Author Topic: home alone  (Read 5477 times)

Zan

home alone
« on: July 24, 2017, 08:05:11 pm »
  hello
My Middle Fossa surgery is scheduled for October 3rd.  I live alone and my friends and family are trying to convince me to say with one of them when I get out of the hospital.  I REALLY want to go home and sleep in my own bed and spend some time with my cat once I am discharged. I am planning on hiring a housekeeper to come in once a week and I have various friends who have offered to bring me meals.  I have a couple of close friends who live within 5 or 6 blocks and my upstairs neighbor, who I have known for 15 years, has a key to my apartment and could hear me if I called out to him.
 I am sure that if I have serious balance issues after surgery, I might have to rethink staying alone.  But other than that, I would love to know what other's post surgery experiences has been and if they could or did live alone right afterwards.
thanks,

Kathleen_Mc

Re: home alone
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2017, 01:42:08 am »
Although I can understand wanting to be in your own bed I don't think this is the best plan.
 I had my tumor removed twice, once @ 23 and the 2nd time in my mid 30's and I would not have been able to stay alone after either surgery.
At least for a few days on discharge can't someone come and stay with you ?
Kathleen
1st AN surgery @ age 23, 16 hours
Loss of 7-10th nerves
mulitple "plastic" repairs to compensate for effects of 7th nerve loss
tumor regrowth, monitored for a few years then surgically removed @ age 38 (of my choice, not medically necessary yet)

Citiview

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2017, 05:41:19 am »
Zan
I would be interested in the responses of others to the issue of recovery. One person I contacted said they needed vestibular therapy for five weeks post middle fossa surgery. Regardless of the surgical approach I think balance can be a big issue, but not always for everyone.
Good luck with the surgery.

bethtretrault

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2017, 03:16:21 am »
I had retrosigmoid surgery  andwas discharged from the hospital 3 days post surgery. My sister  stayed with me for a week. I did have balance issues-used a walker to get around and could not bend over (that makes it challenging to do some things for self care). I also had ALOT of medications to take post discharge. You taper off steroids for one thing. The meds were on a complicated schedule and I am pretty sure I was not functioning well enough to be able to adhere to the right schedule without help. I could easily have taken the wrong meds at the wrong time. I would strongly encourage you to get from someone who can stay with you-at least for a few days.
beth
12/2013 5mmx4mmx4mm left
tinnitus, w&w
5/2015 7mm-louder tinnitus, occasional dizziness
retro sigmoid 11/2015

Zan

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2017, 11:41:52 am »
Thanks for the responses.
It sounds like it would probably be easier if I stayed with one of those offering.  My apartment is small, my sofa is lumpy and I have a cat that would cause most of my family members to have an asthma attach.
I have an appointment with my neurosurgeon on Friday and I will run it by him and see what he thinks. I still think I could do it though.  My upstairs neighbor (and close friend) suggested that we get a baby monitor so that he can hear me better if I need him.  Maybe that would work.

bethtretrault

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2017, 05:41:13 pm »
Definitely talk to the MD. I know you want to be home - I know I did and I was lucky to have my sister willing to stay with me. If people offer to help please let them. It is awesome for them and for you. I bet those who offer know about the lumpy couch and the cat and still want to help.  :)
beth
12/2013 5mmx4mmx4mm left
tinnitus, w&w
5/2015 7mm-louder tinnitus, occasional dizziness
retro sigmoid 11/2015

ANSydney

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2017, 06:34:33 pm »
I believe it's possible to go and buy (non-lumpy) couch's :-) And for a lot less than the cost of surgery.

lablove

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2017, 07:08:34 pm »
Being in your own bed is ideal for the first days home. Having someone to help with medications and proper nutrition / hydration is key. I am a physician in my 40s and never did I need my mother more. She stayed for one month postoperatively. Please accept the help offered.

Zan

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2017, 08:29:21 pm »
I spoke with my neurosurgeon (Schwartz) the other day and he said that there is very little chance of the cutting my balance nerve in my surgery, so as long as I feel steady on my feet, he is fine with me being home alone as long as someone is close by.  I spoke with my friend who lives upstairs and he is ready to be there for me.  We live in a 2 unit apartment building with thin walls. We have literally talked to each other through the walls before.  But for this, we plan on getting a baby monitor. 
I am going to check with Dr. Slattery to make sure he agrees that the balance nerve will not be cut.  Dr. Schwartz said that this surgery is all Dr. Slattery's and I should ask him all specifics. He is the "facial nerve guy".

ANSydney

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2017, 08:50:05 pm »
Zan, which surgical approach is planned?

Zan

« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2017, 10:23:10 pm »
Middle fossa. Although Dr. Schwartz said that since my tumor is on my facial nerve, the surgery will be alighly different than it is for those with AN

ANSydney

« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2017, 11:27:54 pm »
Thanks for the info.

ColleenS

• I have learned to watch birds and smell the roses.
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2017, 02:22:49 pm »
Zan, although everyone is different we all can agree the first week is pretty tough. Be sure to have a walker or cane for walking and chair for the shower. You will not feel like standing to fix coffee and food so be sure friends will drop by to fix meals and clean up the kitchen. You could always plan on managing and then if you are unable to cope, have someone come or go to friends for a few days. Good luck to you.
5/2/17 @ Vanderbilt Translab approach with Drs. Haynes & Chambless
Readmitted on 5/7/17 for CFL, lumbar drain; CFL repair surgery
10/18 5 Radiation treatments for tumor regrowth
3/19 Pain, swelling, facial paralysis
5/19 Facial paralysis, numbness
10/21 Mild facial paralysis still

gunns

« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2017, 06:31:32 pm »
I wish you luck with your surgery!  Every surgery's outcome will be different and everyone will experience it differently.  Plan for the worst and hope for the best.  You might arrange for possibly staying with friends or family for a few days until you get your sea-legs.  You can always go back to your own home early if you're up to it.  But it'll be comforting to know that you're able to stay with family of friends another day or so if needed.  You might begin to make small changes in your home.  Rearranging things with the thought in mind that someone will soon be there that has balance issues.  Get rid or move things that you might trip over.  Move things from lower cabinets to counter height locations.  Take things out of upper cabinets and move them down to counter level.  Bending over will be a NO NO for a while.  Reaching up to upper cabinets put my head into Wonky Mode.  LOL!  Put those small night lights that plug into outlets in your bedroom and the pathway to your bathroom and any other path you may need to walk at night.  You will probably have problems navigating in the dark.  Most of us do!  Be sure to keep your cell phone "ON" you!

I was very fortunate with my surgery.  I went in on Tuesday and was discharged Thursday two days later.  I felt fully capable of being on my own. 

When you're out of surgery they will assess you capabilities of living independently post-op.  Discuss your plans with the staff and doctors and take their advice to heart!

Wish you the best ZAN!
Gunns

Zan

« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2017, 02:54:19 pm »
thanks Gunns.  I had thought of some of that stuff, like getting slip on shoes and a chair for the shower, but would not have thought to put things on a lower shelf.   The good news is that the lady who lived in my apartment before me had mobility issues so there are bars in the bathroom that will be helpful.