Author Topic: Semi-funny insurance story  (Read 5137 times)

Kilroy1976

Semi-funny insurance story
« on: November 09, 2006, 10:37:02 pm »
Well, folks, I'm about due for my one-year MRI. When I had radiosurgery, they gave me a prescription slip for the MRI. It just says "MRI head, with contrast." One would think that would be sufficient for insurance, but no, they wanted me to get a referral from my primary. So I called my primary (they know everything about my AN and the treatment), and they said that they wouldn't schedule the MRI unless I brought the prescription slip to them. It was almost as if they thought I had a fake prescription for oxycontin or something.

It kind of makes me wonder how often people with brain tumors present fake prescription slips for MRIs. Honestly, I don't care for MRIs very much. They're loud, cramped, inconvenient and not all that much fun, and you can bet that I wouldn't be getting one if I didn't HAVE TO.

Anyway, everything's ok now that they have that little paper and the MRI is scheduled for December 1st. I'll take any thoughts/prayers/well-wishes/toasts that you guys have to offer. ;)
1.8cm AN
Linac
December 13, 2005
Shands Hospital--University of Florida

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
Re: Semi-funny insurance story
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2006, 08:21:58 am »

MRI's can be costly .. so they make sure all the "i"'s are dotted so they don't get stuck with the bill !!

Costs
The instruments cost well over $2 million. They require about $10,000 per month for upkeep, like the liquid helium. Plus, they generally take longer to acquire than do X-ray type scans. These costs are of course passed on to the patient -- depending on the length of the scan, the MRIs cost $2,000 - $4,000 in MRI time alone, not accounting for the time of the various technicians and doctors also involved

http://www.acor.org/ped-onc/treatment/MRI/MRI.html
4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital

rntiggergirl

Re: Semi-funny insurance story
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2006, 01:40:50 pm »
Hi
I have worked in the insurance industry for many years.  The issue is not the MRI.  We have a very high uninsured population in this country and this has caused people to be less than honest.  This issue is people are having high dollar testing using the name of someone who has insurance.  That is why we have all the precautions.  That is also why many Imaging centers request a photo ID before they will perform the test.

Hope this helps.

Cheryl