Author Topic: Advice Please  (Read 8470 times)

Desilu

Re: Advice Please
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2006, 07:14:16 am »
Hi Richard,

I had a small AN and was on the wait and watch mode for 5 years. At that time the MRI showed my AN was growing. It was then that I got serious about researching my options. Because my tumor was still small, I was able to have Middle Fossa approach which saved 85% of my hearing. I was 46 at the time. I decided to get it over with and not wait till I got older because I personally felt that I could recover faster. I was back to work in 8 weeks. I must admit that my tinnitus is constant after surgery (it wasn't before surgery). But it is not unbearable and I really only notice it when I am in a quiet place.  I was very pleased with my outcome. House Ear Clinic will give you a free consultation if you send them your films. I used Brackmann and Hitselberger, they are wonderful doctors. Any questions, please send me a personal email.  I wish you the best on your AN journey. We are here to help in any way we can.  Ann
HEI July 26, 2005
5mm X 8mm Left AN
Middle Fossa
Dr. Brackmann & Dr. Hitselberger

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2006, 07:38:06 am »
Hi Richard and welcome.... great replies you are receiving here and as many know, I publically went through this process of "how do you choose?" or "what is best?".  It's a very difficult question to try to answer and in my opinion, many here on this thread have touched on the important points.

Like you, I was in wait and watch mode... for a year.  Mine progressively grew, so my decision making process had to occur soon.  For me (and as many here note), I tried to take the following into consideration:

1.  My lifestyle
2. My symptoms at time of the decision making process
3.  Do I want to cut it out of my head and be rid of it or....can I handle the thought of it dying in my head.
4. Treatment teams
5.  Different surgical approaches
6.  Different radio-surgery approaches/stats/accurracy.

It really does boil down to personal choice.

Many here know that I lost a sister to a malignant brain tumor.  My family, obviously, was rather thrown when they found out there was a 2nd sibling with a brain tumor, although benign and treatable.  My family's attitude was "if it don't belong, cut it out".  For me, my attitude was "well, if plan A doesn't work, I know I can go to plan B" and "I'd rather try non-invasive first and if it fails, then, I can go invasive".

I had my reasons for having radio-surgery done that worked best for me.  In my opinion, if you ask yourself the questions noted above and sit down and really think about these questions and what is the comfort level for you, then your decision should come fairly easy to you.

Regardless of what you decide, know that that you never question your decision, have faith in your treatment team and treatment approach... and know that all of us cheer you on.

Hang in there and welcome.
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Road Trip Dale

• Dale - 6 days after surgery!
    • Frappr/dale
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2006, 11:23:23 am »
Hi Richard,

I had the Translab done (i had a 1.75cm) and my reasoning was to preserve my facial nerve.  The loss of the balance nerve you'll overcome with practice, the loss of hearing is doable (I'm still adjusting to it, but in most cases I hear perfectly well with the good ear, as a matter of fact my good side has gotten sharper).  Restaurants and big cavernous department stores and malls will cause some frustrations at first.  Make sure who ever you are with is on your good side.  The problems that can occur from the loss of facial nerve, paralysis, etc., is mind boggling, consequently, my vanity and my desire not to have to mess with the problem, led me to decide to sacrifice what hearing I had (about 60%) and then get on with my life.

good luck on your decision.

Road Trip
1.75 AN Right Side
Translab 4/16/06
Dr. Charles Leutje and Dr. Paul Camarata
St Luke's, Kansas City, MO