Author Topic: Preparation for translab surgery in 1 month  (Read 2678 times)

Krisjm

Preparation for translab surgery in 1 month
« on: April 27, 2018, 07:33:04 am »
Hi, 
  I'm new to the forum.  Thanks to all who are sharing their experiences.  My tumor is on the left side.   I noticed loss of hearing and tinnitus first, balance issues have developed.  The tumor is small 7mm x 4mm x 6mm, but has doubled in size in 6 months.  I am experiencing some facial numbness, and increased balance issues.  I worked at a horse farm (stopped because of balance safety issues)
   Translabyrinthine surgery is 1 month out.   What can I do to prepare myself for this?  I am 56, trying to go to the gym 2 to 3 times a week. 

Thanks for being here.

Krisjm

notaclone13

Re: Preparation for translab surgery in 1 month
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2018, 01:39:27 pm »
Hi Krisjm,
I am in W&W for the time being.  However, one of my colleagues had translab surgery on a fairly large AN 2 years ago.  He advised me that it is important to be in as good a physical condition as possible prior to surgery. He exercised as much as he could (he did not have much dizziness and was an avid runner) and he ate a healthy diet.  If you can, I think it would be good to maintain some type of exercise program to  build up your stamina. Walking is ideal if dizziness doesn't prevent it. Walking on a treadmill with handrails helps with balance.  A stationary bike would also be good as many on the forum are avid bikers.  From what my friend told me, it is important to stay active and work past the dizziness if possible.

I am sorry to hear that your AN has doubled in size in 6 months.  But it is still quite small.  Unfortunately even small ANs can cause problematic dizziness.  I am sure many on the forum can provide good advice concerning what to do both before and after your surgery.

midee

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2018, 02:47:21 pm »
HI Krisjm,
I am not quite 3 months post surgery, retro-sigmoid. I was W&W for 5 years. I faithfully did exercise every week and I believe it was my biggest help for recovery. I did a lot of balance exercises in one of my classes, so after surgery, I did not really have any balance or dizziness issues. Within 3-4 weeks I was back in class. Just wasnt able to do the treadmill or eliptical yet. Now I can do the treadmill just fine. My recovery was very easy and quick. I did go to 2 sessions of vestibular therapy, but then the therapist told me on my 2nd visit that I was doing so well, I did not have to return.
I was at peace before my surgery thanks to the many prayer groups I had. Just keep a good, positive attitude and expect a good outcome. Prayer really helps! I'll pray for your surgery. I will be 68 next month! When is your surgery date?
Left Retrosigmoid 2.0CM removal Feb. 2018 at University Hospital Cleveland, Ohio
Total SSD
Feb. 2019 MRI shows no growth.

Krisjm

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2018, 01:48:35 pm »
Thanks for the advice. I will try to be as fit as possible.  It helps to have others to “talk” to.  3 weeks until surgery (May 22).  Starting to have random fear moments.  Thanks for the positive feedback.

ColleenS

• I have learned to watch birds and smell the roses.
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2018, 12:23:17 pm »
Hi there, I also had Translab surgery and I just posted my thoughts on my 1 year healthy anniversary about my year - today. You may find it useful.
I posted it under AN issues - General I believe.
5/2/17 @ Vanderbilt Translab approach with Drs. Haynes & Chambless
Readmitted on 5/7/17 for CFL, lumbar drain; CFL repair surgery
10/18 5 Radiation treatments for tumor regrowth
3/19 Pain, swelling, facial paralysis
5/19 Facial paralysis, numbness
10/21 Mild facial paralysis still