Author Topic: Back ground noise problem  (Read 2888 times)

Gyate

Back ground noise problem
« on: January 25, 2018, 08:51:39 am »
I have had the Oticon Ponto power Plus for 2 years. It is totally useless in a noisy environment. I have had it adjusted many times but the Audiologist can`t seem to correct the problem. Also in a mildly noise place I can hear someone speaking directly in front of me but not someone beside me. has anyone experienced this and possibly found a fix?

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
Re: Back ground noise problem
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2018, 08:47:50 am »
Hi Gyate .....

Although I do not have the Power Plus, I find in noisy restaurants if I want to hear another person speaking, I cup my hand around my hearing ear to block out the noise behind and to the side of it.  The problem is not that the hearing device is useless, but rather being SSD (single side deaf).  All sounds are directed to the only working auditory nerve.  The brain simply no longer can distinguish location of sound so it perceives all of the sounds more equally to try to offset this.  At least this is how my audiologist explained it to me.

When I cup my ear, it blocks much of the useless noise and allows my Ponto to pick up the desired voices/sounds.

Hope that helps.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

Gyate

Re: Back ground noise problem
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2018, 03:51:35 pm »
Thank for the quick reply. I went to my audiologist today and she adjusted the ponto to cut some of the background noise out in program #2. Seems to help some but i haven`t been in a really loud place yet. It bothers me that Oticon says that it improves hearing in noise environment when it really doesn`t. My audi said it would help to get a hearing aid in my good ear which has only a 10% loss in high frequencies. I have cupped my ear to hear but would rather use the technology that Oticon says it has. I have an appointment with the VA for the other hearing aid and I will make known the results.