Tomorrow morning I'll have my first follow up MRI, 6 months after the first MRI. Tomorrow, or soon after, I'll learn if my tumor is growning, staying the same or shrinking.
I'm predicting it has not grown (more than 2 mm) and will do the same at the 1 year MRI.
This is not wishful thinking, but knowing that only generally about 20% of tumors grow (more than 2 mm). In my specific case, I have two things that make the odds of growing even less than generally. The first is that I first noticed hearing loss more than 3 years ago, so given that Stangerup et al 2006 had no growing tumors more than four years after diagnosis, it appears that they reach their maximum size after about four years of symptoms appearing. The second favorable factor is that I have not had symptom progression over the years. My hearing PTA has only dropped about 7 dB in over 3 years and other symptoms are stable.
The most significant factor regarding future growth is growth in the first year. I don't know this yet.
Paldor et al 2016 in their meta-analysis found no correlation with growth when looking at age, sex, hearing loss at presentation, vertigo, initial tumor size, location (ICA or CPA) or tumor side. They found that tinnitus and imbalance may be predictive of growth, neither of which I have.
So, I'm predicting about a 10% chance of growth (>2 mm), 10% chance of shrinkage (<1 mm) and about 80% chance of stable size.
I'll let you know which category I'm in once I know. (Surgery scares me more than the tumor.)