Author Topic: Speech Discrimination (loss) & Tinnitus - Coping Skills  (Read 13148 times)

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
Re: Speech Discrimination (loss) & Tinnitus - Coping Skills
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2006, 01:05:26 pm »
Hello:

I'm leaving for a my dental "prophy" appointment.  It should be interesting getting my teeth cleaned with the somewhat loss of feeling in the cheek, gums and tongue.  (and the pain especially at the right side of the lip, today)

What I'm writing for before I leave this morning is this.............have any of you learned "sign-language" as a result of the hearing loss.  I saw sign done on a DVD at a concert once during a song.  I always thought it would be fun to learn "sign," anyway.  Do any of you know it and what is the best way to go about learning it?

Oh, one more question........can I safely have a couple of small glasses of wine with supper on Thanksgiving, do you think?  My Ct. scan is the Monday after Thanksgiving and then the Wed., Thurs., Fri., are the CK dates.  Is that too close to my appointments to have drinks on Thanksgiving.  It would sort-of be my celebration of finally getting to my Stanford dates.

Thank you for any help with these questions..........PALACE

Hi

I took sign language once, years ago, when we lived over on the coast. A family moved in and they had a handicapped daughter who was deaf (and other problems also). The mother had classes once to encourage people to learn the language. It was interesting, but since I didn't keep at it, I only remember a few signs.  Our local community college offers American Sign Language classes so they are available. Just last year I worked in a small shoe store and a 18 year girl came and worked there for awhile, and lo and behold she'd taken two years of ASL in high school.  A deaf customer came in and she was able to help that lady. She'd had a deaf friend and wanted to be able to talk with her, and that's why she took the classes.  It was wonderful they way she could talk with her, and I thought it was too bad we all don't know ASL.  It could come in handy!

Sue in Vancouver, USA
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
Re: Speech Discrimination (loss) & Tinnitus - Coping Skills
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2006, 01:56:31 pm »

Actually .. I've thought of this too .. I've been lurking on some deaf forums and have come to the conclusion that ASL (American Sign Language) is to much to learn by myself ..I've read that it takes 3 to 5 years to become really good at it !! ... If I ever get a friend or co-worker that is deaf I would love to learn it from them and use it with them ....

I do have this saved .. a ASL web site!

http://www.aslpro.com/cgi-bin/aslpro/phrases
4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital