Author Topic: CyberKnife Local Follow-Up  (Read 2564 times)

CattAN

CyberKnife Local Follow-Up
« on: July 05, 2016, 10:11:19 am »
Hello Fellow AN'ers,

I am considering local follow-up post CyberKnife to reduce the stress of travel.  Knowing how much stress has an effect on my tinnitus, etc....  This option is available from the Stanford CyberKnife team, but I am wondering if going there in person is a better for the sake of consistency.  Did anyone try local follow-up?   

One thing I noticed that tumor measurement can vary from one institution to the other.  For example, at UCLA they measure the entire tumor while at Stanford they compare the cystic part size.  Could consistency be key for follow-up?

Thanks,

CattAN
Right side AN diagnosed 6/7/2015
12x11 mm
Swelling to 15x13 mm @ six months
SSD, tinnitus, some balance issues....
~~~~~~~~~
Stanford CyberKnife1 9/2/2015 (single fraction)
Dr. Steven Chang & Dr. Iris Gibbs

Blw

Re: CyberKnife Local Follow-Up
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2016, 11:54:47 am »
Not completely sure what you mean by local followup. I presume they always want to see the MRIs, which can be done by them just calling in the request. As far as treatment, I asked a few doctors about that and I think they will do most by phone, but in the event of something bad, I would imagine they would want to see you. Though perhaps they agree to let your local doctors handle everything until a major decision needs to be made. I would, however, always want them to do the measurements. I got three different measurements for mine.

rupert

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2016, 01:12:01 pm »
Even if you have your follow up MRI locally, you would still send the CD to Stanford.  There is no worries about how they read and measure locally as they will do it again where you were treated.  I think this is the route most people go unless they are really close to their treatment centers.  Stanford will send you a complete report and note they probably will still charge for an office visit  :).   For me,  I was told that the MRI machine they use here locally was as good as any in the Country so I have always followed up locally.  The reports locally have shrunk down from a page and a half to a paragraph.  LOL.  They know someone else is going to read it anyways so they don't put much time into it unless they see something really obvious.

CattAN

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2016, 09:04:10 am »
Thanks Rupert, this is very helpful information.  Stanford offered me the option to get a local MRI, but I had no details as I opted to go there for my first six-month MRI. Interesting that they charge for an office visit, they do charge for phone consultation with the Nurse Practitioner.  It is, after all, time spent with the patient.  It seems that  insurance companies are okay with remote patient care.  It's less commute time, and no crowds in the waiting room.  Thanks again!
Right side AN diagnosed 6/7/2015
12x11 mm
Swelling to 15x13 mm @ six months
SSD, tinnitus, some balance issues....
~~~~~~~~~
Stanford CyberKnife1 9/2/2015 (single fraction)
Dr. Steven Chang & Dr. Iris Gibbs