Author Topic: What do you ask the neursurgeon on your first visit  (Read 6568 times)

crystallady

What do you ask the neursurgeon on your first visit
« on: November 18, 2006, 03:35:33 pm »
I have been recently diagnosed with a small AN in my right ear along with meningioma.  Can anyone please advise me with what I should ask the neurosurgeon on my first visit?

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
Re: What do you ask the neursurgeon on your first visit
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2006, 03:40:25 pm »
The most important question is how many AN surgeries does he do per year.  Your outcome absolutely depends on the experience of the surgical team. Also ask if he does this surgery in tandem with another neurosurgeon or neuro-otologist.
Capt Deb
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

Derek

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2006, 06:14:46 pm »
Hi there...

You describe your AN as 'small' therefore I am presuming that you have all of the treatment options available to you i.e. 'wait and watch; microsurgery and radiosurgery?

If that is the case then carry out thorough research into those available options utilising the extremely useful threads and posts on this website in the first instance and ultimately you will decide which is the best form of treatment that is best for you and whether it accords with the professional advice that has been imparted to you.

Best Regards

Derek
Residing UK. In 'watch & wait' since diagnosis in March 2002 with right side AN. Initially sized at 2.5cm and now self reduced to 1.3cm.
All symptoms have abated except impaired hearing on affected side which is not a problem for me.

Jeff

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2006, 11:37:02 pm »
Hello,
You don't mention your age, but, if am reading your post correctly, see that you have been diagnosed with an AN and a meningioma. If this is true and you are under the age of 30, you may want to ask about Neurofibromatosis Type 2. I am pasting the diagnostic criteria here:

I agree with others who have posted here. Spend some time conducting your own personal research and settle upon a course of treatment that is right for you.

Sorry that you have to deal with this,

Jeff
NF2
multiple AN surgeries
last surgery June 08

crystallady

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2006, 07:53:06 am »
Hi Jeff,

I am 46 and will look into this - Neurofibromatosis.  My niece (age 23) has been diagnosed with schwannoma also. Thanks for your help.

Cindy

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2006, 07:55:24 am »
Hi Cindy:

I found a post originally created by Kate Besserman, that gives a very complete list of questions to ask any AN clinician.... please see this link, the 2nd post by Raydean, where she has republished the question list... this may help.

Hang in there!
Phyl

http://anausa.org/forum/index.php?topic=628.0
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Battyp

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2006, 02:13:12 pm »
Hi Cindy,
  1) how many AN surgeries does the doctor do each year.  Specifically AN not just brain surgery.
  2) In the last 30 days how many of your patients had facial paralysis, permanent facial numbness, hearing loss
  3)  What is their opinion of facial nerve preservation and complete tumor removal
  4)  What types of surgery do they perform?  Translab, Retro, middle fossa, options for radiosurgery?

Hope that helps.  Let us know how things go!

Michelle