Author Topic: Option for Contrast other than Gladolinium  (Read 2709 times)

mac84

Option for Contrast other than Gladolinium
« on: January 29, 2018, 12:48:54 pm »
Have read recently some negative results on longer term gladolinium effects (I'll try and grab the study article at home and update the post) that summarizes by saying that the gladolinium seems to collect in the body over time and repeated doses. They don't indicate any side effect from this but not sure I want to continue to pack that in there.  :o

Does anyone in the W/W have follow up MRI without contrast or with another contrast material?  Thanks....
Diagnosed 10/13/14 with 1.4cm AN L side
1st Consult with Vanderbilt 11//14
W/W.  Next MRI in April 2015 at Vanderbilt.
April 2015 MRI no growth -
April 2016 MRI no growth - still 1.46cm.
4/17: No growth!
4/18: No growth! MRI 2 yrs
4/20: No growth! Symptoms stable- MRI 2 yrs

ANSydney

Re: Option for Contrast other than Gladolinium
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2018, 02:49:59 pm »
Have read recently some negative results on longer term gladolinium effects (I'll try and grab the study article at home and update the post) that summarizes by saying that the gladolinium seems to collect in the body over time and repeated doses. They don't indicate any side effect from this but not sure I want to continue to pack that in there.  :o

Does anyone in the W/W have follow up MRI without contrast or with another contrast material?  Thanks....
I'm in the observation group, for almost 1.5 years now, and I've had three MRIs so far. The first, the diagnostic one, was done with contrast. The second was also done with contrast. For the third I switched to no contrast and the images are fine for measuring size. The fourth is booked for the end of this month and I've specified no contrast and to also include in the suite of MRI images.
* t2_tse_fs-dixon_cor_F (coronal view)
* t2_tse_fs-dixon_ax_F (axial view)
* t2_space_tra_iso (0.5 mm slices axial)

The key thing I think is to get some T2-weighted images with fast spin echo/turbo spin echo. The operator of the MRI will hopefully know which settings to use to get a decent image suitable for size measurement. I've had all my imaging done using a 1.5T (Tesla) machine. Again, the images I've had without contrast are suitable for size measurement, which is all I'm after at this stage. I also do the measurements myself and have the results the same morning the MRI is done and then see what the radiologist reports.

I don't like the idea of a heavy metal, even if it is chelated, being injected into my body. Wish I knew this at the time of my second MRI, but at that state all I was interested in was, did it grow significantly (which it didn't).

If there are any radiologist that can give good generic MRI settings for checking on size, I'd love to hear them. As I think many others would.

My algorithm for MRI imaging is to get the first (diagnostic) MRI done with gadolinium contrast agent and then to switch to the appropriate T2 weighted image from then on.

mac84

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2018, 03:31:24 pm »
ANSydney, thank you! EXACTLY the info I needed!  I have mine done at Vanderbilt..surely they can speak this language!

LakeErie

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2018, 09:55:27 pm »
I know of a recent article about gadolinium accumulating in the brain from August 7, 2017 - Science Daily - the source is Case Western Reserve University medical school which is affiliated with the Cleveland Clinic where I had both my AN treatments. My neurosurgeon is the long time co-director of the Clinic's Gamma Knife Center and he has no problem with my follow up MRI's being done without contrast and the different MRI settings if I want to be on the "safe side." While I am technically not in W&W which you specifically asked about, I think it is fair to say I am watching post treatment and am measured for growth without contrast.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2018, 09:58:05 pm by LakeErie »
4.7 cm x 3.6 cm x 3.2 cm vestibular schwannoma
Simplified retrosigmoid @ Cleveland Clinic 10/06/2011
Rt SSD, numbness, vocal cord and swallowing problems
Vocal cord and swallowing normalized at 16 months. Numbness persists.
Regrowth 09/19/2016
GK 10/12/2016 Cleveland Clinic
facial weakness Jan 2017

mac84

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2018, 07:26:58 am »
Thanks LakeErie. I called my Dr's office at Vanderbilt yesterday and told them I didn't want the contrast this next time. The nurse advised that she'd relay this to the Dr but asked me what my decision would be on the MRI if the Dr did not want to do it without the gladolinium. I told her that if this was his decision that he needed to call me and tell me why he wanted to use it. We'll see what he says. I'm scheduled for end of April so plenty of time to look at the issue. She said this was the first time she'd ever heard of any issues with it.....I directed her to the studies that I've read recently, including the one you cite.

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2018, 07:11:50 pm »
So awkward for a nurse to say something like "I've never heard of that..." or "no one else has ever asked..."!   Today, I asked my new Harvard trained neurosurgeon the same question you have ( 'cause I found out my mom had a serious allergic reaction to gadolinium, know I've had enough already myself, and, like you, decided I want no more.)  Just as "ANSydney" described in the lovely answer posted earlier,  my neurosurgeon said the MRI techs will take T2 images at angles/"cuts" and then the radiologist will be able to size my tumor without contrast.  Wishing you good luck with this! 

mac84

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2018, 07:23:47 am »
Heard back from the Dr's office....he changed the orders to "No Contrast" - Glad I called!

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2018, 03:44:22 pm »
Good for you for calling!!  Glad it worked out.  This diagnosis is initially very scary.  Even with mild symptoms & small tumors , many of us go through a 6 month from first MRI to an annual test every year until year 5.   If no growth reported, if symptoms are worsening, if your life isn't too impaired by you AN, you may have reached the point where you might want to talk to your doctor about longer intervals between MRIs.  See what he or she says about that.