Author Topic: Noise sensitivity  (Read 2145 times)

mlintzenich

Noise sensitivity
« on: November 03, 2017, 12:13:55 pm »
I am new to the group but thought this might be a good place to ask for advice.  I was diagnosed with a 1.9 CM AN in early June of this year. Watching and waiting.  Typical symptoms such as constant high-pitched tinnitus, some balance issues, and pretty severe hearing loss in affected ear.  A symptom I haven't seen much written about but one that concerns me is a heightened sensitivity to loud noises, particularly crowd noises.  I plan to attend an NFL game in a week or so and am quite concerned that I will be miserable.  It's a family outing that I really would hate to miss.  I wondered if wearing some good earplugs in both ears or just one in my "bad' ear might help.  Anyone tried this?  Thanks.

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
Re: Noise sensitivity
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2017, 02:05:35 pm »
Hi mlitzenich .....

Hypersensitivity in the good hearing ear is not uncommon when one experiences severe hearing loss in one ear only.  It is sort of like the brain overcompensating for the loss by spiking the volume in the good ear.

Early on I had my audiologist at the time make a custom-made musician's earplug for me.  It works beautifully when I know I am going to be in a loud situation.  You might want to explore that.  In the meantime, definitely take good over-the-counter earplugs and plug the good hearing ear, at least.

Best wishes.  Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

mlintzenich

Re: Noise sensitivity
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2017, 03:40:22 pm »
Thanks, Clarice.  Silly me!  I didn't realize the hypersensitivity was in my "good" ear!  I'm learning something new every day.  Makes sense.  I appreciate your input.