Author Topic: Length of Recovery & Traveling Home  (Read 3655 times)

Jakey

Length of Recovery & Traveling Home
« on: January 17, 2018, 05:30:38 am »
Hi,

I am likely going to need surgery in the coming year and i’ve started checking out surgeons.  I live in the NYC/Northern NJ metro. 

Two questions:
1) I see Dr Sisti mentioned a lot.  Any other NYC docs recommended for a mid-fossa approach?
2) Also talking to Slattery at House in LA, and I like him a lot. If I were to go there, could I fly home immediately after the surgery? If not, how long should I expect to have to stay in Los Angeles for the post-op recovery before I can go home?  Is it a week?  A month?  Longer??  Would my wife or someone else have to stay with me in LA the whole time, or could I manage on my own in LA post-op?  We have kids in school, dogs to care for, etc, having it done locally here in NYC does have its appeal.

JLR

Re: Length of Recovery & Traveling Home
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2018, 07:46:05 pm »
I had surgery last year with Dr. Philip Stieg and Dr. Samuel Selesnick. Both are with Weil Cornell in NYC. With procedure done at NY Presbyterian Top facilities in country!!  You probably will need someone with you should you chose LA. There are many excellent surgeons in NYC. Stay well.

Jakey

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2018, 05:18:28 am »
Thank you, that’s just what I needed.  Was looking for a NYC referral.  Had a highly recommended surgeon in northern NJ, but didn’t really connect w/him and was hoping to find someone else while it’s still early in my adventure here.  Knew there had to be some leading docs in Manhattan, but was having trouble narrowing it down and wanted a patient referral from these ANA boards. Much appreciated.

robertweeks

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2018, 03:58:56 pm »
I also had surgery at House Clinic, three years ago in 2015.  I had retrosigmoid on the right side.  I was in the hospital for five days and then spent 5 days staying in their guest facility next door.  There was no risk in flying after the surgery, but they wanted me to stay close for about ten days to monitor for any complications.   HTH.