Author Topic: Blood transfusion?  (Read 10107 times)

Sefra22

Blood transfusion?
« on: November 06, 2006, 06:09:13 am »
Is a blood transfusion necessary for AN surgery? I forgot to ask my neurosurgeon. If so, do most hospitals allow you to have your own blood stored for your own use?
Lisa from Portland, Maine age 46
Diagnosed June 2006
15mm X 17mm AN right side 80% hearing loss
GK March 14,2007 Dr. Noren, Providence RI
1 Year follow-up MRI shows "slight shrinkage".
2 Year follow-up MRI shows "No Change".
3 Year follow-up MRI "stable".
BAHA surgery 4-22-09 BP100 Sept. 2009

HeadCase2

• Carpe Grog
Re: Blood transfusion?
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2006, 07:49:05 am »
Sefra22,
  Neurosurgeons probably use techniques to limit blood loss during AN surgery.  I didn't need additional blood, but I suppose it is in the range of possibilities.  I asked about it before surgery, and was told that seetting aside blodd beforehand was not needed.  If this is something that concerns you, ask your neurosurgeon or ENT surgeon about it, or the admin person who assists them.  I'm sure it's a common question.
Regards,
 Rob
1.5 X 1.0 cm AN- left side
Retrosigmoid 2/9/06
Duke Univ. Hospital

GrogMeister of the PBW

krbonner

• www.facebook.com/krbonner, bunnums on Twitter
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2006, 07:57:33 am »
A blood transfusion should only be needed if something goes very, very, very wrong.  This is not a bloody surgery.  But you can definitley follow-up to see what your docs say.  For me, the nurses went over everything, including transfusion information, during my pre-op appts a couple days before the surgery.

Katie
diagnosed June 2005
2.3cmx1.6cmx1.4cm left AN
translab Sept 13, 2006; Drs. McKenna and Barker in MA (MEEI/MGH)

Raydean

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2006, 03:37:13 pm »
I'd like to share that blood may be drawn before hand for lack of a better word, to be used as a
"blood glue".  My husband self donated 2 units for this purpose.  His residual surgery date was determined by the length of time it would take to to able to self donate 2 units.  My husband was not
in a desperate situation for the residual surgery.  "Blood Glue" made alot more sense to us then some of the other stuff that's used.  The Doctor was very clear in that this was not a transfusion type thing, and if I'm remembering right it  (blood glue) wasn't needed. But it was something that we both felt would be great to have if needed.  There's a fancy name for this type of thing, but since it's been 8 years truthfully I've forgotten the name, besides it was so much easier to say blood glue.

best to all
Raydean
Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Battyp

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2006, 08:23:14 pm »
I know my op report said I only lost about 400cc of blood during the 9 hour procedure.

Blood glue sounds like something from a horror movie...I actually kinda like it  LOL

matti

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2006, 08:53:04 pm »
I was required to give a pint of blood for storage. My doctor said it is very rarely used, but he likes to have it just in case. I can't remember exactly, but I lost very little blood during my surgery. I think Karla who had her surgery this summer did end up having a transfusion? Was it that they nicked a vein?

cheryl
3.5 cm  - left side  Single sided deafness 
Middle Fossa Approach - California Ear Institute at Stanford - July 1998
Dr. Joseph Roberson and Dr. Gary Steinberg
Life is great at 50

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2006, 05:11:27 pm »
I self donated in North Carolina and they sent it to House for free! Good old Red Cross!
Capt Deb
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

kerri lyn angel

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2006, 09:12:04 pm »
in my case it was just a part of the normal translab procedure to donate blood for yourself prior to surgery. this was to use for the "glue" they make and any situation that may arise where extra blood was necessary. there  was actually a special day set up just for this purpose and it had to be  done a specific length of time before the surgery . i think it was like no more than three days or something but dont hold me to that because i had days worth of pre op and had to travel a great deal to get it all done. thank god my husband brought me eveytime or i probably wouldnt have gotten where i had to go. i was declining rapidly.so anyway i thought donating blood to yourself was standard.
large an removed june 1, 2005 14.5 hour trans lab surgery permenantly disabled but breathing

ixta

• grade 4 left AN
    • Killkuato Acoustic Dx and Tx
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2006, 10:55:26 pm »
Shahinian had Artery/vein leads in my left foot and an arter/vein leads in my left hand, I am sure they were circulating my blood through a warming machine.  I did not need a transfusion. But if the need had arisen-let it flow-per my medical directive.

Sefra-
If you you are a JW or have other religious viewpoints on blood, surgeons are very understandable and can discuss blood alternatives or parts of blood that would be acceptable within the belief system. I would say that all General Anestesia surgeries warrant the possibility of a transfusion if needed, especially brain surgery-so concern about a transfusion possibility needs to be brought out right away with surgeons if blood is a personal issue with anybody. I am not a JW myself but have friends that are. The watchtower has Hospital Liasion comittees made especially for this reason. There are parts of blood that the governing body would allow a witness to accept-and I believe current policy allows Hemophiliac JWs to accept transfusions. If you are a JW, and a full on "theocratic" one, and have conviction on the issue-talk to your Doc alone.
So far over the last few years, WT policy has stated "its a personal choice". The giving of your own blood pre op would not be a problem I believe. ::)
5cm left AN from IAC to cerebellum/brainstem.
Zapped out by Shahinian @ SBI over the course of 6.5 hrs on Monday 11/27 2006.
thestatus.com   h   biologyfly06

Sefra22

« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2006, 10:34:41 pm »
I am not a JW, I would just want my own if I need it. I have a fairly rare type (A-), and I donate blood on a regular basis, which is weird because I have a fear of blood, but as long as I don't see it, I'm okay.
Lisa from Portland, Maine age 46
Diagnosed June 2006
15mm X 17mm AN right side 80% hearing loss
GK March 14,2007 Dr. Noren, Providence RI
1 Year follow-up MRI shows "slight shrinkage".
2 Year follow-up MRI shows "No Change".
3 Year follow-up MRI "stable".
BAHA surgery 4-22-09 BP100 Sept. 2009

Shrnwldr

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2007, 07:37:40 am »
I was told by my doctor that before surgery I will need to give a pint of blood.  The pint will be put on standby for that "just in case" scenario. 
2cm x1cm, right side
Surgery: Trans-lab approach
Dr. Jerald V. Robinson, Dr. William Hitselberger, Dr. Michael Stefan.
Hopsital: St Vincent's Hospital, Los Angeles, CA
Date of Surgery: May 18, 2007

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2007, 03:21:03 pm »
Sefra22:

Self-donating blood in anticipation of major surgery is not uncommon.  However, my surgeon - who is very conservative - never even mentioned it.  So, I did not self-donate blood.  Fortunately, I did not have a need for it, during or after the surgery.  I believe this is something specific to individual surgeons and hospital rules.  If your surgeon or the hospital want you to self-donate a pint of blood, they'll likely tell you.  If they don't, it's not considered necessary, unless you have a personal desire to donate your blood as a precaution.  Ask your doctor.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Shrnwldr

« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2007, 04:18:33 pm »
I have been asked to donate a pint of blood for my surgery by my doctors.   
2cm x1cm, right side
Surgery: Trans-lab approach
Dr. Jerald V. Robinson, Dr. William Hitselberger, Dr. Michael Stefan.
Hopsital: St Vincent's Hospital, Los Angeles, CA
Date of Surgery: May 18, 2007