Author Topic: Tooth Pain?  (Read 5065 times)

ColleenS

• I have learned to watch birds and smell the roses.
Tooth Pain?
« on: April 11, 2017, 08:51:27 am »
Does anyone have pain in cheek/teeth rather than numbness? I have not had any facial pain or numbness, but I do have pain in my teeth when drinking cold liquids on my AN side. Lately, when chewing I have pain in two teeth - extreme sharp pains now. I have been eating on my other side the last few days. Now my whole jaw and teeth are throbbing - but not numb like I have read. Is this normal? I have a dentist appointment today. A couple of months ago I went to the dentist (before AN diagnosis) and thought I had 2 cavities due to the cold liquid issues and they said if was beginning of receding gums. Now I wonder if this is all related?  :-\
« Last Edit: April 11, 2017, 09:22:31 am by ColleenH »
5/2/17 @ Vanderbilt Translab approach with Drs. Haynes & Chambless
Readmitted on 5/7/17 for CFL, lumbar drain; CFL repair surgery
10/18 5 Radiation treatments for tumor regrowth
3/19 Pain, swelling, facial paralysis
5/19 Facial paralysis, numbness
10/21 Mild facial paralysis still

ColleenS

Re: Tooth Pain?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2017, 02:38:08 pm »
It turns out not everything we have going on is related to our AN  ???
I have a fractured tooth that is giving me this pain. I will need to have that pulled this week. Yay me  :(

alabamajane

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2017, 07:27:05 pm »
So glad you went on to the dentist!
Hope you feel better soon.
translab Oct 27, 2011
facial nerve graft Oct 31,2011, eyelid weight removed Oct 2013, eye closes well

BAHA surgery Oct. 2014, activated Dec. 26

ANSydney

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2017, 01:45:16 am »
Colleen, you bring up a good point. Not all symptoms are attributable to an AN. So, we need to be careful to differentiate.

In my case, just before Christmas I was feeling dizzy on our last day at work had to bend over and nap on my desk. I was thinking, and probably those around me, that my AN was getting worse. Next day I discovered I had a an infection and a course of antibiotics fixed me up.

Soon after I got a headache, and again thought my AN was getting worse. Then I realized that I got work late that day and skipped my cup of coffee. Culprit found.

ANs do have several possible symptoms, but a doctor should be able to differentiate between AN related symptoms and non-AN related symptoms. If you're on wait and watch for several years you will undoubtedly get a problem with symptoms that can be associated with an AN. It's important to get them checked out.

In the case of the tooth, the giveaway was that it hurt when drinking cold liquids. This means it is a dental problem and not referred pain from the AN.

In summary, not all (new) symptom are due to an AN or not due to an AN. The new symptoms needs to be checked out.

ColleenS

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2017, 08:43:27 am »
True!

maryinMaine

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2017, 08:18:41 pm »
I get occasional zaps of pain in my jaw and teeth as well as ear and mastoid on my AN side. I am assuming it is the AN - cold and chewing doesn't effect it and the dentist is expensive!  :)
Age 59; dx on 5/5/17  w. 2.4 x 2.2 x 2.0 AN. Seeing Jung (MEEI) and Barker (MGH ) in Boston.

Patti

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2017, 07:04:23 am »
Me too, Mary!  And each time it happens it reminds me that I have a tumor in there!
4 cm AN removed 12/2000
subsequent brain swelling
removal of part of cerebellum
face, scalp,tongue numbness and partial paralysis
no corneal sensation and no tears-frequent eye issues
cognitive issues
Regrowth (3.1 x ..86 cm) treated by SRS on November 6, 2015

JLR

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2017, 09:11:58 am »
Me too as well! All of a sudden a zap of pain behind my ear and the bone. I guess it's the incision I'm only 7 months post op. There are also times I get a loud buzz in my ear. Now my an side hearing is gone but it still buzzes.  Strange huh.. Also Colleen I had terrible pain on my right cheek and thought it was definitely a bad tooth but turns out it was the tumor leaning on the root of the trigeminal nerve. That lead me to surgery. AN surgery is quite a long journey. Thank goodness we have this forum..have a great weekend everyone. Joan

ChristineB1111

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2017, 08:51:43 pm »
Ive read in another forum that the zaps that happen after surgery are due to nerves regenerating and are a good sign of healing.  But it's interesting to note correlations between tooth type pain and AN pain, similar kind of intermittent zings and zaps.  I am just diagnosed a week ago tomorrow so I am nowhere near surgery but get the odd zip or zap along my jaw line. However my diagnosis came with fluid in the mastoid air cells, so I suspect that may be the cause of some of those zaps. I can actually hear the fluid moving if I tilt my head a certain way. The canals and nerves are all connected so it would not surprise me if tooth stuff mimics or is caused by AN stuff. New member, just my two cents :)

Me too as well! All of a sudden a zap of pain behind my ear and the bone. I guess it's the incision I'm only 7 months post op. There are also times I get a loud buzz in my ear. Now my an side hearing is gone but it still buzzes.  Strange huh.. Also Colleen I had terrible pain on my right cheek and thought it was definitely a bad tooth but turns out it was the tumor leaning on the root of the trigeminal nerve. That lead me to surgery. AN surgery is quite a long journey. Thank goodness we have this forum..have a great weekend everyone. Joan

JLR

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2017, 12:54:27 pm »
Hi I sure hope my occasional pain behind my ear (by the incision) is the regeneration of nerves!!!!! I can now close my eye but not so sure it stays closed all night so I still tape it. I still lube it day and night. I'm getting some feeling on my right side face but I have to admit it's all becoming a drag. Glad we have this forum to vent. November 1st will be one year post op.  I read somewhere that any changes will stop at the one year mark.  Did anyone see improvement after that 12 months. Thank you. Joan

alabamajane

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2017, 02:15:45 pm »
Joan,
Yes, changes can and do happen after a year,,  ;)
I was told 12-18 months and I believe some improvements took place after that timeframe,, 

So, keep the faith!!
Jane
translab Oct 27, 2011
facial nerve graft Oct 31,2011, eyelid weight removed Oct 2013, eye closes well

BAHA surgery Oct. 2014, activated Dec. 26

JLR

« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2017, 04:37:41 pm »
Thanks so much Jane!  Those words of encouragement go a long way.  Be well, Joan