Author Topic: hearing protection - advice?  (Read 3662 times)

adventure23

• GK on 9/6/2016
hearing protection - advice?
« on: September 11, 2016, 04:34:17 pm »
I am post GK by a week and want to learn more about protecting my good (right) ear.  Lots of products out there for hearing protection and noise cancellation but is there any objective standard or source on what actually works?  Most concerned about actual hearing protection - as in lower the db to which my ear is subjected during high noise activities such as lawn mowing, air travel and loud events.  I have a pair of Bose 25 noise cancelling headphones.  But is noise cancelling the same thing as actual ear protection?  Let the discussion begin!
hearing on left side went from 50% to 0% within days of GK, steroids were prescribed, waiting to see if they work (10/16)
GK to blast Bubba on 9/6/2016
6mm x 8mm left side diagnosed 7/2016 after hearing and vestibular symptoms, named it Bubba

ANGuy

Re: hearing protection - advice?
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2016, 08:25:21 pm »
Hearing protection is rated by db reduction and all hearing protection has a rating label on it that is specified by the government.  I doubt noise cancelling headphones are considered hearing protection, but if they are, they will specifically be labeled as such.

As someone who has worn hearing protection of all types, on firing ranges, industrial circumstances, and while cutting the lawn, here is my $0.02:  Any hearing protection is better than none.  Cheap, disposable, foam plugs are as effective, or more so, than the muff types depending on the db rating as long as they are inserted properly.  Adults should be able to insert plugs properly but kids probably can't.  Muffs work great and are good for frequent on and off situations, plugs take more time and effort to put in.  Muffs are hot and sweaty when it is hot out.  Expensive electronic muffs work well from a safety standpoint, but I find the electronics worthless, especially on a firing range.  They amplify every small sound like people loading magazines etc and make them all equal.  So, the range commands and somebody zipping a bag shut are all equal and therefore impossible for me to discern.  I've used several electronic muffs and I think they are all equally worthless, other people swear by them.

So, for mowing the lawn, cheap foam plugs work great and don't act like two little ovens around your ears.  On the firing range, I wear both, plugs and muffs.  I don't care about the heat and sweat from the muffs because I want the extra protection.  Also, I can pop off the muffs to have a conversation and still have the plugs in.  If you wear both, you add 10db to the higher rating of the two devices.  So, 30db muffs+ 30db plugs = 40db total reduction.  Plugs are nice because you can stash them various places, like your glove compartment etc.  I work in and industrial setting, so I just grab a handful here and there when my stash runs low. 

Any $15.00 set of muffs from walmart or Academy are fine.  Just get ones that fit comfortably and they should all be rated around 30db or so.
Diagnosed June 2014 1cm AN at 47 years of age.  Had fluctuating symptoms since 2006.    6 mos MRI (Dec 2014) showed no growth, MRI  in July 2015 showed no growth.  MRI Jan 2016 showed no growth.  MRI Aug 2016 showed no growth.  I'm gonna ride the WW train as long as I can.

Stina44

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2016, 09:30:55 am »
I have a special made ear plug that was made for when i waa in high school, for during band. It has 2 noise filters. One reduces noise by 15 decibels and the other by 25.  It is nice when i am somewhere with alot of back ground noise but it makes it hard to hear anyone talking to u... I ended up not really useing it. Although i love that mine cant be seen, go with noise canceling head phones. They r way cheaper.

alabamajane

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2016, 10:53:24 am »
I am SSD , single-side deaf,, so protecting my " good" ear is a top priority for me.  ;)

Good info here, just wanted to add, be sure and use protection when blow drying your hair. I use foam ear plugs. That level of noise is very close to your ears!

My $.02 worth too,,,  :o
Jane
translab Oct 27, 2011
facial nerve graft Oct 31,2011, eyelid weight removed Oct 2013, eye closes well

BAHA surgery Oct. 2014, activated Dec. 26

robertwh2

• Personal Blog
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2016, 05:44:01 pm »
I had an audiologist make me a custom ear mold for my good ear (SSD) and I use it when shooting, on the factory floor at work, and so on. Protecting what hearing I have. It was only $100 or so and the best protection I think you can get.
Diagnosed Feb 2010 with 2.3cm x 3.2cm left side AN
Trans Lab May 26, 2010 tumor had grown to 4.5cm, University of Michigan
Subsequent MRIs are clear
Left single sided deafness

adventure23

• GK on 9/6/2016
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2016, 05:13:47 pm »
Thank you for your replies and advice.  It is all very helpful!  I have already squirreled ear plugs away in purse, car, home and office!
hearing on left side went from 50% to 0% within days of GK, steroids were prescribed, waiting to see if they work (10/16)
GK to blast Bubba on 9/6/2016
6mm x 8mm left side diagnosed 7/2016 after hearing and vestibular symptoms, named it Bubba