Author Topic: gold weight and MRI  (Read 12652 times)

Zan

gold weight and MRI
« on: December 13, 2017, 02:04:55 pm »
I just had my follow up with my eye surgeon. When I asked him about long term care and precautions,
He said "nothing special, but you can't get MRIs anymore".  I was so surprised since I know that a lot of you have weights and, I am assuming, you still get MRIs.  I searched the forum and found some old posts that mostly mentioned platinum weights, but all said that it was okay to get MRIs. 
So, I am curious, is this a new thing, or is my doctor wrong?

alabamajane

Re: gold weight and MRI
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2017, 05:24:15 pm »
San,
I had my gold weight for only a year 6 years ago,,  and I really can’t remember having an MRI with it but don’t remember being told I could not. I don’t believe it would be a problem but that’s just my opinion. You could always ask at the radiology Dept of the hospital.

I do have a post implanted in my skull for my BAHA hearing device and that is not a problem.
 Maybe someone else will respond with better info. Sorry. I just don’t remember it being a problem.

I will say that keeping your eye well lubricated is of utmost importance,,, ointment at night may help. I used it often and still do occasionally.

Good luck,,, maybe you won’t have yours long either!
Jane
translab Oct 27, 2011
facial nerve graft Oct 31,2011, eyelid weight removed Oct 2013, eye closes well

BAHA surgery Oct. 2014, activated Dec. 26

kkc

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2017, 05:53:01 pm »
My experience:  I had my gold weight placed in January 2017 - and had an AN follow up MRI three months later.  Both my oculoplastic  surgeon and the MRI technician said it was fine.  The MRI tech took the time to look it up in the machine's manual to verify that it was OK.

vickieastwood

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2017, 10:53:03 am »
Same here. I got a gold weight in 2015 and had an MRI in 2016 with no issues.

LakeErie

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2018, 02:19:02 pm »
An MRI is Magnetic Resonance Imaging. Gold is a non-magnetic metal so safe to use in MRI's.
4.7 cm x 3.6 cm x 3.2 cm vestibular schwannoma
Simplified retrosigmoid @ Cleveland Clinic 10/06/2011
Rt SSD, numbness, vocal cord and swallowing problems
Vocal cord and swallowing normalized at 16 months. Numbness persists.
Regrowth 09/19/2016
GK 10/12/2016 Cleveland Clinic
facial weakness Jan 2017

JLR

Eye night time ointment
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2018, 05:14:47 am »
Have been using Refresh PM ointment for many months since my surgery 11-1-16 retrosig right side AN. Now I'm unable to get. Had a recall. Off shelves till spring. Any suggestions for a preservative free eye ointment, Thanks, Joan

alabamajane

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2018, 12:58:58 pm »
Joan,
Good info,,, I wondered last time I looked for Refresh PM why there was none. Interesting,,,

I have Systane gel nighttime right now; however, I don’t use it nightly. It is not as thick as Refresh PM ointment though and may not feel as good to you. I don’t need it as often any longer so this is sufficient.

Hope you can find something that helps until Refresh comes out again.
Thanks for post,,
Jane
translab Oct 27, 2011

Jill Marie

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2018, 09:26:14 pm »
Hi Joan,  I use Bausch and Lomb Soothe  Eye Ointment, a bit cheaper then some ointments.  It seems that different ointments work different for everyone, it depends on whether you can blink or not, how many tears you produce, how well the muscles around your eye works.  Hope this one works for you.  Jill ;)
Facial Nerve Neuroma removed 6/15/92 by Dr. Charles Mangham, Seattle Ear Clinic. Deaf/left ear, left eye doesn't water.

JLR

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2018, 05:24:05 am »
Thank you Jill and Jane.  I appreciate the quick response. My eye does close. The muscles are working around my eye which is a good improvement since I had surgery Nov 2016,  but why did this happen to us.  Is it the the placement of the tumor, the tiny bit left of facial nerve? It's so upsetting.  I have made remarkable progress I'm even now driving.  My gait is much improved too.  But why did we have this problem.  So many people on this forum have the surgery with zero complications but many do and we all have nearly the same complications. Why?? I'm just venting this morning as I again each morning put drops in my eye. Have a great day.  Stay warm.  Joan

alabamajane

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2018, 08:19:19 pm »
Joan,,
I truly sorry for your complications and facial issues,, it does suck,,,  but I hope you see good recovery soon. It does take great patience when you have issues,, something I had to develop!

In my case, I had my facial nerve severed in surgery due to the tumor growing through it as I was told,,, it could not be saved. So I had a nerve graft 4 days later in order to attempt to recover some movement and muscle tone. It was successful.

If your nerve was not severed, perhaps your recovery will be sooner and more thorough,,

As to why some have complications and others don’t,,, I’d say, in my opinion,, it is due to the “ nature of the beast”,,,,, these tumors are different in many ways for each of us. Location, size, “ stickiness”, cystic, etc etc,,,

It is hard for sure to deal daily with the eye issues etc,, but try to stay positive,, develop patience,, and realize it will soon start to improve for you. ,,,
I have no magic words,    Sorry,,,,, except I’m here for you !

Peace,,
Jane

translab Oct 27, 2011

JLR

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2018, 05:26:25 am »
Thanks so much for your very thoughtful response. My tumor was a radiated one.  Had CK first years before. I'm guessing that made a difference in my recovery since tumor was misshaped. I've been doing eye drops for over a year now. But I know my situation can be much worst. Healthy Happy New Year! Joan

Jill Marie

« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2018, 10:10:34 pm »
Hi Joan,

Glad to hear your driving now, I didn't drive for 3 years, then my husband was out a job and I needed to go back to work so I got a job  and started driving again.  The more you walk, hike, bike, etc. the better your gait will get.  I had a facial nerve tumor so my issues weren't surprising, except that my doctor told me my eye wouldn't close but it would tear again, my eye closes (90%) and my eye doesn't tear.  I've been putting ointment in my eye everyday, all day for 25 years this June so i get your frustration and need to vent.  I use to have big pity parties then I would get back to doing the best I could, now I just have small pity parties but not very often.  I will retire in a year from the same job I got 3 years after my surgery. 

As Jane said, we're here for you, so continue to ask questions and vent!  Jill :)
Facial Nerve Neuroma removed 6/15/92 by Dr. Charles Mangham, Seattle Ear Clinic. Deaf/left ear, left eye doesn't water.

JLR

« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2018, 05:35:58 am »
Thank you so much for your comforting words.  Yes I too have a pity party at times. But I know there is always someone way worse than me so I cool it! A piece of chocolate really does help now and then.  Today I'm heading to eye doc as my eye once again feels a little gritty. And I seem to close it often as it feels better when I do that.  I use drops during day and ointment at night. Perhaps I need to use the ointment during the day again.  Thanks again, Joan

Jill Marie

« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2018, 02:28:24 pm »
Hi Joan,  I'm at work so just a quick note.  Have you looked into getting a contact lens, either a scleral or daily use lens? 

JLR

« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2018, 05:56:13 am »
I'm going to check out a lens for sure although I went to eye doc yesterday and he thought eye looked great. Almost no dryness. But to continue with drops and ointment but he had no answer for my facial swelling up near eye. He said all part of nerves rejuvenating. That means he doesn't know!!  Anyone else have facial edema. Thanks, Joan oh anyone have Doctor recommendation either at Eye Hospital in NYC and MASS General. Thanks.