Post-Treatment > Facial Issues

I miss my smile

<< < (2/4) > >>

vickieastwood:
Dr. Byrne recommended the gracilis flap surgery for me and was very encouraging. So surgery is scheduled for August 8th. Anybody had this surgery? I am really hoping that once the swelling goes down I will have a more balanced resting face. Any tips and tricks I should know? Thanks for anything you can share!

vickieastwood:
I had the gracilis flap surgery on August 8th in Baltimore. We are back home and things are returning to normal. The swelling in my face is slowly,slowly going down. The bruising is receding and my mouth is looking ever so slightly straighter. My smile is still downward sloping but that should improve over the next six months especially when the nerve is reanimated. Even now, I feel like this surgery has been a success. Little things have improved like eating from a spoon without dribbling, spitting toothpaste straight instead of down my chin. But I believe the biggest success will be seen when I return to work and conference calls. Before, I found myself holding my cheek in order to assist with my speech. I haven't noticed doing that since being home and feel like my cheek and speech is supported better. Can't wait for swelling to be gone to see my new normal and I'm feeling so hopeful about the future.  I'll be returning to work September 5th and feel like I'll be ready to hit the ground running!

alabamajane:
Congrats! It's good to hear your report and I'm sure it will help others.

I was told  of that surgery with Dr Tessa Hadlock in Boston I believe it is. But never looked into it. I did get good results from my 12/7 graft though. Not a satisfactory smile but good resting tone. And I don't have much problem with eye issues.

But here's to hoping for much improvement in the near future for you!!
Jane

vickieastwood:
Thanks Jane!

Every day I am seeing improvements. It will just be icing on the cake when I start to get movement. When considering the surgery it was hard to wrap my head around it, but now that I am on the other side, I am thrilled- and I know I've still got a ways to go with my recovery.  I can't say enough good about Dr. Byrne, his staff and Johns Hopkins. 

I'll post an update again when I return to work in a couple of weeks.  My family is amazed by the difference surgery made, but it will be interesting to hear what folks I work with have to say.

Vicki

tugnutt:
Vicki and Jane - I had my gracilis flap surgery January 9, 2017 by Dr Boahene at Johns Hopkins.  So happy with the results! Yes, it has taken some time (about 3 months) for the function to return but I have a sizable smile, almost as good as pre-AN, am doing better with the dribbling from a glass, and - I am hopeful this will happen for you - SO much better diction.  In fact, the side with the gracilis flap is far stronger than the other side. 
I also have a scleral lens, and have come a long way with it -learning how to take care of it and insert it, and what to use at night so I didn't have a greasy smear over the lens (I use the gel overnight, it's a dream come true).  It was great to hear from others who have had the surgery and the lens, it has vastly improved my life. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version