Author Topic: any post-surgery recommendations re facial exercises, massage, etc.  (Read 11043 times)

suelay

Hi friends,

I would be interested in y'all sharing post-operative exercise, treatment, etc  that helped you get further down the road to recovery.  I'm almost 3 weeks post-op and can't complain.  My balance is excellent.  My hearing is good (retrosigmoid).  I have some post-op facial palsy (came on about day 7-8)  and general but mild neck and spine stiffness. The left side of my head also just feels funky when I shampoo, brush my hair, etc.   My taste buds are off, but it's no big deal as I don't need to eat all the food folks keep bringing me.  (Nothing like the South.  if we can't fix it, we feed it:))  i'm walking and plan on some driving starting this coming week.  I'm finishing up on a 2d round of steroids and then should be med free.  Hoping to take Alleve as that has always worked well for me with little or no side effects.  Thanks for any advice and do something just for you today.  Sue
L AN 16 x8 x8 mm
Retrosigmoid at Mayo Clinic Drs. Link and Driscoll on 9/25/06
Very good result

nancyann

• carpe diem
Re: any post-surgery recommendations re facial exercises, massage, etc.
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2006, 12:15:29 pm »
hi there - you're doing great for 3 weeks post-op!!   i still have balance problems almost 4 mos. post-op, & am finally going for balance therapy, but i have facial paralysis, right side, & am having the 7-12 jump 11/9.    Washing my hair still feels a little weird - the incision site is numb, but it's 100000% better than the 1st time i washed my hair.  I started driving 2 weeks post surg., driving is easier than walking with the vertigo.   my taste buds are shot on the right side, but i think yours will come back with time.   I wish you the continued speedy recovery.  nancy
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2006, 12:20:10 pm »
sorry - i just reread my reply -  you should look into a facial therapist for excercises, since you have some facial movement;  if you have insurance, check with them, or ask your surgeon for a referral.   again, wishing you the best! nancy     ps: i haven't had facial exercises yet as i have total paralysis - but after my 7-12 jump i will be having facial therapy.
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
right facial paralysis

suelay

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2006, 12:26:45 pm »
thanks nancy, I will ask.  My mom is very concerned about me doing stuff on my own like pucker face, blow fish (holding my lips together),etc.  I figure it can't hurt as they had me doing all that in the hospital before I left.  Everything was working then.  It just seems to me the "use it or lose it" rule would apply if we have any movement. Glad to hear driving went well for you.  My kids are very nervous so I will be on my best behavior--no cell phone, etc.
L AN 16 x8 x8 mm
Retrosigmoid at Mayo Clinic Drs. Link and Driscoll on 9/25/06
Very good result

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2006, 12:41:05 pm »
i don't know if they asked you to do blowfiish or pucker face to see if you have movement or as excercises ( they never asked me to did it, but why would they? - they knew i couldn't move my face).  anyway,  i would definitely get advice from the professionals & go for facial therapy.   all the best, nancy
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
right facial paralysis

amymeri

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2006, 01:16:42 pm »
check out bellspalsy.ws for advice on facial palsy.  The site if for Bells but has a lot of relevant information.

When your nerve goes out late like yours chances are you will heal just fine with a little time and REST.  Don't over-do and don't exercise your face without professional advice because you can encourage synkinesis.  You won't lose it if you leave it alone, but you might mess it up if you work to fast or too hard this early.

Avoid electrical stimulation treatments, as they seem to be bad for synkinesis.  Check out the website above.  Lots and lots of help there.

Amy
Amy

4 cm right AN removed restrosigmoid 4/13/06
Partial facial paralysis, SSD and trigeminal numbness for now

Cheryl R

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2006, 07:36:31 pm »
One does not need to be in a hurry to worry about doing any facial therapy as the muscles will not work until the nerve controlling them is working   Facial muscle fibers  are not like regular muscle fibers that can atrophy fairly soon.           I had made one visit to the facial therapist who did some of the articles on the www.bellspalsy.ws    and in many cases she doesn't even want to see pts till about a year after their surgery as then you can get a better idea of  what the facial nerve is really going to do.                    Electrical stimulation is a no no.    Some massage is ok.         It is very hard to be patient and just wait.             
              I am now 6 months past my surgery with facial nerve severed and the nerve graft done and am starting to get some people telling me they think my face is looking better.    This is just at rest as can't smile yet.             My surgery 5 yrs ago just had facial nerve damage and had partial return that time.                     Cheryl R.     
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

tagoins

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2006, 11:54:37 pm »
Hi there, my reccomendation is to find a good acupuncturist. I was skeptical to try it at first, but wish I had done so sooner. I had severe facial paralysis and droop on the right side, trouble with speech and eating. Prior to the acupuncture I had 2 surgeries on my right eye to try and recover more use of it. After my 2nd week of acupuncture treatment I was already noticing a difference. The droop was gone within 2 months and the paralysis was almost entirely better within 4 to 5 months. I stopped after 6 months. I could not believe the difference. One other side benefit was that my acupuncturist worked on the scar area too and the healing there was dramatic. You now have to look for it to see it.

Someone made the suggestion to me to wait at least 6 months before trying the acupuncture, but when I finally started, the acupuncturist told me that she would have preferred to see me sooner. As in, as soon as you can handle touching the area.

Good luck

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2006, 08:34:24 am »
Tagoins:  Thanks for your reply - I'm going to try the Acupuncture this Wed.   What have I got to lose???   Nancy   PS:  If you read this, can you tell me where exactly the needles were placed?  I'm assuming the face, but the way Acupuncture works, they stick the needle in your wrist area for balance, so, is it the face for facial paralysis?  (It'd be pretty funny if  you tell me the needles get stuck in a person's ass!!!!).    Thanks again, Nancy
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
right facial paralysis

Patti UT

• Keep On Keepin On
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2006, 11:35:38 pm »
The best thing I have done for myself since surgery is having deep tissue massage for my neck and shoulders. I get it at my chiropractor. A neck adjustment and deep massage really helps. The neck and back get stiff from the postition your head is in during surgery.

Try it, You'll like it!

patti UT
2cm Rt side  middle fossa  at University of Utah 9/29/04.
rt side deafness, dry eye, no taste, balance & congintive issues, headaches galore
7/9/09 diganosed with recurrent AN. Translab Jan 13 2010  Happy New Year

amn70

« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2006, 04:10:28 pm »
Hi Sue,

It is good to hear that you are on the road to recovery. I am nearly 2 years post-op and still engaged in therapies to combat pain and facial weakness. I have tried numerous medications, steroidal injections, radiofrequency ablation (shots in between the C2 & C3 vertabrae) and now myofacial and cranial massage--this is providing some relief. The massage therapist really works the scar tissue along my incision and does facial and neck therapy as well.

Another thing that I am doing on my own is using this item called the Facial Flex Facial Exercise & Toning Kit. I purchased it on QVC and although this item was touted to combat "wrinkles and aging" I find that it has been helpful strengthening my weakened facial muscles. You insert this item in your mouth and it has rubber-bands and you are opening and closing your mouth using resistance (hard to describe but it's a cheap device and another thing to try!!)

All the best as you continue to heal and I hope you find something that works for you!

Angela
FSR Johns Hopkins 10/2001
Translab surgery Loyola Chicago 01/2005
1.5 cm AN

sodagal

« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2006, 12:33:50 am »
Sounds like you are doing excellent!! When I had the facial problems the speech therapist used the facial electrodes on my face. Ebay has them -you can not even tell my face had problems and it is still numb. I can talk and look like I did before but I also practiced alot of annunciation of words. I would watch tv and read the words aloud to myself and make my muscles get back into shape. Hope it helps!!
33 years old female
Had a baby 10/7/05 and AN surgery on 12/9/05.  AN was 2.5x2.7 with a cyst-
Northeast Baptist Hospital- San Antonio,Texas- Dr. Holger Skerhut