Author Topic: New and very anxious  (Read 8464 times)

alabamajane

Re: New and very anxious
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2017, 02:00:57 pm »
I got a free copy from the hospital that did mine. I just told them it was for a second opinion Dr.

Good luck. There are some other facilities that also do that but not sure right off hand who. Others will know.
I am glad you got appointment moved up! Let us know what he says.

Jane
translab Oct 27, 2011
facial nerve graft Oct 31,2011, eyelid weight removed Oct 2013, eye closes well

BAHA surgery Oct. 2014, activated Dec. 26

dsf767

« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2017, 01:54:59 pm »
So Met with both Dr. McKenna and Dr. Barker yesterday they were both great with a wealth of information and made me feel like they are the right team to do my Surgery because I wont have to fly across the country and they said on average they do about 2 of these AN procedures per week. So obviously 2 Doctors with tons of experience dealing with these things and I know a lot of other people have used them here with great success so I hope to fall in the same category.

New information I learned is my exact measurement is around 3.5cm so large but not the largest that's been on here for sure and that my AN does not extend very far into the ear canal which is why I still only have mild hearing loss instead of it being much worse.       

I now know that I will with a 99% certainty lost my hearing in that ear which I expected going in so that's not new news but what made me feel better was how much both stressed their main concern in doing these procedures are to preserve my facial nerve so hoping that leads to a positive outcome in that department.

I also learned they want to get this scheduled because of its size and it was great that Dr McKenna's office was able to get me in with Barker the same day even though I didn't have an appointment to egt on their scheduling radar so in all likelihood I will be in Surgery in about 6 weeks time. 

alabamajane

« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2017, 04:53:01 pm »
Thanks for the update dsf767,,,

It is good to get the concrete info from a doctor,, things become much more clear. I am glad you are so comfortable and confident in the team. That is of the utmost importance! That makes your decision much easier also,,,

You can still send a copy of the MRI out to House, IF you like, just to get their opinion of how they would approach it. It is invaluable info to have even when you are not going out there. It is so generous of them to provide the service.

Anyway,, I am glad you have made your decision and feel so at ease with it. Many people on here have used that team with excellent results,, congrats,, and best of luck,,
Stay focused!

Jane
translab Oct 27, 2011
facial nerve graft Oct 31,2011, eyelid weight removed Oct 2013, eye closes well

BAHA surgery Oct. 2014, activated Dec. 26

rosemarykn

« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2017, 03:59:52 pm »
I had translab surgery with Dr. Lee from MEEI and Dr. Barker at MGH in April 2016.  Did lose hearing and balance on the left side as expected. Very pleased that there was no facial nerve damage.  I was happy that I live not far from Boston and was able to have a great team.  I had a long recovery with five months of vestibular therapy but do not feel it was any fault of all the fine people who helped me.

ANSydney

« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2017, 02:10:58 am »
dsf767, did you get a copy of your radiologists report. I'd be interested in what it says.