Author Topic: My mother is 78 just diagnosed with 1cm tumor...  (Read 2680 times)

levraiw

My mother is 78 just diagnosed with 1cm tumor...
« on: December 03, 2016, 02:00:35 pm »
Any advice..or words of wisdom

ANSydney

Re: My mother is 78 just diagnosed with 1cm tumor...
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2016, 05:19:45 pm »
Not much information to go by, but given the tumor size (small) and your mother's age, observation is likely to be recommended.

I'm not qualified, so whatever the neurologist (or two) say is the qualified answer.

Useful information is symptoms, particularly level of hearing deterioration.

levraiw

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2016, 12:32:03 pm »
My mum is 78..1cm tumor..hearing is very bad in that ear..balance problems are her most immediate problem..first thought it was all vertigo related...had hearing tests and mri....doctor immediately said because of age surgery would not be option..worried..concerned and confused

ms444

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2016, 02:12:55 pm »

I'm sorry to hear about your mother's diagnosis and her balance issues.  As many others point out on this forum, I think its certainly important to get an opinion (or 2 or 3) from high volume centers.  Most providers will be happy to review imaging and discuss their impression with you by phone.  however, in your mother's case, her age, overall health, and current symptoms are going to weigh heavily in any treatment recommendations thus I believe that an in person consultation with a high volume center would be useful. 

I am certainly not a neurosurgeon or a radiation doctor, so this is just my opinion based on what you have shared. 
surgery typically helps eliminate vestibular symptoms, but given her age and possible surgical risks, surgery may not be the best option.  HOWEVER, age is just a number,  and her overall health is the more important factor in making a decision regarding surgery. 

With respect to radiation, from what has been recommended to me and hearing other patient's stories, radiation is not a great option for patients with vestibular symptoms (dizziness, balance issues, etc), as these typically do not go away following radiation and sometimes can be exacerbated.   

my guess is that observation with interval imaging and some vestibular therapy to help with her balance issues may be the most appropriate, but would strongly encourage you to seek out formal opinions from surgeons and radiation docs that specialize in acoustic neuroma.

PaulW

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2016, 11:06:57 am »
There is probably little point in surgery or radiation with such a small slow growing tumour.
If the balance problems are severe and ongoing it maybe worth investigating gentamicin treatment to kill off the vestibular nerve on the affected side.
10x5x5mm AN
Sudden Partial hearing loss 5/28/10
Diagnosed 7/4/10
CK 7/27/10
2/21/11 Swelling 13x6x7mm
10/16/11 Hearing returned, balance improved. Feel totally back to normal most days
3/1/12 Sudden Hearing loss, steroids, hearing back.
9/16/13 Life is just like before my AN. ALL Good!