Author Topic: the Long AN journey... and the new family members met along the way  (Read 8317 times)

Lorenzo

Re: the Long AN journey... and the new family members met along the way
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2007, 12:48:29 pm »
Phyl, Skype is loaded, credits are bought, handset is ordered...
cioa, Lorenzo

Gennysmom

• Genny says "La!"
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2007, 12:57:59 pm »
I say we all just go to Ireland and visit Lorenzo.  Being from "the Emerald City" I'd love to visit the "Emerald Isle".  Been to that other rock just to the east of ya, but never there.  How was Spain?  Have some chorizo and jamon and Cava for me????  Yummy!!!!!
3.1cm x 2.0cm x 2.1cm rt AN Translab 7/5/06
CSF leak 7/17/06 fixed by 8 day lumbar drain
Dr. Backous, Virgina Mason Seattle
12/26/07 started wearing TransEar

Lorenzo

« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2007, 01:09:37 pm »
Emerald isle is open for business, all are welcome. Lets have an AN bash on this side of the atlantic! This is an easy country to invade, so lets have an AN invasion from the Big Country! :)

Spain was sunny and extremely quiet! Fantastic. At times a bit too quiet, but overall it was nice and warm too. Spent most of the time in inland Andalucia, drinking cerveza, wine, eating Jamon and Chorizo and tostadas, not to mention some fish and various types of pigs and lambs and kid goats, and of course drinking copious amounts of festive cava for all of my An friends! Actually, to be honest, I still have some Cava here, so I'm going to open another one tomorrow and celebrate some more. Salute!

Oooops, I'm hungry. Better go and have some salsichon with the bread I made earlier...

Ciao, Lorenzo
« Last Edit: January 05, 2007, 01:11:30 pm by Lorenzo »

Static

« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2007, 03:35:05 pm »
Katie - so sorry to hear about your father, mythoughts are with you and your family.

I've never had the opportunity to meet anyone in person.  Don't really know of anyone else in the Philly area but am hoping to meet some people at the Symposium (I already signed up).  Can we bring our dogs?
Karen
3.5cm AN removed 1-21-04
CSF leak repaired 5/04
SSD Right

Raydean

« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2007, 04:33:59 pm »
Alittle over nine years ago we began my husband's AN journey.  For many reasons including size, location, being treated on emergency basis we were totally lost.  We were facing significant outcomes, the realities of being disabled and the financial issues that follow.  I didn't have a clue where to turn to, or whom to turn to.  It was probably one of the darkest times of our lifes.  Thankfully, I had guardian angels in earthly form who chose to walk along side of Chet and I until we were strong enough to walk this path.  Lois White, (former ANA Director)  David Minger, JoAnn Gunter and Dr Charles Mangham all played an important part.  Each shared knowledge, compassion, each gave us hope, lent us their strength. listen with their ears and heart.  Both Chet and I are better people because of what these 4 people did for us.  What a priceless gift!!   

Like so many others on this board we made the choice to walk along side of others till they to were strong enough to walk alone.  Phyl, thank you so much for giving me credit, but the truth is, it was inside you all along!!!  You made all these good things happen by researching and working so hard at understanding your options.

The value of this forum is inmeasureable.  I see it in so many ways.  Information shared, the reaching out, every good and positive outcome, we can all share in due to knowledge gained and shared.  Each of us rejoice with and for every positive outcome. Everytime someone posts that they have safely made it thru each of us does the happy dance!!! For those traveling the path less travel (outcomes) you too hold a special place in our hearts and at this table of AN.  We see your struggles.  Know in your hearts that we stand with you and beside you.  We see much more then the crooked smiles, or limp, the pain of headaches and all the other issues to numerous to count.
We see courage, inner strength, we see acceptence and hope for the future.  We see your willingness that lessons and knowledge be gained from your experience so that others will benefit from  your journey.

I am very proud to be a member of the AN family.  Most of you will never know how much we value each of you. How much you mean to us.  You stood with us thru the darkest of times. Surrounded us with love and strength when we lost our karina (granddaughter).  Stood with us as we faced serious health issues and along the way made me laugh.  We are both much better persons for knowing each of you.
You have made a positive difference in this journey.  Those closest to me know the issues that we
still face in the future with Chet and other family members.  Because of my AN family. i know we aren't alone!!

Hugs and Love
Raydean
« Last Edit: January 05, 2007, 05:53:04 pm by Raydean »
Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Brendalu

• Smile..it makes everyone wonder what you are up to
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2007, 05:50:57 am »
Katie..
My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family....
Hugs,
BrendaO
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

BevM

« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2007, 09:57:47 am »
Just want to join you in expressing appreciation for this forum.  AN can be a very isolating experience so the common experience, information before, during and after treatment is invaluable.  Having some idea of what to expect helps so much.  Being able to hear from those who are a few weeks, months and years ahead provide encouragement and answers for the questions that no one else (sometimes even including the "Docs") can answer.  So to those of you who continue to post even though you are doing well and don;t necessarily need the support yourself........Much gratitude!   That also make me want to give back by sharing information and experiences as well.

Bev

Obita

« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2007, 08:01:36 pm »
To Katie:
I am thinking of you.  I hope your father is comfortable.  My best friend (and room-mate) is nearing the end of his life too, after a 3 and a half year battle with Hodgkins.  The last 6 months have been very hard.  Every time we do anything, holidays, birthdays etc...he mentions how wierd it is to say this is my last Halloween, last Thanksgiving .......

This forum has provided endless friendships.  If someone fades away, someone new comes on.   When one of the regulars goes on vacation, you truly miss them.  When one of the regulars has a brain wreck, you truly miss them too. (Hi Capt.)

I am here because I like it here.  There is a chance to make a difference in someones life.  Calming anxieties is huge to me.  I had no one to calm mine while treatment options were being looked at.  Yes, I had family and friends saying "you will be fine"......how in the heck would they know that?  They, like myself, had no flippin idea what an AN was much less what I would be like after I got it out or zapped!!! 

I know now what it is like to have surgery, recover from it and move on without forgetting that there is someone who, just like me 2 and a half years ago, is very afraid and needs a friend THAT GETS IT!!

Kathy

Kathy - Age 54
2.5 cm translab May '04
University of Minnesota - Minneapolis
Dr. Sam Levine - Dr. Stephen Haines