Author Topic: What are the most common side-effects after surgery??  (Read 8219 times)

jan pentecost

What are the most common side-effects after surgery??
« on: April 11, 2005, 01:25:28 pm »
I was diagnosed on the 6th of April but have known for almost a year that I have an AN. I was in nursing a long time and did alot of research via the net and as a matter of deduction.....I knew it was just that. But hearing the words from the surgean still floored me.
I am having a translab approach. I have about 10% hearing in the left ear. It isn't salvagable....and may opt for a Baja implant. I am waiting to hear back from th insurance company for approval on the implant.
My question to those of you who have gone thru surgery.....what should I most likely expect when I wakeup...what are the most common....if there is such a thing as common...side effect(s)? How much hair to the shave off? How big a dressing? What are the movements allowed for a person having the translab approach? How long before I get up and asround...or will I want to? How long did most of you stay in the hospital?
I have a million more questions for those of you who have actually gone thru this and would appreciate any emails.....
I am scared of the unknown.....and having my head opened up.....but feel the procedure is pretty safe......I am more afraid of facial paralysis....I have no symptoms of facial nerve involvemnet...yet. I have balnace problems and majorly decresed hearing......and that feeling that my ear is stuffed with cotton.
Oh, yeah....does that feeling go away after the surgery anmd recovery process...and the noises in the ear.....
Thanks for listening and please..........talk to me!!!
Jan Pentecost ;D
1.7 cm Left Side
May 3, 2005
Dr. R. Sterling Hodgson
Legacy Emaunuel Hospital
Portland, Oregon

Jsoule

Re: What are the most common side-effects after surgery??
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2005, 07:22:42 pm »
Hi Jan, I could have written your letter just 6 months ago. I am a nurse and also come to the conclusion of an AN after research on the net, and process of elimination regarding symptoms. My hearing was terrable in the left ear and have mild unsteady feelings most of the time.My tumor was 1.7cm.  I elected to have the translab procedure as my hearing was not worth saving. The nurse shaved about a one inch section from the fromt on my ear to the back. I have long hair so it has always been covered up since. My surgery was 3 and 1/2 hours long. I woke up after they moved me to the ICU and boy was I hungry. Lots of people, as you know have nausea after surgery, but I didnt. The nurses were kind enough to give me ice chips, but I wanted Chinese food something awful...I did take IV pain meds for the first 24 hours. I had pain in my neck and shoulder, from laying in one position for a long time . Not terrably uncomfortable, but helped me rest. I tend to get hyper after surgery, so I remember my husband coming in every hour to check on me.They finally told him to go to his room and let me sleep. Rules you know... The next day I was moved to the regular surgical floor. The dressing is funny looking. I looked like I had a Christmas bow around my head. My vision was alittle blurry and some numbness on the operative side of my face. I was on the surgical floor for 3 days then transferred to the after surgery hotel, where family can stay until discharge. Since we had to fly home we stayed a total of 9 days after the surgery and flying was not a problem. Post-surgery was as they said. I was very tired, and worked on balance exercises daily. I was told that if you have balance issues before surgery, you have already had your brain working to figure things out.It's alittle easier than for someone who didn't have balance issues before surgery. I went back to work 5 weeks post op and have been good ever since. No facial problems, mild dry eyes, and of course adjusting to the hearing loss. Hasn't been a major problem at this time. Tough in loud places like resturants..I feel great, don't think my stamina is 100% yet, but pretty close. Balance is still off some, and hope it continues to improve with challenges. Walking helps.I know how scared your are and the waiting is just awful . I'm very pleased with my decision and more importantly the choice of Dr's I went to. It's important to have MD's who do this a lot. If I can be of any more help to you feel free to e-mail or we could talk over the phone. Sincerely, Julie

rebecca

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2005, 12:03:29 pm »
Greetings!

I also had a translabyrinthian approach for a 3 centimeter tumor (considered large).  My surgeons told me to expect facial paralysis which was extremely difficult to deal with on the front end (and the back end).  My hearing could not be salvaged through the translabyrinthian approach as the hearing nerve had to be severed.  One of my surgeons actually developed and patented the hearing monitor that is often used in acoustic neuroma surgery (albeit it was not necessary in my surgery as they knew they would sever the nerve).  The surgeons did attach monitors to my face to monitor the facial nerve and as luck would have it found the nerve straight away so that it was not damaged other than typical swelling. 

I did suffer facial paralysis post-surgery.  I am 4 months out and the paralysis has improved dramatically and my surgeons believe that I will recover 100%. 

The surgery itself was an 8 hour procedure.  I was in ICU for one day and they actually wanted to release me after 2 days!  I opted to stay in another day.  Afterward, I was up and about doing my regular routine, exercising and taking care of my 8 year old daughter.  I did have family stay with me for about one month, as I was unable to drive and my stamina was limited.  I spent a good deal of time each day resting.  After 2 months, I was back to work full time.

I think the very hardest part was the facial paralysis--not only because our face is so common to us, but there also was some speech difficulty (I couldn't pronounce my "b" and "p"s).  I had to eat soup for a bit, drink from a straw and cut my medication in half in order to swallow it.

After all of that however, I am very thankful to be alive and healthy.  I thank God each day for each new blessing.

Oh, and you'll get a little tummy tuck out of the deal (at least on one side of the stomach).  They take fat from the stomach and fill the area where they have ressected the tumor to avoid air pockets.

You won't be able to tell where they've shaved your head.  It's just a small area behind the ear and the dressing will likely be removed after a couple of days.

Best of luck to you and God be with you and your surgeons!

okiesandy

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2005, 09:15:08 pm »
Gads, the more I read the more confused I become.  I am three years from retirement and can't afford to blow it now.  I have a 1.5x1.0 AN. One day I decide it is translab for me and the next day FSR.   Side effects, side effects. I am out of balance and tired now.  Just what is normal after surgery.  Does every one have facial paralysis?  Does balance ever come back to a good level?  Or normal ever? Surgen tells me one thing and these posts telll a much different story. I guess I am past terror and into the pissed off stage. I can't be off work 6 month or even 2. I won't have a job by then.
Cyberknife 1/2006
Clinton Medbery III & Mary K. Gumerlock
St Anthony's Hospital
Oklahoma City, OK
Name of Tumor: Ivan (may he rest in peace)

rebecca

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2005, 10:47:08 am »
Hello again!

It sounds like you have a relatively small tumor.  My tumor was large which is why the doctors told me to expect facial paralysis, because the facial nerve was sitting on the tumor like a piece of cellophane.  But, on a more encouraging note, they said that the paralaysis would likely not be permanent.  I would imagine you have much better odds that I did because of the smaller size of your tumor.  Your doctors will advise you about this. 

I was only out of work for two months and had no loss of balance whatsoever--My only real side effect was the facial paralysis, which is now (at four months post-surgery) about 80% corrected--most people say they can't believe how quickly I recovered- incuding my doctors.
Chances are, you won't suffer from the balance issue post-surgery because the neuroma is what is making you off balance. 

I found a very good web-site -- emedicine.com--just search for acoustic neuroma--you may need to sign in to get the full document.  It discusses translab and fsr as well.

Be of good cheer.  The acoustic neuroma is benign and your tumor is considered small.  One of the most important things is the team of doctors that is working on you.

Cheryl R

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2005, 11:49:18 am »
    Hello.      I had mid fossa surgery for a  1.2 cm tumor 3 1/2 yrs ago.       There is such a wide variiation on how you may feel past surgery.    Part can depend on where your tumor is located as it can push on the nerves and cause damage.     Since you are having balance problems now the body should have compensated some already.    I was never dizzy post op.   I did have the unstrady off balance feel esp when in large open areas outside or in big stores and malls.   I still do have some of that feel esp on windy days when outside. I may weave a bit as I walk then but it doesn't cause me to not do anything I want outside.         I had facial paralysis for 3 1/2 mos as the tumor had pushed on my facial nerve but then regained full movement.     I was back to work as a nurse in 2 mos.                 I have some AN friends who chose surgery that have no facial paralysis but most do have some of the off balance feel for a time.     Being active post op is a big help in recovering from this.      The one sided deafness is annoying but one adjusts in time.       The recovery takes time but the long tern recovery is more of a thing where you are back to your normal activities but look fine but still don't feel quite right .   
Good luck to you and in your choice of treatment.               Cheryl R.
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

rebecca

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2005, 12:37:20 pm »
Hello again!

It sounds like you have a relatively small tumor.  My tumor was large which is why the doctors told me to expect facial paralysis, because the facial nerve was sitting on the tumor like a piece of cellophane.  But, on a more encouraging note, they said that the paralaysis would likely not be permanent.  I would imagine you have much better odds that I did because of the smaller size of your tumor.  Your doctors will advise you about this. 

I was only out of work for two months and had no loss of balance whatsoever--My only real side effect was the facial paralysis, which is now (at four months post-surgery) about 80% corrected--most people say they can't believe how quickly I recovered- incuding my doctors.
Chances are, you won't suffer from the balance issue post-surgery because the neuroma is what is making you off balance. 

I found a very good web-site -- emedicine.com--just search for acoustic neuroma--you may need to sign in to get the full document.  It discusses translab and fsr as well.

Be of good cheer.  The acoustic neuroma is benign and your tumor is considered small.  One very important aspect is the team of doctors that is working on you.

MyrnaB

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2005, 03:12:26 pm »
I had translab surgery on Feb 15, 2005.  My facial nerve was totally enveloped in by the tumor but I have no facial paralysis.  I went home from the hospital on the fourth day.  I don't remember anything being a horrible experience.  I had some difficulty with balance but I saw many good changes within the first month.  My biggest problem after 3 months is this weird "disconnected" feeling.  It is like I have had a few drinks.  This feeling makes me feel unbalanced and keeps me from driving at night.  I did lose my hearing in my right ear and I had no hearing loss before the surgery.  It has been easy for me to get use to.  I may check into the Baha later.  My surgeon has offered me the experience of a Baha simulator in July.  Ought to be interesting.  My tumor was 2 cm.  I feel like my memory is not as good as it was before.  But, looking at all this, I have to still say I was blessed enough to have a tumor that was not cancer and was operable.  I am able to love and enjoy my family as before.  I wish you well and good luck in your decision with your tumor.  Whatever you decide will be the right way to go for you.  God Bless,  Myrna

mike

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2005, 02:38:49 am »
I was diagnosed with a AN of the right ear June 2002 after being struck from behind in a motor vehicle accident.  Prior to the accident I was physically sound though recovering from a heart attack.  A couple of weeks later and I start to notice balance problems and dizziness.  Seeking help via a chiropractic approach, I finally got them to schedule me for an MRI (discovering the tumor) and then was immediately told to seek medical assistance.
The doctor I saw (Dallas, TX) opted to observe the tumor for a period of time before recommending any treatment.  Problem is, the further I got from the date of the accident the worse and more frequent my headaches and seizures became (11 on a scale of 1-10 and violent shaking).  October 2002 the problems got to the polint that I could no longer endure them and opted for surgery.
I woke up from the 6 or so hour surgery with a 3" semi-circular incision behind the right ear.  Barely any hair at all was removed.  I had a rather large cotton ball (probably 6" diameter x 2" thick) strapped around my head and on my right ear.  I was very hungry and found that my sense of taste was extemely perverted (late night & the kitchen was closed, wife went downstairs and managed to find of all things a pizza parlor open).  The one slice I tried to eat the cheese tasted like yellow goo and the sausage tasted like brown nothingless.  I had bruising about the right ear and underneath my right eye/cheek area.  All the literature the doctor had provided me prior to surgery talking about Tinnitus manifested itself.  I mean to tell you I didn't have ringing, I had SCREAMING of the right ear and still do to this day.
I am still in the process of recovery and hope and pray that I really have not reached my point of maximum medical recovery.  Of late I have found that my condition is actually going backwards.  By this I mean that I normally live in a state of drunkeness.  If I turn suddenly or frequently I get VERY dizzy quickly.  My walking is very poor due to constantly leaning off balance and stumbling.  My headaches continue, frequently causing me to stay in bed two or more days of the week.  Only a heating pad and bedrest seem to help.  Usually the symtoms will go away or subside at the end of the day or perhaps the following day.
Remembering physics from high school about an object in motion and sorely wanting to exercise (pronounced deconditioning), I returned to bike riding.  My doctor got mad but I told him about the law of physics and an object wanting to stay in motion...you get the rest.  I can peddle for 20 miles but walk across the room like a drunk, typically falling off towards the right.  Though I suffer from vertigo and dizziness, I have adapted by turning my head and eyes very slowly, thereby getting around some of the problems.  I was very fortunate re. facial nerve damage.  None was ever encountered.

rickhausner

« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2005, 02:51:11 pm »
    Dear Jan,
First time to answer any questions! I had my surgery on a Thursday and thought I was leaving the hospital Monday. I felt so good I was rolled down stairs and smoked a cigarette. I got sick to my stomach avd was stuck there four more days.
Let me say this first; my doctor told me my tumor was the size of a tennisball,so I'm sure my case is a lot more extreme than yours. I'm a master plumberand my work is phisycal and hazardous(heights) but i can still work with the best of them.I had a constant ringing in my ears after surgery, almost drove me crazy, my doctor gavr me some good advice; always keep the tv or radio on. It helps, will go away!
You WII BE FINE,
                                                                                              Richard Hausner

jan pentecost

« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2005, 04:12:00 pm »
There is a side effect I wasn't aware of and I have addressed this on another section of this board. Besides many effects of having this surgery....one is a metallic taste in your mouth. For me, foods taste different depending which side of my mouth it is in. SOme foods I love don't taste good at all....so I try to keep food on the right side of my mouth....unless it's ucky tasting...it all taste the same on my affected side!!
jan
1.7 cm Left Side
May 3, 2005
Dr. R. Sterling Hodgson
Legacy Emaunuel Hospital
Portland, Oregon