Author Topic: Hearing Devices  (Read 10518 times)

Randy

Hearing Devices
« on: November 01, 2006, 07:58:33 am »
Hello to all,
I have been looking into hearing devices such as the BAHA, the Trans CROSS, and now the TransEar devices.  I read Boppie's discussion page and I have heard from Cheryl (Thanks!).  I am looking for comments from those of you who are using any of these devices and what you think of them...The pro and cons of each.  I thought I was fairly sure about the BAHA, but now after hearing about the TransEar I'm not sure.  I have fairly good hearing on my left side.  My hearing on the right side was lost as a result of my AN surgery.  Any comments would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!  Randy

Battyp

Re: Hearing Devices
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2006, 12:14:24 pm »
Hi randy,
  Joef is the baha expert, boppie is the trans ear expert and Nate is the cros expert.  If you search those three you'll find their post discussing their experiences.  I'm hoping to be an expert on either the cros or trans ear soon!  No baha for me! 

M

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2006, 03:37:53 pm »
assuming the hearing aids are equal ...

I think the BAHA looks better (Im bais of course) .. nothing in your ear, no ear wax, and if you have hair .. most of time you can't see the BAHA)
Bad things are, you can't wear a HAT! .. but for me, in the office I never have a hat and when I'm out working in the yard or fishing, I dont want the BAHA in anyway! so a hat is ok. Longer wear times .. your skin does not have feel the aid vibrating, so wearing it 16 hours a day , I dont have problems ...

I assume with a Trans ear you can wear a hat ... you dont have a bolt in your head ..(who said I have a screw loose!)  no surgery required .. no bald spot .... I would say the older you are the better Transear looks .. but you have a big Hearing Aid in your ear .. Its harder to hide .. (should make them look like bluetooth). Some people can't wear them because of ear canal issues .. etc...

The BAHA was made for "Treacher Collins" .. people born with facial issues , little or no outer ears or eardrums. but the INNER ear is perfect ... in these cases the BAHA is the ONLY choice and works wonders ... I watched a TV special on it not to long ago, and a young girl they interviewed had a BAHA on! (they did not say much about it)

check out:  http://www.baha-users-support.com/cgi-bin/2bb/2bb.cgi or http://www.transear.com/
« Last Edit: November 01, 2006, 03:40:43 pm by Joef »
4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital

Pembo

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2006, 07:31:58 pm »
I love my Baha and I cut a hole in my hat so I can wear it. Again, I love mine.
Surgery June 3, 2004, University Hospitals Cleveland, BAHA received in 2005, Facial Therapy at UPMC 2006

Randy

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2006, 09:10:34 am »
Joef,
Thanks for your reply.  I am not in any hurry to get a hearing device just yet, but I do want to know what's out there.  When I went to my ENT and tried the sample BAHA it sounded like the sound you might hear from a cheap speaker.  I don't know if it was because the sound had to go through the skin and muscle tissue or not.  How is the quality of sound fromr BAHA?  I work out of doors and many times I do wear a hat, so that may pose a problem as well.

chrissmom

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2006, 09:59:34 am »
We're still looking at the Starkey Destiny for Chris.  It is transcranial and you wear it in the bad ear and soundwaves travel thru the skull to the good ear.  His audiologist believes that the software for this device is best because of the clear sound received without feedback.  I have other posts on this forum on this if you want to search.

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2006, 01:29:58 pm »
One of the reasons I'm going to the symposium in July is that I'm hoping a lot of these device companies will have reps there with booths where you can try these things on! Anyone been to one of the symposiums? Most of the time I'm pretty happy with SSD--I work at home and have no kids. But going anywhere public or to a gathering where there are lots of people talking--I end up sitting in the corner because I can't participate in a conversation.  I've become very reclusive because of this.  I'm hoping some kind of device will help me come out of the shell I seem to have crawled into since my sudden SSD. I had quite serviceable hearing pre-surgery--almost 65%. I really want a gizmo!!!!!!

Capt Deb 8)
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

matti

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2006, 03:33:23 pm »
I have had ssd for over 8 years now and finally decided to get a hearing device. I function fine while at home, but I am tired of missing out and not fully being able to participate socially. Even dinner out with my hubby can be difficult, as is a trip to the store or mall. I too have become reclusive.  Pre-AN I had perfect hearing :(  and I know I will never replicate that but I hope this allows me to participate more in life again.  I get my TransEar on Nov. 13 at 9:00 am (can you tell I am excited) and plan to test that little bugger out alll over town ;D 

Cheryl
3.5 cm  - left side  Single sided deafness 
Middle Fossa Approach - California Ear Institute at Stanford - July 1998
Dr. Joseph Roberson and Dr. Gary Steinberg
Life is great at 50

Jeanlea

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2006, 03:38:41 pm »
Good for you, Matti.  I'm still in the process of trying to find someone to sell me a TransEar and figuring out if my new insurance will cover it.  I can hear fairly well, but it is much more difficult in groups of people.  I have to have my students repeat themselves in the classroom.  And I know there are some things I'm missing when they talk.  I know TransEar won't be like my pre-surgery hearing, which was only a 12% decrease over normal, but it would be nice to have something back.  I can scratch on the deaf side of my head and hear it so I'm hoping the bone conduction technology will work for me.
I'll be interested in hearing how other people like the TransEar.

Jean
translab on 3.5+ cm tumor
September 6, 2005
Drs. Friedland and Meyer
Milwaukee, WI
left-side facial paralysis and numbness
TransEar for SSD

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2006, 05:08:35 pm »
Joef,
Thanks for your reply.  I am not in any hurry to get a hearing device just yet, but I do want to know what's out there.  When I went to my ENT and tried the sample BAHA it sounded like the sound you might hear from a cheap speaker.  I don't know if it was because the sound had to go through the skin and muscle tissue or not.  How is the quality of sound fromr BAHA?  I work out of doors and many times I do wear a hat, so that may pose a problem as well.

The sound is a "little" better once the surgery is done, its still a hearing aid ... it does not sound perfect.. sort of like a good AM radio .. but its better than NOTHING ... I normally adjust the volume so its not so loud --  and when it blends in with my good ear..

Hey Capt ... track me down at the symposium .. I'll let you "try" the BAHA ...  with the baha they give you a little block of plastic that the baha can plug into, and the hold the block on a friends head...and it lets the hear that the baha is like ..

« Last Edit: November 05, 2006, 05:12:04 pm by Joef »
4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital

Randy

« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2006, 07:46:29 am »
Thanks to all for your input. 
I have alot to consider.  With whatever device is worn I gather each of you is glad to be hearing sounds from the bad ear side.  Again, I'm in no hurry to get a device, but it would be nice to be able to hear conversations in group settings and other busy places.  I am currently checking into whether my insurance will help out with the BAHA.  Good luck to all.
Randy

PamelaDV

« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2006, 09:36:04 am »
I have a BAHA as well and I think it is the best thing since sliced bread. 

And who doesn't love being able to be the center of all party tricks because you have a bolt in  your head? It's great! ;-)

Pam
If God brings you to it, He will bring you through it.