Author Topic: Trans Lab Surgery at House  (Read 8144 times)

Crystal

Trans Lab Surgery at House
« on: November 13, 2006, 01:17:12 pm »
Hello,

I was wondering how much they shave your head for Trans Lab?  Does anybody know of a picture somewhere that shows this?  AM wondering if I need to take some kind of a hat with me.  I will be traveling for my surgery by plane, and will stay for two weeks before comming home. 

Thank you.
Dr. Chang - Stanford U - April 2004 Cyberknife 15mm X 12mm
Dr. Schwartz and Doctor Luxford - House Ear Clinic - Dec 2006 Translab 19.1mm X 15mm

kstanley

Re: Trans Lab Surgery at House
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2006, 01:49:19 pm »
Hi!

I had trans-lab surgery at House in March 2005.  They shaved about an inch wide the area from the top of my ear down.  If you have medium to long hair- you won't even notice when your hair is down!  I was told to bring one of those bucket style hats.  They are good because they are looser than a baseball cap and won't irritate the incision area.  Let me know if you have any other questions about things to bring with you!

-Kara Stanley
5 cm Acoustic Neuroma
Trans-Lab
Removed March 31, 2005 at House Ear Clinic
Drs. Friedman and Schwartz

krbonner

• www.facebook.com/krbonner, bunnums on Twitter
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2006, 03:49:08 pm »
I've attached a photo of me taken 6 days post-op (translab).  I think they shaved a lot on me compared to what a lot of other people describe.  But it's growing back quickly.  Even immediately post-op no one could tell if my hair was down (it's about jaw-length).  I did cut my hair just before surgery (it was below my shoulders) and I'm very glad I did - it took four sessions in the bath to scrub all the dead skin, blood, ooze, and medical goop off my hair.  I can't imagine doing that with long hair!  LOL!

Katie
diagnosed June 2005
2.3cmx1.6cmx1.4cm left AN
translab Sept 13, 2006; Drs. McKenna and Barker in MA (MEEI/MGH)

Crystal

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2006, 06:06:25 pm »
Thank you for the picture an advice Ladies -  any tips you can give me of items to to have on hand at home or take with me for surgery?  Someone told me to take a comfy neck roll or pillow.

I don't have little ones at home.  My youngest is 13 and my oldest is 25.

Hubby will be with me in LA.  He is a trooper but is not good at stomaching incisions.  Yikes!  I am afraid he will freak.  We have been married for 18 years.  I hope he does not pass out when he sees me.  :'(
Dr. Schwartz and Doctor Luxford - House Ear Clinic - Dec 2006 Translab 19.1mm X 15mm

Obita

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2006, 06:39:20 pm »
Hi Crystal:

Here is my incision: 

I took a bandana with me the day I got my pressure bandage off......and am I ever glad I did.  I looked like Bart Simpson until I washed my hair. 

Show your husband our pictures.  Better he faints now than later.  I don't know how long the pressure bandage is left on at House but mine was on for 5 days.  Your husband won't see your incision for at least a few days.

Yes, a good pillow is a must.  The pressure bandage is a bit thick on your AN side so your head won't lay flat.  Probably another reason my neck hurt. 

Kathy

Kathy - Age 54
2.5 cm translab May '04
University of Minnesota - Minneapolis
Dr. Sam Levine - Dr. Stephen Haines

lisa2

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2006, 09:34:49 am »
I had traslab at House on 10/17/06.  My hair is shoulder length and you can't even tell I had surgery.  The hair just drapes over the incision site.

Crystal

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2006, 07:29:23 pm »
Hi Lisa,

Did they shave more than two fingers?  Stupid of me to worry about that.  But besides hoping for my facial nerve I am worried about hubby getting through this. :P

I just found out someone who worked at my company had surgery in Seattle, it grew back, then went to house and is so far doing very well.  Makes me feel better about my decision with House!

Gennysmom

• Genny says "La!"
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2006, 09:10:10 pm »
Crystal...I had translab in Seattle!  I just had my 3 month MRI and it was clear.  Who was their surgeon?  You can't even tell they shaved my head, I have long hair and I'd say they shaved about 1 fingers worth.  My scar follows the shadow of my earlobe, it's very small, smaller than Katies or Kathy's.  My surgery was 6 1/2 hours and I did end up with a quarter sized bald spot on my opposite side, apparently from my head resting on the table for so long.  Just FYI.
3.1cm x 2.0cm x 2.1cm rt AN Translab 7/5/06
CSF leak 7/17/06 fixed by 8 day lumbar drain
Dr. Backous, Virgina Mason Seattle
12/26/07 started wearing TransEar

lisa2

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2006, 06:34:43 pm »
Crystal,

They shaved about 2 fingers - You really can't tell.  House was a great experience (for having brain surgery).  I don't have any balance issues - I'm driving (during the day) and walking at the gym.  I am going back to work at 6 weeks.  I have some facial paralysis (temporary) but it's getting better everyday.The facial paralysis was scary at first but I'm seeing so much improvment that it's hard to remember how it looked to begin with.

Thanks,

Lisa

Crystal

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2006, 02:48:02 pm »
GennysMom -- I do not want to say the Doctor's name but I can see by your Tag it was not your Doctor.  Even so I understand that a number of people have regrowths not at all attributable to the Doctor in question, it might be just bad luck.

Everybody thanks for the positive comments.  So glad to hear these great outcomes!  I have a nightly pattern of waking up at 2:00 in the morning with fear in my gut.  Then by 3:00 I go through the positive outcomes I have heard about in my brain and can get back to sleep.

Thank you all!

Gennysmom

• Genny says "La!"
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2006, 06:32:14 pm »
Crystal....I understand...it also has a lot to do with if the doctor needs to leave a little tumor in trade off for not scraping the nerves to the point of irreparable damage.  That little bit has a small risk to cause regrowth.  My first MRI came out clear, so I'm hoping for clear ones from here on out!

If the fear gets to you too much and you're not adverse to a little help, talk to your doctor about a situational anti-anxiety pill...it did wonders for me.  You only take it when you need it and you get a little of your life back.  I figured there was no need to fatigue my body to exaustion pre-treatment...I wanted to be as healthy as possible when I hit the surgical table. 
3.1cm x 2.0cm x 2.1cm rt AN Translab 7/5/06
CSF leak 7/17/06 fixed by 8 day lumbar drain
Dr. Backous, Virgina Mason Seattle
12/26/07 started wearing TransEar

Natalie

« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2006, 07:19:54 pm »
Hi, Crystal,
I also had trans lab AN removal two weeks ago.  My hair is about chin length, and you can hardly tell some is missing.  It looks a little thinner on the operated side.  Of course, in hospital I wasn't using a blow dryer, so it just plain looked dippy, but, so what?  I'm just glad to be this side of it.  My balance issues were negligible; I guess the tumor had already destroyed the vestibular nerve and my body had already learned to compensate.  I feel so blessed.  My tumor was about the size of a ping pong ball. 
Good things to take along- They let me wear my own pj's after the third day, and that felt good.  Take something to hug.  Makes wakeful nights feel better.  Also, it was nice to have something to tuck under my abdominal incision when I rolled a bit to the side.  Otherwise it would sag a bit and pull on the stitches.  My kids each donated a favorite stuffed animal
My husband was great, and I know yours will be, too.  Remember, he loves you, scars and all.  I nursed mine through triple bypass this June, so we now can compare surgeries and scars.
My husband and I enjoy reading aloud to each other.  Pick a good book ahead of time and take it with you.  He can read to you when you feel like being "sociable" but are not up to talking.  Makes it a little less boring for him, too. TV gets old.
Best of luck to you!!!
Natalie age 57
Trans lab  11/02/06
Dr. Gantz, University of Iowa Hospital
Total deafness right side, no balance problems
Right side facial paralysis

tagoins

« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2006, 10:26:35 am »
I just got home last night from House. I had translab on 11/15 to remove a recurrent a/n that was originally removed 12/03 middle fossa. My original surgery in 2003 was at OHSU in Portland Oregon. I cannot say enough good about everyone at House and St Vincents. It was a frightening proposition looking forward to it based on my experience 3 years ago, and it was not even close. The caring and compassion and exceptional knowledge there was incredible. After my first surgery, I was post op ICU 5 days before getting out of bed. At House, I was out of bed and into a chair the next day and on my feet the day after. Very shaky, yes, but I was up! Best of luck to you.

Crystal

« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2006, 03:21:36 am »
tagoins - Thanks for the note.  I am printing it and keeping it in my purse along with the other positives from House! :)

I fly down tuesday with Mom and Hubby.  Surgery is one week from tomorrow.  Yikes!

Boppie

« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2006, 02:12:36 pm »
Crystal, Good luck!  By Christmas day you will feel so relieved and happy with life!  And by this time next year, you will have a hard time remembering every single detail of your ordeal and wait.  It is true these tumors teach you more than every about "What to do while I Wait!" 

I bet your house is shiney clean.  Cleaning is such a great stress reliever.  ;D