Author Topic: **Improved Hearing!!**  (Read 2893 times)

mandihester

**Improved Hearing!!**
« on: July 19, 2017, 08:15:01 am »
I don't know if it's a coincidence or not, but since I started a new health program, my hearing has improved!!  I haven't worn my hearing aid in 2 weeks- I haven't needed to!
I still have a little tinnitus but it's SO minor compared to what it was.  Has this happened to anyone else?
AN right side found August 2016- grape size
Retrosigmoid microsurgery October 2016
Before surgery- minor hearing loss, major balance and dizziness issues.
After surgery- severe hearing loss (it fluctuates), no dizziness, minor balance issues

ANSydney

Re: **Improved Hearing!!**
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2017, 04:56:50 pm »
mandihester, given that your surgery was less than a year ago, it looks like the nerve is recovering from the trauma of surgery. Regardless of the mechanism, it's great to hear that you are improving.

mandihester

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2017, 06:33:19 am »
Thank you!
My hearing has really fluctuated the entire time- some days good, most bad.  My audiologist was kinda of surprised that it's been the way it is.  I go back next month for another hearing test.  I can't wait to see those results!
AN right side found August 2016- grape size
Retrosigmoid microsurgery October 2016
Before surgery- minor hearing loss, major balance and dizziness issues.
After surgery- severe hearing loss (it fluctuates), no dizziness, minor balance issues

ANSydney

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2017, 05:14:14 pm »
You can do informal hearing tests between formal tests http://newt.phys.unsw.edu.au/jw/hearing.html . I use a earplug with the one earpiece cut off to avoid sound contamination.

The results are only relative. In my case I do my non-AN ear then my AN ear and look at the difference. I keep a record to look for trends.

Jet747

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2017, 03:28:08 pm »
mandihester,

I'm not sure it qualifies as improved hearing because my hearing was never too bad.  I did have aweful imbalance issues pre-surgery though.  I too had RS surgery, followed by GK.

According to my annual ENT audiologist test results some tone range detection has improved over the past 2 years.

I'm told, and some studies show, it can take up to 5 years to realize hearing changes.

In any case that's great news!  Best of luck to you!!!

@ANSydney,

Interesting test!  I gave it a try.  If your bored, give this a try, take a phone with a dial-tone (like the old non-cell phone kind)...hold it up to your non-an ear for awhile...then hold it to your AN ear.  For me I definitely perceive a slight change in the tone pitch.  I thought it was interesting when my Neurologist had me do it, not that it is a scientific test or means anything significant.

Good luck on your w&w!

BR,
Jet
RS Surgery May 2015

GK Radiation October 2015

https://www.anausa.org/smf/index.php?topic=21969.0

ANSydney

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2017, 05:22:03 pm »
The website given can be used to give you an objective measure of hearing in between formal hearing tests. (At least AN ear versus non-AN ear.) Get a pair of earbud headphones, cut one earbud off to avoid interference, test your non-AN ear, test your AN ear, take the difference for each frequency and that is how much your AN ear has lost relative to your non-AN ear.

Keep the cutoff headphones just for this purpose and write results down so you can see the trend.

I would at least yearly formal hearing tests to see how hearing is travelling.