Author Topic: a few things  (Read 2938 times)

marjoryb

a few things
« on: November 13, 2006, 09:45:01 am »
I'm 4 months post - op.   I had my AN surgically removed from the left side in July.   I'm noticing things now and would appreciate your comments :

1.  it hurts to sneeze and to cough- a little pain in the front of my head.
2.  my taste buds seem to have changed and food is not as flavorful and the consistency is weird.
3.  I can't blow out a candle - I had left side facial paralysis, but it is nearly restored.
4.  I feel dizzier now than I did a month ago
5.  my left eye still does not produce tears and does not blink - I can shut it together with my right eye but not by itself -  I have that "lizard" eye thing going on.
6.  My head still feels like I'm wearing a swimming/bathing cap that is too tight.
7.  My reflexes are slowed - I saw a piece of retread tire in the road the other day and knew that I had to move my car to avoid it, but I hit it anyway.

And.... what about skiing?   My husband scheduled us for a ski trip in January (that will be 6 months post-op).  Have any of you been skiing after surgery?    I think diizziness will be taken to new heights!!!

MarjoryB

matti

Re: a few things
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2006, 10:10:16 am »
Hi Marjory - I did/do experience everything on your list :(

Things that still plague me (8 years later) are everything on your list except #1. Also,the tight pony tail feeling started to go away last November and is pretty much back to normal.

I have gotten so used to all these things that it really doesn't bother me too much, except for the dizzy/wonky headed feeling.

I haven't given up on trying to blow my birthday candles out, I know it's going to happen one of these years ;)

hugs,
Cheryl
3.5 cm  - left side  Single sided deafness 
Middle Fossa Approach - California Ear Institute at Stanford - July 1998
Dr. Joseph Roberson and Dr. Gary Steinberg
Life is great at 50

marjoryb

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2006, 10:39:09 am »
   A tight pony tail - what a perfect way to describe it!

Marjoryb

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2006, 10:52:47 am »
>>  I can't blow out a candle - I had left side facial paralysis, but it is nearly restored.

I can't whistle for the Dog at night ...  >:(

>>  my left eye still does not produce tears and does not blink - I can shut it together with my right eye but not by itself -  I have that "lizard" eye thing going on.

Yep ... close both eyes, and take a picture (got a digital camera?) in the bathroom mirror ... I bet you will see the eye is not as closed as you think ,  when you close you eye, the eye moves up .. and you think it closed all the way.. but its not ...  >:(
4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital

comfortzone

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2006, 07:30:13 pm »
I have sadly given up hope of snowboarding again and just put my board up for sale. I haven't had any kind treatment yet but I'm so clumsy on solid ground that I know it would be a disaster if I even tried. Just thinking about getting on a chair lift makes me dizzy anyway! I say get yourself a snow bunny outfit and meet your hubby by the fireplace in the lounge for the apres ski! (and definetely have a spa treatment while he's on the slopes)
8 mm left side AN Retrosigmoid surgery with Dr Akagami at Vancouver General Hospital April 3, 2014 SSD