Author Topic: no known cause  (Read 4309 times)

jason z

no known cause
« on: November 05, 2006, 05:44:37 pm »
hello all,I am a  37 year old male and have been recently diagnosed with a 3+ cm AN and have the usual symptoms heaaadache dizzy weak tired neck pain tinitus clogged hearing and fear. I feel fortunate enough to have stumbled across this site.I have had many conversations with crazycat and have read so many conversations beetween all of you that I almost feel as though I know who you are.I will be having a translab at MGH sometime in the near future.I have no health ins and having a hard time finding a way to get approved  but I am not out of resources yet. (anyone have about a hundred grand I can borrow) :) anyways my recent thoughts were to try to find some common factors between all of us that could maybe help others later try to see if just maybe there is some sort of cause of this because this really sucks having a 2 year old boy and an 11 year old girl having to sit around making no money when I am self employed as a tile and marble Installer. well these are just some of my thoughts and i cant always get to the computer but I try to visist here each day.Thanks for being here for eachother
3cm AN left side
surgery in Jan 2007
McKenna/Barker/MGH/MEEI
Headaches,tinitus,neckaches,hearing loss

lmurray69

Re: no known cause
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2006, 06:03:39 pm »
 I  know it seems like things are down right now,But, There is always a answer...I prayed for 2 yrs to have a compassionate DR. and threw this forum I found him at House ear institute. LA ..They are very carring and compassionate. Look to the news papers and  churchs in your area for help.If you dont ask you wont get it...I know My church in Missouir is paying for the 50.00$ hotel...My friends and family have each give us money to eat,travel, and  their homes to stay in till we could arrive here safely.  You will be in my prayers..Hang in there and dont get discouraged...When you get so wound up and think you taken your last step,,,Look up!  He will be there...God bless//Linda Murray  email me anytime...I am at seton guest center 4 days after surgery..Your first 2 days are the worst, but I lost them ..I slept right threw...It's god wonderfull...I look like I just had 3 drinks and walk like a duck...But I am alive...
radiation feb 05, gammaknife, tumor is 1.2x0.08/ surgery Nov 1st 2006 Dr House/Swarts/

richard

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2006, 06:50:54 pm »
Jason

Where I work there are 3 of us with AN's that I know of-out of 2500 people.  We work at the largest power plant in the United States, and presumably we have some of the largest power lines.  There have been many studies done on the effects of power lines, and I beleive they indicate no statistical health effects.  But you got to wonder.

Richard

Palace

• Palace
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2006, 08:04:34 pm »
Richard,

Did you read under the section of FAQ at the posted subject of.......IS this TRUE!!!?? if so, THIS IS SCARY!!???

You might enjoy reading that section and also, read what I wrote there as, it pertains to what you wrote.

My dog is poking me.......want attention........gotta go.....

Palace
22 mm Acoustic Neuroma (right side)
Cyberknife, Nov. & Dec. 2006
Dr. Iris Gibbs & Dr. Blevins @ Stanford
single sided deafness

Battyp

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2006, 09:35:45 pm »
Jason sorry you are joining our family.  We truly are a family in many ways.  Heck I've never met anyone on here face to face and I like them better than my real family!  Have you filed with your state for health benefits?  I know after I lost my job and health insurance I filed with the state and didn't qualify for medicare of medicaid but did for share of cost.  They way they explained it to me was after my medical bills were more than a certain amount for the month I can submit it to the state for payment.  I also know that the hospital that did my treatment told me when I lost my insurance after not being able to go back to work to just let them know and they'll write off my follow ups and treatments.  I'm not sure what is aval in your area but contact ss, children and family services, vocational rehab.  If I think of anymore I'll let you know. 

All my best to you!
M

sherry6

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2006, 04:51:35 pm »
Hi Jason -

I was very lucky to have great health insurance at the time I had my surgery.  I can't imagine looking at the bill for this surgery otherwise, so after reading your post, I thought there must be something out there for patients that don't have insurance (grants, hearing assoc, etc) that would help in a situation such as this.  I barely started searching last night and today I called the House Ear Clinic.  I spoke with Chris, patient counselor, and she stated that she didn't know of any, but that if you don't have ins, the docs and hospital reduce the cost of your surgery to $39K - $44K.  That is still a huge amount, but it was much more for mine with ins.  Its a start and maybe there are churches or other groups that will participate as well?  I will continue to look into.  If you do not want to go there, maybe your place of choice might offer the same? 

It seems to me that the AN Assoc would be able to help locating such services or even offer something.  If not, seems like something that ANers would contribute to for patients such as yourself.  Does anyone else know of a fund?  So many people do not have ins these days and that is scary when this sort of need arises. 

Best,

Sherry

Raydean

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2006, 05:49:27 pm »
As far as the ANA Association I know that it is a 501 C (not sure about the C) status which means it's a non profit and has strict guideline to follow.  Basically what they do for one, must do for all.   I don't think that they would have the funds to help because it's a fairly small organization.

I know that some Doctors will donate their services.  I'd consider talking to a Social service person to see what you might qualify for.  They're very knowledgable in various State programs, insurance and the such.  Most hospitals  will also provide a Social Service person to speak to. 

I'd also be upfront with your treating doctor's they might have some ideas that will help.

Wish i had a answer, but I'd start with talking to a Social worker.

Best to you
Raydean
Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Pembo

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2006, 09:10:57 am »
I met a person who had an AN removed and found after surgery that her insurance was denying her claim. She ended up having to file medical bankruptcy or she would have owed the hospital over $100K. They wanted to set her up on a payment plan of $1000 a month. Now, you have to laugh at that. ;)

Good luck to you jason and post anytime, we're all here to help. :)
Surgery June 3, 2004, University Hospitals Cleveland, BAHA received in 2005, Facial Therapy at UPMC 2006

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2006, 09:25:18 am »

denyied she had a brain tumor? .. jeez .. I would say, I can't pay that !! .. ok, put it back then !  :D
4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital