Author Topic: 5 weeks after Retrosigmoid Surgery at NY Presbyterian  (Read 3183 times)

stacey4574

5 weeks after Retrosigmoid Surgery at NY Presbyterian
« on: October 21, 2016, 11:03:53 am »
Hi everyone!
So, let me say that my surgery was 5 weeks ago this past Wednesday (9/14/16) and I am doing AMAZING!!!  I had my surgery at Columbia Presbyterian in NYC with Dr. Michael Sisti.  I am so thankful for the way things turned out and wanted to share my story to help others waiting to have surgery.  First let me start by saying that I was out of my mind panicked, anxious and unnerved at the thought of this surgery.  Not only did Dr. Sisti put my mind at ease, his expertise and bedside manner have no comparison!
I was admitted at 6am on surgery day.  I had my logistics entered and was then led to the pr-op staging area.  There I gave additional details about my heath, etc and was typed and crossed in the event that I needed blood (which I definitely did NOT).  The anethesiologist then came to visit about 30 minutes later, confirmed my weight and reviewed the things he and 2 residents would monitor throughout the surgery.  After he left, one of Dr. Sisti's residents came in to go over any concerns and let me know that my neck would be sore and stiff afterwards.
By 7:30am, I was kissing hubby goodbye and walking to the OR with the anesthesia team.  I laid down on the table, was given a warm blanket, and was reassured by a nurse, who held my hand until I went to sleep, that everything would be great.  I am terrified of needles, and expressed this to the resident.  She gave me a teeny injection which numbed my hand before she inserted the IV.  I didn't feel a thing!!  The anethesiologist then came with his 3 vaccutainers of meds.  He asked what my favorite cocktail was, and before I could answer, I was asleep.
I woke up in the Neuro ICU around 3pm (as promised), with my husband by my side.  I was dizzy, tired and nauseous.  My neck was stiff but not unbearably.  The surgery was an amazing success!!  100% of tumor removed, no facial or eye issues, hearing preserved and the best possible outcome!  My tinnitus is better than before the surgery too.
The next 24 hours are a blur of on and off sleep.  The following day, I was still nauseous, and vomiting but again that was the worst thing.  I was not in any pain, and only used the morphine button twice to send myself off to sleep instead of throwing up.  The PT came to visit, after the surgeon told me I could stay in bed that day, and I sent her packing as I couldn't imagine standing up.
By that evening, I was released from the ICU and sent to the general surgery floor.  The catheter was removed, and I even drank some water.  My IVs were disconnected but not removed in case they were needed again (which they were not).  The next few days were spent taking short walks around the halls, eating a couple of bites here and there, and of course sleeping. 
By Saturday morning, the resident visited and we both agreed it was time to go HOME ;D
I was released at 11am that day, feeling pretty good, and eager to sleep in my own bed.
My husband stayed home with me for the next week, running around and tending to me as I was not allowed to bend down or lift ANYTHING.  I would try to help, and get tired about 10 minutes into the task.
By the 2nd week home, friends were coming over and taking me for walks and to lunch to fill in the days.  As the weeks went by, i was stronger each day and feeling more like myself.  I am now 6 weeks out and feel great!  Working out everyday, with restrictions on intensity and weight to be cautious.  I'm back to work almost full time and amazed and thankful to have this behind me.
All in all it was so much better than I had imagined-- Good luck to all and ask any questions you like!
« Last Edit: October 27, 2016, 02:25:26 pm by stacey4574 »
2.5cm AN diagnosed 7-14-16
Currently meeting neurosurgeons to decide on surgery date

JLR

Re: 5 weeks after Retrosigmoid Surgery at NY Presbyterian
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2016, 03:35:54 pm »
Hi thanks so much. I'm scheduled for surgery Tues Nov 1 and like you I'm nervous and anxious. But do feel better after reading about your surgery. Hearing balance and facial nerves all intact? I too NY Presbyterian. Thanks Joan

mcrue

• Greg Mech
    • gregmech26
Re: 5 weeks after Retrosigmoid Surgery at NY Presbyterian
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2016, 07:29:39 am »
Hi thanks so much. I'm scheduled for surgery Tues Nov 1 and like you I'm nervous and anxious. But do feel better after reading about your surgery. Hearing balance and facial nerves all intact? I too NY Presbyterian. Thanks Joan

If everything stayed on schedule you should be in surgery right now!

You're brave to have surgery the morning after Halloween. I know many teachers hate to work on that day for a reason.

Having salvage microsurgery after failed radiation can be extremely tricky, with increased risks and complications for facial nerve damage (as reportedly the tumor may have become fused/sticky from the previous radiation and adhere to the facial nerve making it more difficult to remove).

Perhaps they will take a conservative approach and won't remove it all?

Dr. Schwartz at the House Clinic in Los Angeles told me last year that the risk of facial nerve issues from salvage microsurgery increases from 5% to 15% when Dr. Schwartz performs the surgery. The risk of salvage surgery is much higher when performed by less experienced surgeons, according to Dr. Schwartz. This makes sense.

Anyways, naturally all of us are keeping you in our thoughts and prayers for a fantastic result. 
5/19/2015 - 40% sudden hearing loss + tinnitus right ear

6/26/2015 - AN diagnosed by MRI - 14mm x 7mm + 3mm extension

8/26/2015 - WIDEX "ZEN" hearing aid for my catastrophic tinnitus

12/15/2015: 18mm x 9mm + 9mm extension (5mm AGGRESSIVE GROWTH in 5 months)

3/03/2016:   Gamma Knife - Dr. Sheehan