligist to have some tests done.

Neurlogosist is fully booked till April must phone next month again to try and get and appoinement  :o

Patti

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2018, 07:13:23 am »
good luck!  you are doing the right thing! one time i went to the doctor with unusual fatigue (a few years after my surgery) and she found Lyme's disease! i was expecting something far worse.
4 cm AN removed 12/2000
subsequent brain swelling
removal of part of cerebellum
face, scalp,tongue numbness and partial paralysis
no corneal sensation and no tears-frequent eye issues
cognitive issues
Regrowth (3.1 x ..86 cm) treated by SRS on November 6, 2015

PaulW

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2018, 04:14:38 pm »
I think your problems can be traced back to the loss of your balance nerve and a defective vestibulo ocular reflex.
If you have a Video Head Impulse Test done you will fail this test.

Once you have a defective vestibulo ocular reflex it makes it more difficult to read a screen and concentrate on it.

The vestibulo ocular reflex is like a gyroscope for your eyes. any body movement and your eyes are automatically kept gazing in the same direction.
Once you have lost your balance nerve through the removal of the AN your VOR is also lost and can never be relearned or totally compensated for.
Everytime your body moves your brain now has to think about manually moving your eyes. That tiring, makes reading more difficult and creates memory problems

There is an ipad app that demonstrates the deficit, search for aVOR in the App stor

http://vestibular.org/understanding-vestibular-disorder/symptoms

try youtube and head impulse test

10x5x5mm AN
Sudden Partial hearing loss 5/28/10
Diagnosed 7/4/10
CK 7/27/10
2/21/11 Swelling 13x6x7mm
10/16/11 Hearing returned, balance improved. Feel totally back to normal most days
3/1/12 Sudden Hearing loss, steroids, hearing back.
9/16/13 Life is just like before my AN. ALL Good!

tsaff88

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2018, 03:25:35 pm »
This is a very interesting thread as it clears up a mystery for me.  I’ve been forgetful all my days but it went to a new level post AN surgery.  All the tips and tricks that I’d picked up over a lifetime didn’t seem to help. I’m also a programmer and found myself with zero recollection of some programming that I had done.  I’d see my initials on audit trails, which proved that I’d done it, but there’d be nothing in my memory banks.  I’m retired now so it’s not such a big deal anymore; while working, though, it did have a negative affect on my work (and perhaps contributed to my not quite voluntary retirement).

Frederic, I wish I could give you some work arounds but I never was able to find anything useful.

Jet747

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2018, 11:35:13 pm »
Frederic,

Difficult to offer specific advice without more information.

In the US, your Dr. might certify you to participate in FMLA intermittent leave based on a review of your symptoms as described.

I don’t know if you are in the US nor do I know the size of the company you work for, both matter.

If you qualify for this type of FMLA and are certified by a Dr....you may have legal protections...it seems like you may be concerned about losing your job so it might be worth investigating (google).  You also may have specific protections under ADA.

BR,
Jet
RS Surgery May 2015

GK Radiation October 2015

https://www.anausa.org/smf/index.php?topic=21969.0

gunns

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2018, 04:22:26 pm »
I think your problems can be traced back to the loss of your balance nerve and a defective vestibulo ocular reflex.
If you have a Video Head Impulse Test done you will fail this test.

Once you have a defective vestibulo ocular reflex it makes it more difficult to read a screen and concentrate on it.

The vestibulo ocular reflex is like a gyroscope for your eyes. any body movement and your eyes are automatically kept gazing in the same direction.
Once you have lost your balance nerve through the removal of the AN your VOR is also lost and can never be relearned or totally compensated for.
Everytime your body moves your brain now has to think about manually moving your eyes. That tiring, makes reading more difficult and creates memory problems

There is an ipad app that demonstrates the deficit, search for aVOR in the App stor

http://vestibular.org/understanding-vestibular-disorder/symptoms

try youtube and head impulse test

Hi PaulW,
I down loaded the app but can't figure it out. It must be that my cognitive ability is in retrograde mode! LOL!!!!!!  Lots of cool views but....?

GP9

« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2018, 01:08:41 am »
You might want to consult an attorney, especially one who deals with labor law, and disability cases. FMLA might not be the best option, since it is unpaid leave, which you said is financially impossible. There are other options and programs. The Americans with Disabilities Act says that an employer must make reasonable accommodations for you. For example, I am a locomotive engineer. Especially early on the single sided deafness made it hard for me to tune out the locomotive noise, and concentrate on radio instructions. The company got me a David Clark headset, like airline pilots use.

There may be other programs, which could be beneficial. The cold shoulder from your boss should not be taken lightly. This is why I recommend learning about what rights you have. You might also contact the HR department, or even the employee assistance program. There is no good in loosing your job, especially if it can be prevented, by the company knowing what you are going through.

Joan Mingo

« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2018, 07:31:56 am »
Wondering if physiotherapy for balance issues would also help cognitive and memory issues. I am doing that myself and hoping will help. Sorry you're having problems with your boss. I am in watch and wait and also have cognitive and memory issues even though have small AN. I think some of my problem at work was also excessive noise and talking as fairly open office area. Am currently on sick leave as couldnt cope with the fatique and confusion. Boss did nothing to accomodate me even though I gave him exact idea of what needed and could be done. Guess he wanted to put someone he could pay less in my place. Currently waiting for LTD decision. On gov't sick benefits for now. Thankfully can afford this. So sorry you are also having trouble with employer.
If you are Canadian, there is a law that you can sue under if your boss doesn't allow you to be able to do your job. It has to do with "breaking your contract" of the job. Doesn't mean you need to have an actual contract.
Good luck on your journey. Maybe would help if just have meeting with boss and explain, as well as have printout of basic issues of AN?
ANA diagnosed Dec 2016
14x4mm schwanoma left ear
75% hearing loss- 12% recognition remaining
Watch and Wait