Author Topic: Possible AN  (Read 3989 times)

Nichols5

Possible AN
« on: January 12, 2017, 10:04:53 pm »
I started hearing a pulsating whooshing in my right ear about a year ago.  My GP put me on 2  courses of Antibiotics and nothing changed.  I saw an ENT this week and had a hearing test.  He Said I have a lot of hearing loss especially in my whooshing ear and that was concerning.  I am a 55 year old female and have not been exposed to loud noises.  I have aMRI scheduled for the 26th.  He mention a possible vascular growth.  When the MRI lady called today and said it was a brain MRI and not for my ear I panicked and landed here.  My symptoms are a match.  Except no dizziness or facial issues.  Did anyone else have just whooshing and hearing loss and have an AN?

rupert

Re: Possible AN
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2017, 03:32:43 pm »
The noise in your ear and hearing loss are common symptoms of AN's.   Only an MRI can confirm or rule out that. Your ENT is taking the right path in diagnoses.   Yes, they do call it an MRI of the brain although,  it also includes your ear, spine, brain stem and everything else in your head.  Try not to panic and remember if you do have an AN,  there are many treatments.  It will take some research to get what's right for you but,  chances are  good you'll be just fine.  Good luck to you.

Nichols5

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2017, 04:47:20 pm »
 :-\Thank you for the encouragement.  My MRI is on the 26th.  It is going to be a long next couple of weeks I think.

PaulW

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2017, 04:11:57 am »
There are so many things that can have symptoms like an Acoustic Neuroma.
I believe around 1% of people that get sent for an MRI for an Acoustic Neuroma actually have one.
The whooshing may indeed be caused by a vascular anomaly.
This is a lot more common than an AN. 
Some people have the small vessels going to the inner ear splitting into numerous vessels before joining back up again...
10x5x5mm AN
Sudden Partial hearing loss 5/28/10
Diagnosed 7/4/10
CK 7/27/10
2/21/11 Swelling 13x6x7mm
10/16/11 Hearing returned, balance improved. Feel totally back to normal most days
3/1/12 Sudden Hearing loss, steroids, hearing back.
9/16/13 Life is just like before my AN. ALL Good!

Thomas36

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2017, 07:20:49 pm »
Is there anything that can be done for vascular anomalies? 

I have that pulsating, too, and sometimes it's whooshing, among other symptoms, and just saw an ENT today and have my MRI in a few days and am truly freaked out.  My best friend had an AN.  The first surgery set in motion several others and she almost died of spinal meningitis.  Hers is one of those horror stories.

So I'm hoping for the vascular problem.