Author Topic: Alcohol issues  (Read 11710 times)

Zan

Alcohol issues
« on: June 21, 2017, 09:59:47 pm »
I have never been a big drinker, but I do like to have a glass of wine or a cocktail with dinner a couple of times a month. Occasionally, I will have a second drink. A little over a year ago, about the same time that my other AN symptoms started, I began to notice that if I had that second drink, I would get the spins.
Has anyone else expected this?

PaulW

Re: Alcohol issues
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2017, 01:30:25 am »
Yep....
Thankfully my balance issues are pretty good these days....
A few years back I went to a bar, had 2 drinks, and had trouble sitting on the bar stool..
They thought I was so drunk they refused to serve me!
10x5x5mm AN
Sudden Partial hearing loss 5/28/10
Diagnosed 7/4/10
CK 7/27/10
2/21/11 Swelling 13x6x7mm
10/16/11 Hearing returned, balance improved. Feel totally back to normal most days
3/1/12 Sudden Hearing loss, steroids, hearing back.
9/16/13 Life is just like before my AN. ALL Good!

Zan

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2017, 01:51:49 pm »
Good to know. It's hard sometimes, to know what symptoms are from AN and what is from getting old. Lol

ChristineB1111

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2017, 08:39:07 pm »
My symptoms began in November 2016 but like many I've probably had it much longer.  I am pretty light to begin with, always been thin, so it's never taken much to get a buzz. I was only diagnosed last week, after losing hearing in my left ear partially in November. For about the last year I have noticed I don't even need to finish one glass of wine to notice its effects. Not necessarily the spins, but definitely walk like a drunk person very quickly. Sucks because I love to have a glass of wine when I'm making dinner, it's something I look forward to after a long day. But it's become a maintenance matter now so I just don't drink as much. One of the first things I thought of when diagnosed was oh so THATS why wine does that to me now.

Muffin

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2017, 11:31:34 am »
I am in this camp, too.  I never was a big drinker, thin, and was happy it didn’t take much for a buzz, but now I can get that on a half a glass of anything.  Also walk all over the place.  I tell my husband I am a cheap date. :) :) :)
6/10/17: Sudden Hearing Loss
9/20/17:  MRI Shows VS in R IAC Measuring 6x5x3 mm
10/18/17:  On Watch and Wait Status
10/11/19:  MRI Shows VS Now Measuring
6/17/21:  7x12x6 mm
7/15/21:  Removal of tumor by Friedman and Schwartz at UCSD
9x6x5 mm

Zan

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2017, 09:04:54 pm »
I am now a little over 7 weeks post surgery and the good news is that so far things seem better with drinking. I had two glasses of wine the other night and did not feel all drunk or spinny.

daoisthere

• Composer and Guitarist
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2017, 05:34:37 pm »
Hi Everyone,

This is Daoisthere (Gino),   I have a complex co-morbidity post cancer (27 years ago). I take up to 3mg of Xanax a day for treatment of pulmonary fibrosis, cardio fibrosis, spinal stenosis and apparently now an acoustic neuroma...    And plus I might drink a few shots of Vodka... 

I also lift weight, run 4 miles a day, do a set of yoga + tai chi and meditate.   

Point is...  You are now a member of a group of people that have a very unique situation existing.  Be at peace. It will help you accept your current existence. Drink, pray, meditate, seek council... find peace.   Just don't drive when you implode.  I care and support you very much:  and think about you daily.   I only hope to be a hero member someday.   

By the way... The noise and Tinnitus SUCKS...

Peace and much prayers plus love,
Gino
08/21/2017 MRI reveals AN
10.8 x 3.6 x 4.2 mm Completely fills Right Canal
10/09/2017 Watch and Wait
01/19/2018 2nd MRI  Tesla 3 12 x 5 x 4 mm
New Diagnosis - Partial Empty Sella

extropy

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2018, 10:37:22 am »
I have never been a big drinker, but I do like to have a glass of wine or a cocktail with dinner a couple of times a month. Occasionally, I will have a second drink. A little over a year ago, about the same time that my other AN symptoms started, I began to notice that if I had that second drink, I would get the spins.
Has anyone else expected this?

Same here. My big  AN (3.5 cm.) has been removed in 2014. Since then I cannot drink more than few drops of alcohol. And when I drink a glass of wine my systolic & diastolic blood pressure goes down in few minutes, to something like 95/55, or even less. And that is dangerous (syncope is possible). Dunno the reason. Maybe my VP shunt has something to do with that? Maybe the regrowth of my VS has something to do with that?
-extropy (Rome, Italy)
« Last Edit: April 16, 2018, 01:39:20 am by extropy »
2014 - at age 65 problems with left ear (tinnitus, imbalances, deafness, short-memory problems, etc).
2014 - MR found VS, 3.5 cm circa.
2014 - Exeresis, in Rome, RS approach,  followed by hydrocephalus ... and shunt.
2018 - AN has regrown, volume is 2.6 cm3.
2018 - GK (Humanitas, Milan)

PurrfectHappiness

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2018, 10:53:15 am »
Hi,

I am a Newbie .. . Recently diagnosed 3 months ago (9x5x5 mm) and I too am thin and like to enjoy beer and wine on occasion.  I have noticed for a while now that even just a few sips of beer or wine goes straight to my head and affects me, too.  I also have tinnitus and balance issues which worsen as the day goes on...increased fatigue and more “wobbly headed” feeling.

It saddens me that I cannot enjoy a glass of wine with dinner like I used to or a cold refreshing beer in this Texas heat!  I have refrained from drinking alcohol for months now due to the increased “wobbly headed” feeling it creates.

I’m hoping to improve and better cope with these balance symptoms and hoping that I will be able to enjoy drinking a glass of wine and cold beer again soon.

Hang in there, keep positive!   :).  You are not alone.

notaclone13

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2018, 01:35:26 pm »
I have always had poor alcohol tolerance, runs in my family.  But being Italian, the love for vino is in my genome.  Unfortunately, it only takes a few sips of wine to make me wobbly, even more so now with the AN.  I have found a possible solution however, choose wines with lower alcohol content.  The usual alcohol content in wine varies from one type to another, but the usual amount is 10-11 %.  I now search the label and only purchase wines with a low alcohol content.  This website is particularly helpful: https://winefolly.com/tutorial/the-lightest-to-the-strongest-wine/.   I have found several very nice sweet wines with alcohol contents in the range of 5.5 to 8%.  I find if I drink these slowly I can enjoy a couple of glasses  with minimal affects on balance.  Also, don't drink on an empty stomach, even if you only eat a cracker or two, it helps.

KristenWS

« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2018, 07:19:47 pm »
Following this thread and will be interested to see how additional folks respond. I was just diagnosed, am very stressed, having symptoms (which I do not want to continue or worsen) and was told by my doctor that I could have the occasional drink. Prior to diagnosis, I was a moderate drinker just on weekends and so had a high tolerance.  However, I have not had a drink in 4 weeks so I am a little anxious because again, I don't want to have these symptoms or god forbid, a hang over.  I am supposed to be going to a concert (!) at a large stadium with my daughter next week and then we are going on a lake vacation where we will are supposed to be on a boat (!) about 90 percent of the time and think a beer would be nice.  Again, not worth it if it will compound symptoms.  Has anyone had experience with marijuana (legal in many states), what were the effects, help, hinder? We often hear about the medicinal benefits and wonder if there is any truth.  I am rambling and new to all of this and clearly in a bit of denial.  Thanks again to all that have responded to my other posts and have been so supportive.
Symptoms started 6/24/18
First MRI 7/12/18, 1cm AN

BattMaclaren

« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2023, 09:36:56 am »
Just a friendly reminder that if you're struggling with alcohol, don't be afraid to seek help. You're not alone, and there's no shame in asking for support