Author Topic: immunotherapy  (Read 3855 times)

oh, now what

immunotherapy
« on: March 02, 2016, 02:51:17 pm »
Does anyone have experience with or information about immunotherapy treatment for ANs? Apparently we (NF2 and sporadic)are all deficient in merlin. I have only found minimal information and have not found a clinical trial in which I could participate. After seeing some of the success in treating glioblastoma, I was hoping there would be something available for an AN.
midfossa Wilkinson, Schwartz, Basta, Roberts @ House 4/13/2016, sticky 1.2 x 0.7 x 0.8, no pain ever, facial nerve preserved (camera cannot tell any difference) hearing not, age 64, walking 2 miles daily unless lightning, heat or ice--if you can, work up to walking 2 miles per day, the magic pill

Bomberman

Re: immunotherapy
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2017, 08:04:48 pm »
I have the same question. I have heard about cancer therapies like checkpoint blockade antibodies and chimeric antigen receptor t-cells. Anyone has done this or heard of this?
The first way is to use antibodies to block something in your immune cells that cause it to think the tumor is healthy cells. Then your immune system will kill it.
The other way is to take one of your tcells from your blood, make it learn one of the proteins that only exist on your tumor, reproducing many of those cells, and then injecting it back into your body. Then your own body will start to reproduce those to kill your tumor.

Spread this around I think there is potential and was only developed these few years for general cancer types.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2017, 08:13:02 pm by Bomberman »

ANSydney

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2017, 08:58:21 pm »
Bomberman, thanks for that. I like the idea of "training" T cells to "invade" the tumor. Sounds a heck of a lot better than drilling a hole in the side of your head and pocking around for the tumor or sending radiation through your head.

This, or a pharmacological solution, has got to happen sometime!

Bomberman

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2018, 12:19:55 pm »
This article came out yesterday and looks very promising: https://med.stanford.edu/news/all-news/2018/01/cancer-vaccine-eliminates-tumors-in-mice.html

I am currently in a immunology lab.
CAR-T therapy is more for blood tumors while CBA is better for solid tumors.
CAR-T is also being researched for solid tumors as well.
Both have been FDA approved in 2015 and 2017, but only for specific type of cancers.

ANSydney

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2018, 03:52:39 pm »
Thanks Bomberman. I like reading these sort of articles because it provides hope for the future. Not only for us AN suffers, but cancer patients as well. I'll look at this subject with interest.