Author Topic: Saw the Dr. yesterday ...  (Read 5194 times)

msuscottie

• Postie x 3
    • mytooma - the acoustic neuroma blog
Saw the Dr. yesterday ...
« on: November 09, 2006, 10:06:00 am »
Hi everyone,

Thanks for your messages asking about my appointment yesterday. It was actually my follow-up appointment to my 6-month MRI after my second surgery. I still have a "small but substantial" piece of tumor in there, but it has not grown since my last MRI which was the good news. The not-so-good news was that my Dr. is 99% sure that it will grow again in my lifetime and suggest that I have Gamma within the next 6-months to halt any potential growth. I asked if it hurt anything by waiting to see if it does in fact grow and he said "potentially, because it will be bigger if it's growing which would require a higher dose of radiation."I'm not really sure what to do. If I can avoid any further treatment, I want to, but I also don't want this getting to a dangerous size again. I see my other Dr. on 12/1 and am going to wait to see what he says. If he says the same thing then I might have to do it. Ho-hum .... 2 brain surgeries and I'm still not done. Getting frustrated.

On a brighter note, I was in the newspaper today. Check it out!

http://www.journalgroup.com/index.php?id=1940

tatianne

Re: Saw the Dr. yesterday ...
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2006, 11:40:09 am »
glad to hear that the little bugger didnt get any bigger...in my opinion you got some good news.
Weigh your options, its your body and you need to do what you think is best for you.
Wonderful article by the way, a lot of individuals are going to become aware because of it.
Good to here your doing well, and that baby of yours seems to be getting cuter and cuter.
All the best
T
Waith and Watcher
July 2006 8mm
Jan 2007 9.5 mm
Jan 2009 1.4 cmm x 5mm
GK surgery completed on May 4, 2009 in Sherbrook Quebec, hoping and praying this will be the beginning of the end of my AN......

Kilroy1976

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2006, 11:42:48 am »
You've already had two surgeries, so why not just take the radiation hit now and be done with it? The surgeries have probably already created any treatment-related problems (tinnitus, etc.) that the GK would...
1.8cm AN
Linac
December 13, 2005
Shands Hospital--University of Florida

Crazycat

• Self-Portrait/ "Friends, Romans, countrymen...."
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2006, 05:28:50 pm »
Hey Scott,

Didn't see this until now. In the photo you look perfectly healthy! I'd never know that you'd been through the AN dilemma!

Paul
5cm x 5cm left-side A.N. partially removed via Middle Fossa 9/21/2005 @ Mass General. 
Compounded by hydrocephalus. Shunt installed 8/10/2005.
Dr. Fred Barker - Neurosurgeon and Dr. Michael McKenna - Neurotologist.

Patti UT

• Keep On Keepin On
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2006, 11:23:09 pm »
Ya Paul,
 that's the problem, we all look so normal on the outside. little do "they" know the nightmare going on insdie. 

Scott, wht a handsome dude you are.  I am so sorry about your delima. it just isn't fair having to face yeat a third treatment. My heart goes out to you and your family. What an ordeal. YOU and the others as always are in my daily prayers.

Patti UT
2cm Rt side  middle fossa  at University of Utah 9/29/04.
rt side deafness, dry eye, no taste, balance & congintive issues, headaches galore
7/9/09 diganosed with recurrent AN. Translab Jan 13 2010  Happy New Year

Denise

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2006, 07:41:42 am »
Sorry, Patti, bu "we" don't all look normal.  My facial paralysis is extremely obvious especially when I talk.  Sorry to be a downer, guess I am having a bad day!
Denise
4+ cm, left side
translab 5/9/2005
CSF leak repair 6/23/2005
platinum weight in left eye 11/9/05
12/7 nerve switch 8/3/06
Univ. of MN Drs. Levine/Haines

Palace

• Palace
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2006, 07:49:27 am »
Hi

Would Cyberknife be better for you than the Gammaknife, next time? 

Palace
22 mm Acoustic Neuroma (right side)
Cyberknife, Nov. & Dec. 2006
Dr. Iris Gibbs & Dr. Blevins @ Stanford
single sided deafness

msuscottie

• Postie x 3
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2006, 08:08:48 am »
Thank you for the nice comments, but if you notice in the picture, I've mastered the "no-smile, smile." If I smile for real my face looks all out of sorts, so I just sort of squint my eyes and it looks close to a little smile. That's about th only photo of me taken in the last year that I'd even allow to be used in the paper. It's not all roses, so don't think I got off the hook or anything.  :-[

stein78

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2006, 09:34:25 am »
I say get it done and over with!  But I understand why you would be hesistant, nothing about any of this is fun.  Congrats on the news article, it's a great thing that you are doing.
29 years old
2.5cm AN - left side
Removed May 10th, 2005
Dr. John Leonetti & Dr. Douglas Anderson
Loyola University Medical Center
Chicago, IL

Patti UT

• Keep On Keepin On
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2006, 10:15:33 am »
Sorry All,
  Didn't mean to offend anyone. I do realize some of us  with the facial paralysis don't "look" totally OK. I was VERY fortunate and I think many of us "look" OK, so people think we are OK.

Patti UT

Thinking of ya Scott
2cm Rt side  middle fossa  at University of Utah 9/29/04.
rt side deafness, dry eye, no taste, balance & congintive issues, headaches galore
7/9/09 diganosed with recurrent AN. Translab Jan 13 2010  Happy New Year

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2006, 01:26:06 pm »
Hi

Would Cyberknife be better for you than the Gammaknife, next time? 

Palace

was thinking the same thing Palace as fractionating the radio-treatment, since Scottie has been through SO much, would be easier on the surrounding healthy tissue for post radio "recuperation" of any possible hits...

Scottie, GREAT pic and article on you!  Let me just say this.... not only am I SO proud of you... but you have (like so many here) demonstrated such resolve and strength and courage.  I am so thrilled to know the Scott... and send huggles for wellness. I so want you (and everyone here) well.

Hang in there...
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

msuscottie

• Postie x 3
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2006, 02:13:12 pm »
I feel so loved   :)

Obita

« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2006, 05:33:43 am »
Hi Scottie:

I am so sorry you need to make another decision but.....why not get it done and over with?  Then, you can get on with your life.  Are there any residual tumors that do not grow?  Is it realistic thinking it might not?  I have never done research on this so I do not know the answer.

Congrats on the no-growth news.......at least you have time to decide.

Yes, you are loved and a very handsome man.   

Kathy

Kathy - Age 54
2.5 cm translab May '04
University of Minnesota - Minneapolis
Dr. Sam Levine - Dr. Stephen Haines