Author Topic: facial spasms  (Read 2548 times)

WhiskyJoe

facial spasms
« on: January 07, 2017, 09:52:32 am »
There are lots of posts in the "Facial Issues" category of the forum from people having hemi-facial spasms after treatment, whether the treatment be surgery or radiation.  I've been on watch and wait status since I was diagnosed four months ago.  I started having facial spasms this week.  They've occurred while taking a shower and have lasted about 30 seconds each.  Anyone else had this symptom before treatment?
- 9 x 5 x 7 mm tumor
- diagnosed 9/16
- tinnitus, severe single-sided hearing loss, equilibrium problems, semi-facial spasms
- translab surgery Friedman & Schwartz UCSD 9/18
- 100% of tumor removed

sharonov

• 1.7 X 1.3 X 1.1. Retro sigmoid at House, Schwartz
Re: facial spasms
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2017, 12:45:00 pm »
I was on watch-and-wait for 12 years, then the trigeminal neuralgia started.  The tumor had grown just enough--3mm in 12 years-- to impinge on that nerve, which is responsible for feeling in the face.  Yours could possibly have grown just enough to involve the facial nerve, which is responsible for movement.

If I were you I'd have my most recent MRI sent to one of the gurus in the field to see if indeed that is happening.  If it is, perhaps a quick treatment would be indicated.  And maybe not, of course.  I'm hardly a doctor and am basing this on my own experience--always a suspect conclusion.  But because of where these guys are situated, even a small growth can wreak havoc.  I now regret waiting so long.

Ellen K

Re: facial spasms
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2017, 01:53:00 pm »
I am also on W and W for a tiny right sided AN, but I have a slew of other neuro issues, including left sided facial tingling and spasms. I was concerned that I might be developing a left sided tumor, but my MRI (a couple of years ago) was clear. I'm also now having double vision, trouble walking, pins and needles.  I'll post separately about this, but just wanted you to know you are not alone. Please post if you find any answers. Good luck.
3mm diagnosed December 2010 when I was 45. Very unusual presentation - severe vertigo, then dizziness daily, now just occasional dizziness, but it can be debilitating some days. No hearing loss! But yes to ear fullness and wonky brain. Watch and wait.