Author Topic: BICROS with bluetooth anyone?  (Read 7612 times)

stephenwilkus

• 35 mm AN removed March 27, 2017
BICROS with bluetooth anyone?
« on: June 16, 2017, 02:32:15 pm »
I had my 35mm diameter Vestibular Schwannoma tumor removed March 27, 2017 at NYU Langone Medical Center in Manhattan. I can strongly recommend the team of Drs Roland and Golfinos there.   I've facial palsy in my left side, as expected and just saw my neurological PT for my first time last week.  I am hopeful that all will be well in a few more months.

Next week I'll be fitted for a BiCROS hearing aid to bring the sounds from my left side over to the right ear, my audiologist seems to only recommend the WideX brand hearing aids, and it seemed OK with the demo unit last week. But I  worry that paying the $3,945 price is not doing my part for affordable care. (or am I subsidizing those on insurance plans that negotiate better deals?)

Also, I've seen conventional hearing aids with impressive Bluetooth connectivity to phones, cars, computers and TVs that look very appealing, and can even be reprogrammed somewhat through iPhone apps. But I don't see any BiCROS (or CROS) hearing aids with that capability.  I can imagine that the development of a hearing aid line with two Bluetooth connections (one between ears and another between the good ear and a smart phone) is not as high a priority as a single link hearing aid. Such a hearing aid might also have a battery life problem as it supports two radio links, at least on occasion. 

Even so, I wonder if any of you readers have heard of such a hearing aid?  Or do you know of any in development, so that if I just wait a few more months I can expect it later?

Thank you in advance for your insights,
Steve
35 mm vestibular schwannoma in left side
removed March 2017
Drs. Roland and Golfinos at NYU Langone Center
left inner ear obliterated.
Left facial palsy remains through June 2017
Planning to get a BiCROS hearing aid

EricC

Re: BICROS with bluetooth anyone?
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2017, 02:04:40 pm »
I opted for an Oticon Ponto.  Its a bone anchored system.  The nice thing about bone anchored devices is they are usually covered by insurance (its a hearing prosthetic not an aid).  So with surgery, my total cost will come to $2000 (my out of pocket max).  Every 5yrs or so I'll be eligible for an upgrade at 15% of the cost (around $4000 for the device) so thats about $600 to get an upgrade.  Its totally bluetooth compatable and you get to be a cyborg. 

You should test it out.  You don't have to have your ears plugged with the aid.  THe one downside is a bolt screwed in you head.  It took me out of work for 3 days :)
4.6 x 3.4 x 2.9 mm (2017)
4.3 x 2.4x 2.5 mm (2016)
3.9 x 2.1 x 2.5 mm (2015)

SET WE300B

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2017, 10:03:27 pm »
Hi Steve,

I am wearing the Phonak Cros II and have the Bluetooth connectivity device: COMPILOT. It is a pendent that hangs off the neck with a lanyard. It doesn't have the best sound quality but it works OK. I could live without it but it has come in handy a few times. Kind of pricey. Used with an IPhone 6.

Roger

gunns

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2017, 10:12:30 am »
Phonak has a new unit.  It's the "Phonak Audeo B-Direct".  It connects directly to iPhone, Androids and several other non smart "dumb" phones.  It pairs directly to the phone without the intermediate device on a lanyard.  Also connects to your other smart devices (iPad TV etc,) even has a doorbell option.  It's just come out so you may have to search for it.  See link below.

https://www.phonak.com/us/en/about-us/direct-connectivity.html

joshstru

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2017, 06:24:18 pm »
Can you tell me what the other side hearing aid it that connects to the Phonak Audeo B-Direct?  Looks like a good option. I would like to pair with an in the canal on the deaf side if that is available.  Thank you.

gunns

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2017, 07:28:04 pm »
Can you tell me what the other side hearing aid it that connects to the Phonak Audeo B-Direct?  Looks like a good option. I would like to pair with an in the canal on the deaf side if that is available.  Thank you.

I would check their website.. I'll soon be fitted for hearing aids and am giving the Audeo B-direct a lot of consideration.  Just had my AN removed July 25th.

Smithair

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2017, 02:17:05 pm »
I have had the Phonak CROS II for about 2 years - It's better than nothing, but restaurants and congested areas are difficult.  I initially had the lanyard mic but now purchased the clip on device that will Bluetooth with my phone, TV, etc.  This device has a blinking light.  I clip it on my bra strap and forget that others can see the light - not life changing, but it gets old having to explain what its for.  I also have an external mic I can put on a table or give to someone that will pick up more conversations - again, its ok not great.  I am looking for something better - not sure it is there.
3 cm AN. Translab Feb 2011 House Clinic. Brackman. SSD. Ongoing balance issues  Soundbite Feb 2012 Private pilot returned to flying Jan 2012

tinkin3

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2017, 12:22:15 pm »
I just got a CROS (Signia by Siemens).  I like it and it does help me when I'm in a group of people.  No integrated bluetooth is available on any CROS device, according to my audiologist, which is disappointing.  I tried the accompanying device on a lanyard, but it was too cumbersome to use.  It disconnected quite a bit, and I didn't want to have it hanging around my neck all the time. 

Interested to hear what solution you went with.

Susan A

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2018, 05:23:36 pm »
I have a Phonak CROS H2O, with a Phonak Audéo-S. The Audéo S is several years old, so in order for it to connect via Bluetooth to my Phone, I need a Compilot pendant around my neck. With an additional doohickey ('boot') connected to the Compilot, it will also connect with a Roger microphone, which makes it like turning the volume up on the voice of the person with the microphone :-)
When I use the Compilot or Roger, the CROS switches off, and the sound only goes into my good ear. When I'm using the Roger mic,this is an advantage as I'm focusing even more on the sound from the microphone. I honestly don't use the Compilot with my phone - I get better sound by just wearing my earbuds with the phone.
I've been told that there are Phonak hearing aids that don't need the Compilot pendant or boot, but I'm not in a position to buy a new hearing aid right now.
2011 8 x 7 mm AN, & 20 x 22 mm M found, both on the left. Mosaic NF2 diagnosed. Some hearing loss
2014 hearing 30% on left, now using hearing aid (HA)
2015 Now have CROS HA - no longer hear enough for HA to be useful in AN ear
2016 Use an FM system on occasion at work to supplement HA

JLR

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2018, 05:37:37 am »
I had surgery 11-1-16. Have right side deafness now. Although I have adapted I notice that I have difficulty determining where sound is coming from. i.e. Was in kitchen, my husband upstairs, he yelled down to me and I thought his voice was coming from the basement. So weird. Is there any app,iance I can wear to direct the sound waves?  Thanks. Joan

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2018, 07:11:53 am »
Hi Joan .....

Alas, directionality is dependent upon having sound input from both ears.  Those of us who are now SSD (single-side deaf) have lost the ability to tell where sound is coming from.  I have an Oticon Medical Ponto so I "hear" sounds coming from my deaf side, but they are directed via bone conduction to my hearing side.  (All BAHA devices work the same way.)  In certain situations I have a degree of directionality in that my brain can sort out the difference in the Ponto sound from my natural hearing, but it is not reliable to determine where sound is originating when I hear the "I'm right here" answer.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

JLR

« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2018, 05:34:14 am »
Clarice, Many thanks for your thoughtful response.  It does get frustrating. I had a very well known expert surgeon. He told me he stayed away from my functioning facial nerve but after 3 days post op I developed paralysis and eye problems. I guess there is quite a bit of manipulation going on during surgery that paralysis happens?? I learned quickly to rely on hearing from left side but a year later the direction of sound is just annoying. Happy Healthy New Year. Joan

joyoreilly

« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2018, 12:52:48 pm »
I had my 1.7 acoustic neuroma tumor removed 9 weeks ago.  I have an appointment with my audiologist next week to talk about anything to help my hearing.  Heard about the hearing aids that help bring sound over to the deaf ear.  Anyone tried this or can recommend a brand of hearing aid that works.  Have no idea what cost is but my insurance will cover up to $2,500 -
Also wondering if having any type of hearing aid device has helped you be able to locate where sound is coming from.  If someone behind me calls my name I can't figure out from which direction they are calling me.

Also wondering if it really does improve enough to help your deaf side or if it makes things harder
I know I was taught your ear and eyes are married so I am also wondering if by helping the deaf to get some sound from the good ear will that also help balance.

Anyone with any input please reply

Thanks

Susan A

« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2018, 11:21:45 am »
My Phonak CROS hearing aid definitely helps! My family and I all notice when I forget to wear it - I have to ask people to repeat things far more often! It did take some getting used to, and it does not give me directional hearing. I wish my insurance had covered $2,500 of the cost!!

It does not put any sound into the bad ear  - instead it sends sound from the bad side over to the good side.
2011 8 x 7 mm AN, & 20 x 22 mm M found, both on the left. Mosaic NF2 diagnosed. Some hearing loss
2014 hearing 30% on left, now using hearing aid (HA)
2015 Now have CROS HA - no longer hear enough for HA to be useful in AN ear
2016 Use an FM system on occasion at work to supplement HA