Author Topic: home alone  (Read 5482 times)

gunns

Re: home alone
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2017, 10:23:47 pm »
  hello
My Middle Fossa surgery is scheduled for October 3rd.  I live alone and my friends and family are trying to convince me to say with one of them when I get out of the hospital.  I REALLY want to go home and sleep in my own bed and spend some time with my cat once I am discharged. I am planning on hiring a housekeeper to come in once a week and I have various friends who have offered to bring me meals.  I have a couple of close friends who live within 5 or 6 blocks and my upstairs neighbor, who I have known for 15 years, has a key to my apartment and could hear me if I called out to him.
 I am sure that if I have serious balance issues after surgery, I might have to rethink staying alone.  But other than that, I would love to know what other's post surgery experiences has been and if they could or did live alone right afterwards.
thanks,

Hey Zan - How are you doing?  Your "Hot" date is coming up pretty soon.  When I was at this point I just wanted to get it over with and get on with my life.  Keep us informed on how you're doing.  We'll be thinking about you!

Zan

« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2017, 06:28:00 pm »
My surgery was changed to the 26th. I am happy to say that it went very well. I was out of ICU first thing Wednesday morning and home by Friday afternoon. I was incredibly lucky that they did not need to cut my balance nerve and my hearing loss is only temporary due to blood build up and swelling at the incision. My tumor  was not in the auditory canal, so I was lucky. My facial nerve, were my tumor was, was also saved and I have about the same minor paralysis that I had before.
As far as my home alone status, I had a friend who had come from Vegas to stay at the hospital on Friday night. Since I was released, she spent the night on my sofa. It was nice to have someone there. I had also let my friends set up a care calendar and while I appriciated the people coming over, I felt like I had to entertain and did not get quite enough rest the first day. By Saturday night, when the last friend left, I was so happy to have some alone time. I went online and cut the schedule down on the calendar  so that I only had three people a day with 2 hour breaks between people. Again, I retained my balance, so I can do a lot for myself. I can't lift, so I let my friends take out the trash or get groceries. 
What I did not expect was that they had to cut one jaw muscle. I am still on a soft diet and can not open my mouth very wide. It is getting better and I managed a small salad today. That made me very happy.

gunns

« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2017, 01:38:18 pm »
Hey there Zan!
Glad to hear that you're happy with the outcome of your surgery.  Saving the balance nerve is fantastic and saving the hearing is a major bonus!  Your issue with the jaw muscle is the first I've heard of.  It seems a lot of us on this site are single sided deaf (SSD) and have balance issues that last from months to years.  I hope that the facial paralysis you mentioned clears up for you soon.  But Ga-Dang Man it sounds like you are going to do great!  Keep us posted on your progress.