Author Topic: Wife just diagnosed with 5x10x5mm AN yesterday, July 14, 2016  (Read 38502 times)

jeanhomer

Re: Wife just diagnosed with 5x10x5mm AN yesterday
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2017, 09:23:39 am »
Hi,

I am a 78 year old female, diagnosed in March with a AN . Had an MRI, the size on my heathtrak result was 10x4x4mm
I  am in watch and wait.  My second MRI is scheduled for Aug. 3rd..  My doctor is Barry Hirsh.  I dont know where to go from here. I got the impression that age has a lot to do with the treatment.  As he said old brains dont like to be lifted.  Depending on the results and his suggestion for the future i may need to seek a second opinion. I saw a Dr. lunsford on an AN site. He is also part of UPMC. I would appreciate any advice. Thank you.

PS. MY symptoms were and still are, tintinis, fullness and hearing loss.  I thought I might have wax in my ear when I made the appt. to see Dr. Hirsh.  totally not prepare for that diagnosis.

ANSydney

« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2017, 04:24:06 am »
Welcome to the club that nobody wants to be a member of, but everyone is friendly. At age 78 years with a 1.0x0.4x0.4 cm tumor and only hearing loss, tinnitus and fullness, you're best bet is to get an MRI every 6 months and see if it growing. How long have you had the symptoms?

jeanhomer

« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2017, 06:18:53 am »
Second MRI on thursday, August 3rd..  My symptoms started last winter tintinis in left ear and fullness, like water and cant get it out. tThought it might be wax build up.  Had my first MRI on Feb. 28th.  Diagnosed on march 5th. On wait and watch.I have a hearing loss sometimes I feel a little strange.  Very nervous about the upcoming MRI. 

ANSydney

« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2017, 06:02:55 pm »
Best wishes with your MRI on August 3. We'd be all interested in next MRI result. Remember the majority of acoustic neuromas don't grow (and even less need treatment).

GattoMarte

« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2017, 09:16:57 am »
Hi Geminigirl. Best wishes from me as well on your MRI on August 3.
December 1, 2015: Partial hearing loss in left ear
July 14, 2016: 5mm x 10mm x 5mm AN per MRI in left ear

ANSydney

« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2017, 05:10:19 pm »
Geminigirl, how did your MRI in August go?

GattoMarte

« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2018, 10:42:46 am »
**** UPDATE **** January 12, 2018 ****

Wifey had her third MRI on January 2. We sent the Image CD to Keck and heard from them yesterday. The doctor said that the Acoustic Neuroma was basically "stable" having grown about 1 millimeter (1/32") in one dimension only since July 2016.

We will be seeing the doctor in the office end of February, so, I'll update here after that.

Hope you all are doing OK and getting through these things well.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2018, 10:46:36 am by GattoMarte »

Joan Mingo

« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2018, 07:15:33 pm »
Hi GattoMarte
Glad no further growth. I was just diagnosed Dec 2016. Have had 2 MRIs and no growth. Have very little hearing in left ear and only 12% word recognition. Also have tinnitus in AN ear. Glad good news for your wife. I amon Watch and Wait also.
Just wondering what type of hearing aid she has. I am going to try one out next week but clinic suggested one for unaffected ear as there is slight hearing loss in that ear and they thought extra hesring would help overall. May possibly try out the receiver in left, going to right to help "hearing" from that side. Will see if helps at all. If didn't have AN, right ear wouldn't bebad enough to waarant a hearing aid.

Any thoughts or advice re hearing aids. Anyone?

Thank you for any response receivex.

Nova Scotia, Canada - Watch and Wait
ANA diagnosed Dec 2016
14x4mm schwanoma left ear
75% hearing loss- 12% recognition remaining
Watch and Wait

GattoMarte

« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2018, 10:38:30 am »
Hi GattoMarte
Glad no further growth. I was just diagnosed Dec 2016. Have had 2 MRIs and no growth. Have very little hearing in left ear and only 12% word recognition. Also have tinnitus in AN ear. Glad good news for your wife. I amon Watch and Wait also.
Just wondering what type of hearing aid she has. I am going to try one out next week but clinic suggested one for unaffected ear as there is slight hearing loss in that ear and they thought extra hesring would help overall. May possibly try out the receiver in left, going to right to help "hearing" from that side. Will see if helps at all. If didn't have AN, right ear wouldn't bebad enough to waarant a hearing aid.

Any thoughts or advice re hearing aids. Anyone?

Thank you for any response receivex.

Nova Scotia, Canada - Watch and Wait

Hi Joan. Glad the AN is showing no growth. As far as her hearing aid, we went to a local Hearing Aid Center for assistance. This Center did the original hearing test back in 2015 at the hospital.

Her single hearing aid was $1400.00US. This includes lifetime service and adjustment at the center. She is wearing in her good ear and it has been a very big help in improving her hearing. The hearing aid itself has a little round battery and a clear plastic dome to cover the speaker. Honestly, a cheaper aid might work just as well, I really don't know, since we had a little extra money we opted for one that is a bit higher priced but includes good service benefits.

If I remember correctly she has about 50% hearing loss in her good ear and 70% loss in the AN ear. A second hearing aid for the AN ear is an option that we may use in the future if necessary. So far the single aid in her good ear seems to be doing a good enough job.

« Last Edit: January 29, 2018, 10:40:11 am by GattoMarte »

GattoMarte

« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2018, 11:06:31 am »
****UPDATE****March 6, 2018****

We went to Keck/USC here in Los Angeles for a sit down with our doctor and all looks to be good at this time. A hearing test will be done next December for latest results.

So, unless my wife starts having bouts of dizziness, tinnitis or anything else out of the ordinary, we will have her fourth MRI done next January.

Good Luck all!!!!

notaclone13

« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2018, 04:12:51 pm »
Thanks so much for the updates. They are greatly appreciated by others in AN limbo,  also known as Watch and Wait. Glad your wife has not had significant growth and has  minimal symptoms. Hope she continues to have this kind of result. It gives the rest of us hope.

GattoMarte

« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2018, 05:52:38 pm »
Thanks so much for the updates. They are greatly appreciated by others in AN limbo,  also known as Watch and Wait. Glad your wife has not had significant growth and has  minimal symptoms. Hope she continues to have this kind of result. It gives the rest of us hope.

Glad to be of help. Best Wishes to All of Us.

PurrfectHappiness

« Reply #27 on: June 28, 2018, 10:11:36 am »
Hi, GattoMarte:

I am a Newbie (3 mos now diagnosed with 9x5x5mm left ear).

After numerous Dr consultations and tests, I have also decided to “W&W”. 

I wanted to share these two very enlightening and informative articles that you and your wife may find very educational.

I have decided to take daily baby aspirin (after discussing with my dr) while in “W&W” mode.

We are so fortunate to have the ANA for moral support and information.  It has helped me tremendously.

I wish you and your wife the very best on your AN journey.   

~Kind Regards to all

https://www.tinnitusformula.com/library/aspirin-slows-acoustic-neuroma-growth/

https://www.dizziness-and-balance.com/disorders/tumors/acoustic_neuroma/treatment.html

GattoMarte

« Reply #28 on: June 28, 2018, 05:44:13 pm »
Hi, GattoMarte:

I am a Newbie (3 mos now diagnosed with 9x5x5mm left ear).

After numerous Dr consultations and tests, I have also decided to “W&W”. 

I wanted to share these two very enlightening and informative articles that you and your wife may find very educational.

I have decided to take daily baby aspirin (after discussing with my dr) while in “W&W” mode.

We are so fortunate to have the ANA for moral support and information.  It has helped me tremendously.

I wish you and your wife the very best on your AN journey.   

~Kind Regards to all

https://www.tinnitusformula.com/library/aspirin-slows-acoustic-neuroma-growth/

https://www.dizziness-and-balance.com/disorders/tumors/acoustic_neuroma/treatment.html

Thank You. Best Wishes to All of Us here at ANA.

GattoMarte

« Reply #29 on: February 25, 2019, 10:46:02 am »
***UPDATE - February 25, 2019***

Wifey had 4th MRI about a month ago. Our surgeon at Keck USC reviewed last Friday. Slight growth of about 1mm of all three dimensions but surgeon's review with us said this is normal and not to be concerned at this time. So, 5th MRI will be done end of this year unless, of course, she develops ringing in ear, loss of balance, further loss of hearing.

So, hope this information helps. Best wishes to all you good people.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2019, 10:48:39 am by GattoMarte »