Author Topic: Anyone had a similar experience?  (Read 6188 times)

Dave22000

Anyone had a similar experience?
« on: November 16, 2006, 01:04:27 pm »
Hi,  my name is Dave and I am new here.

Two years ago, I began noticing that the hearing in my right ear was starting to go.  Since that time my hearing has gotten worse in my right ear, while the hearing my left ear has remained normal.  In June of this year, I began to experience persistent (and highly ANNOYING!) tinnitus in my right ear. 

I am the type of person who doesn't like to go to the Dr. unless it is absolutely necessary.  I finally made an appointment after I found that I could no longer hear my clock radio when sleeping on my left side (left ear in pillow, right ear exposed).    I also found that rooms full of people talking tend to be overwhelming and make it difficult and uncomfortable for me to hear. 

In September, I went to an ENT. The ENT and his audiologist performed auditory tests (hearing and bone conduction) and verified that I had considerable loss of hearing in my right ear. Strangely, only the middle frequencies are affected. I can still hear low and high frequency sounds. Next, the ENT performed the Brainstem Auditory Evoked Response test (BAER aka ABR) to determine how my auditory nerves were conducting the signal. My left ear showed a normal signal pattern. On the other hand, my right ear showed a "mushy" signal, meaning that the nerve isn't processing/transmitting the signal correctly.

The ENT then sent me for an MRI with/without contrast to rule out an Acoustic Neuroma and/or MS. The MRI came back not showing anything out of the ordinary, other than a "probable fatty deposit" in the right Internal Auditory Canal (IAC). The ENT wants to see me again in 6 months for follow-up.

In the mean time, I continue to have diminished hearing in my right ear and that highly annoying tinnitus.  Has anyone else had an experience similar to mine? 

nancyann

• carpe diem
Re: Anyone had a similar experience?
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2006, 01:32:38 pm »
Hi Dave - I had the exact same symptoms, & because of worsening, went to ENT, same tests as you, only the MRI WITH CONTRAST did show an acoustic neuroma.  I was told by the ENT that MRI with contrast is 99% (or 98%?) accurate.  So, there was no acoustic neuroma seen??  I'm sure they focused on the right side given your history.  Can a fatty deposit cause the hearing loss & timmitus? I'd ask the ENT, and ask why they wouldn't want to repeat the MRI with contrast.  If the MRI is right, I'd say you're one lucky guy!!
Nancy   PS.  Hope the 6 month follow up is negative also!!!  but, why the decreased hearing on one side with tinnitus???
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2006, 02:56:02 pm »

Sorry to say ... we all have those issues.. next MRI make sure you get one WITH contrast...

Do you have any "fullness" in your ear, or facial numbness? headaches? or neck soreness? These are more advanced symptoms .. yours are early ones... they can be cause by other issues .. and usually are!!!... but an MRI w/contrast will rule out a tumor.... Let us know!!
4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital

Boppie

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2006, 08:41:26 pm »
Dave, did you get to see the films yourself?  The AN glows like a light bulb with contrast.  Can you carry or send your films to someone  else?  You own them.

Battyp

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2006, 10:40:26 pm »
Dave I see where you had contrast.  I would do as others advised and get a copy of your mri and send to house for a second opinion.  Many radiologists and ents do not see a lot of AN's so they can be easily missed.  It is possible to have tinnitus with and hearing loss with no An but hey why wait? 

Keep us updated!