Author Topic: 2 weeks since Gamma Knife  (Read 3027 times)

debisda1

2 weeks since Gamma Knife
« on: November 26, 2006, 07:03:13 pm »
Hi there.  Haven't written in a while...  Had Gamma Knife at University Of Virginia 2 weeks ago with Dr. Steiner.  Went well except for the extreme pain at the pin sites after the head frame was taken off.  Nothing that pain meds couldn't fix......  Still feeling very tender and sore on the back of my head, on the side where the AN is.  Is this soreness something that usually goes away on it's own?  Ringing in right ear about the same but I am hearing pops and strange noises now and then.  Came down with a serious sinus infection after the treatment and not sleeping at night due to coughing....  Just wanted to check in.  Will be back soon....                      debisda1 

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
Re: 2 weeks since Gamma Knife
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2006, 07:20:45 am »
Deb, you "postie" (post treament) you! Congrats on your road to wellness... you may find the first few months of "weird" things going on and you will find that things will allieviate in time... it's just giving it a bit of time, hanging tough and drinking the bad grog around here (see "Good Morning" thread).

Now over 7 mos post radio-surgery and much has allieviated with me... as with many here.  Hang in there!  You're doing great!

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Obita

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2006, 08:04:02 am »
Hi debisda1:

Keep telling yourself:  the worst is over -

Best of luck to you.  Kathy
Kathy - Age 54
2.5 cm translab May '04
University of Minnesota - Minneapolis
Dr. Sam Levine - Dr. Stephen Haines

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2006, 01:12:39 pm »
Hi

Congrats on being a postie!  I had some tenderness where the pin sites were, but it wasn't very bad.  It was just kind of weird how the head felt after that.  I guess it varies with everyone, but that will subside in time.  It took longer than I thought it would, however. You took a pretty good "shot to the head", so to speak, so it will take a little bit of time before you are feeling "normal", whatever the new normal will be for you.  But you know, things are so different now and we are so lucky to have this technology. My mother had radiation treatment for breast cancer back in the late 1950's.  None of this pinpoint stuff then. It was like a sunburn on her skin and it itched her unmercifully and she was miserable.   :(

We gotta take our blessings where we can.  Thanks for your post about GK.  Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Sue in Vancouver
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode