Author Topic: Recent surgery  (Read 2679 times)

jkchum

Recent surgery
« on: March 14, 2017, 01:39:23 pm »
Hi all,

I recently had surgery for an acoustic neuroma on Monday March 6, at the UWMC in Seattle.   My neurosurgeon,  Dr. FERRERA was able to remove the bulk of my tumor.   My tumor was fairly large,  at 4.4 cm.  I am in recovery stage and was fortunate enough to not have facial paralysis. My hearing nerve have not been removed as well.  However,  the hearing on the tumor side have already diminished 50 initially.   Looking for support and advice for recovery.

Citiview

Re: Recent surgery
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2017, 01:52:52 pm »
Congratulations on an excellent surgical outcome. Impressive that they were able to save remaining hearing and facial nerve with such a large tumor!
- Wishing you the best for recovery.

jkchum

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2017, 06:17:14 am »
Thank you for the well wishes and recovery.  I have noticed that my incision site is dripping a bit yesterday.   Will contact the clinic once it is open at 8am.

MarkS

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2017, 01:11:03 pm »
Hello,
That is great news that you still have 50% hearing, after removal of a tumor that large!  Mine was 2.5 - 3 cm, and I lost hearing completely on that side.

Surprised that you have noticed it dripping.  My surgery was Mar 21 and I have had no issues like that.
After two months, shouldn't the skin have grown back together completely so this can't happen?
« Last Edit: May 08, 2017, 01:19:49 pm by MarkS »
2.2 x 2.3 x 2.6 AN right side
Retrosigmoid 3/21/17
MD Anderson, Houston

ColleenS

• I have learned to watch birds and smell the roses.
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2017, 08:36:58 am »
How wonderful to still have your hearing and your facial nerve! Recovery is slower than I thought it would be even though I had seen so many people say take it a day at a time and rest. I am on day 7 from my second surgery and it is a slow process, but it is better every day. Happy recovery to you.
5/2/17 @ Vanderbilt Translab approach with Drs. Haynes & Chambless
Readmitted on 5/7/17 for CFL, lumbar drain; CFL repair surgery
10/18 5 Radiation treatments for tumor regrowth
3/19 Pain, swelling, facial paralysis
5/19 Facial paralysis, numbness
10/21 Mild facial paralysis still

Abetpds

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2017, 04:24:43 pm »
 Wow, that's wonderful that you were able to save your facial nerve and hearing with a tumor that large.  What were your symptoms before surgery? I am impressed with the team who did your surgery.  My tumor is 2.7cm -but I've decided to W&W since I can live with my symptoms (hearing loss and twiching of upper eyelid) One of my reasons for not doing surgery was all the posts on post-surgery issues - so I am so glad you had such a wonderful experience.
Congrats and good luck.
Regina