Author Topic: Diabetes and treatment options  (Read 4761 times)

mar50

Diabetes and treatment options
« on: December 17, 2016, 05:25:01 am »
Hi - I was treated 10 years ago with a combination of surgery and GK and had clean MRIs until this year. I have my six month follow up MRI this week for the 6 mm growth that was found in June.

I have of course started researching options if/when treatment is warranted and have a question for any other ANers with diabetes. Did diabetes influence the method of treatment you chose? If so, how? And what was your experience?

Although my doctor at least initially said another surgery is not an option, it seems like in some cases in could be.  I did not have diabetes last time around (I was diagnosed with LADA 3 years ago and am on basal insulin only) but can imagine recovery would be challenging with insulin. I have seen T1 family members have a hard time managing BG while hospitalized. Plus, steroids....last time I had several rounds of decadron and know even then my BG fluctuated greatly.

Any experiences/thoughts/suggestions?

THANK YOU
Mar 

JmLgrace

Re: Diabetes and treatment options
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2022, 09:28:42 am »
Hi Mar50!
I am a T1 diabetic (48 years).  Was diagnosed recently with a 2.9x2.6x2.3 AN.  My ENT said it was surgery for me.  Said with the size of the tumor the possibility of radiation causing swelling of the tumor was too risky.  Going to the neurosurgeon...soon as they call.  Glucose control is of utmost importance during and post surgery.  I am concerned about how they will manage my diabetes and am planning on discussing iv fluids and glucose parameters with the neuro.  I believe that CMS is working at lowering glucose ranges as it is becoming evident that they are a factor in outcomes and healing. 
If you are still here, let us know how things are with you now.
Blessings to you!

donjehle

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2022, 05:41:50 pm »
I know nothing about how diabetes affects AN treatment.  However, I was intrigued by the fact that mar50 had clean MRIs for about 10 years.  Isn't that a rarity?  I thought the odds of developing another AN after that long was unusual.  But I don't really know.  I wonder how many others have had a recurrence after ten years of clean MRIs?  That is quite scary!
Burning Tongue, Loss of Hearing & Balance, and Tinnitus led to MRI. Very small AN found on 11/23/2021
While watching and waiting, lost significant hearing. WRS now at 12% (down from 100%). Was fitted with CROS system on 3/7/22.  Stable MRI on 7/29/22
No treatment yet.

Cheryl R

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2022, 12:55:31 am »
Any diabetic will be closely watched for blood sugars.   The steroids will raise your blood sugars.     Usually will have the stand blood sugars checked and an insulin dose then give you with the dosage  per a pre determined amount for what the blood sugar is.        What happens when you go home depends on if oral steroids at home or not.       You will be back to your usual regimen in time.        What type insulin now used I don't know.          Back during my nurse days Humulog was used.          Been some time and on a med surg floor.  I was also pre diabetic for my AN surgeries and had blood sugar checked even in ICU  and a couple times got given some insulin.                I have only been on oral meds since diabetic in time.       I doubt you would need to be on an IV drip unless you are normally very hard to regulate.
                                                                      Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

JmLgrace

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2022, 03:42:38 pm »
Thanks Cheryl!  Good to know.  Do AN surgery patients stay on the steroids for very long or how do they determine the length?