Author Topic: Survey on cognitive  (Read 6273 times)

Zanybrainy

• Surgery 01/24/05 4.0cm, Colorado Springs, CO Retro
Survey on cognitive
« on: October 29, 2006, 11:59:48 am »
Hi!  I don't usually post but I do read alot.  You all are amazing and so encouraging even when you don't realize it.  I am about 19 months post op. I volunteer at the rehab I went to for four months after surgery.  The vestibular therapist I had is trying to gather information about cognitive effects of loosing your vestibular nerve.  While there is little information on it,  she is trying to see what the common complaints are and how they are related. I told her I knew where to find the experts on the topic.  If you have time could you please answer the following questions:
1. When and what type of treatment did you receive?
2. Cognitive symptons you experienced?
3. Have symptons improved?
4. Do you have hearing loss?
5. What treatments or activities helped you to improve?
6. What situations increase your symptons?

Thanks so much for your input, Cath
Retrosigmoid, January 24, 2005
4 cm "stuck" to brainstem
Memorial Hospital, Colorado Springs

nancyann

• carpe diem
Re: Survey on cognitive
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2006, 03:15:53 pm »
Hi Cathy:  re survey:  1.  Retrosigmoid for removal of AN, June 19th, 2006.  out pt. surgery for gold weight  right upper eyelid and lateral tarsal slip right lower eyelid July 19th, 2006.    Received PT while hospitalized, started Balance Therapy 10/18/06.  I go to  balance therapy 2x/week.   Also began acupuncture & Luminex laser tx. on right side of face 10/27/06.
2.  Cognitive symptoms:  none
3. Symptoms improved:   Balance seems to be getting a little better.  Continue with facial paralysis, right side.
4.  Hearing loss:  total hearing loss right ear;  constant tinnitis continues.
5.  Frequent walking.  Balance therapy (continuing bal. ther. & acupuncture).
6:  Walking in the dark, going down stairs, fatigue.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2006, 03:21:34 pm by nancyann »
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

Pembo

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2006, 06:02:44 pm »
Love to help: I'm assuming these questions all relate to just the cognitive aspect so here goes

1. When and what type of treatment did you receive?  June 3, 2004, Retrosig, 16 hour sugery, complete removal
2. Cognitive symptons you experienced?  difficulty with word recall, word reversals, memory not as good
3. Have symptons improved? it's better than right after surgery but still there
4. Do you have hearing loss? yes
5. What treatments or activities helped you to improve? no formal treatment, puzzles, crosswords, brainteasers etc all help, I keep lists to help with memory
6. What situations increase your symptoms? High stress and/or talking too fast causes the word recall and word reversals to occur more frequently

Hope that helps! :)
Surgery June 3, 2004, University Hospitals Cleveland, BAHA received in 2005, Facial Therapy at UPMC 2006

Windsong

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2006, 06:48:32 pm »
Hi,

I find a problem with this survey?

Like many stat "finders" it seems to focus on some things and ignore others.

For example, when I read the questions I am left with the understanding that the questions are zeroing in on 1) what treatment did one have and 2) how did cognitive aspects play a part subsequently....

It's my firm belief that simply "having" an An causes all sorts of things (beginning with the physical [ where it is located];  how LONG it has been there;  what tissues/nerves/blood vessels etc. have been pushed aside or displaced;  in what pyhsical condition was the patient before ANY problems relating to the An came to the patient's attention;  I could go on with this list of mine.

If someone wants to do a survey with "cognitive" aspects and truly wants to know how an An affects them, I would think that the survey would have to cover  pre An diagnosis;  treatment of that AN: and then subesequently, what happened after treatment. (with quite a few sub sections in each).

Just my opinion.

Windsong

amymeri

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2006, 09:41:35 pm »
Before the surgery I had few if any deficits.  My hearing was normal, my balance was fine, my cognitive function normal.

I had retrosigmoid resection of a 4 cm AN

No significant cognitive loss.  Maybe immediate recall/memory?  But I don't think anyone would ever notice.

My symptoms have improved in the 6.5 months since my surgery.  In the immediate post op I had double vision, some balance issues/lightheadedness (exacerbated by the vision) facial paralysis and SSD.  I still have balance issues if I turn a corner suddenly, lean over too much and sometimes I will fall back a little.  A tiny bit more clumsy.

I have complete Right SSD.  Normal left hearing.  Minimal tinnitus.

My vision improved on its own.  The balance issues improved with the vision and I think being physically active helps.  Riding my horse helps.  I live a normal life now activity-wise.  The hearing and facial paralysis are bigger issues.

Balance is worsened by quickly turning corners or starting up a flight of stairs unbalanced or too quickly.  Leaning forward squatting sometimes I overbalance and fall forwards or back.  Curiously, on my horse (who twists, turns, bucks, spins) my balance is BETTER than it was pre-surgery!

Hope it helps.

Amy
Amy

4 cm right AN removed restrosigmoid 4/13/06
Partial facial paralysis, SSD and trigeminal numbness for now

Zanybrainy

• Surgery 01/24/05 4.0cm, Colorado Springs, CO Retro
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2006, 08:57:35 am »
Thanks so much for the responses.  They are very helpful and I appreciate you taking the time.  Sorry if I made this sound like a scientific survey.  My therapist has noticed some common complaints, the medical information does not seem to back it up.  I told her I know where there are a whole bunch of vestibutlar patients so I thought I would ask. I will share the responses with her and maybe it will be helpful to her patients.  I have some cognitive trouble. It is similar to dyslexia.  I think one thing and say another.  I am 19 months post surgery and it seems to be slowly getting better. I know it made me feel better when I say on this forum someone with similar complaints.  Of course, depending on the day, I can use menopause, age, or acoustic neuroma as my excuse. Variety is the spice of life! My life is great in spite of the changes and I am so thankful to be alive. Thanks again for the responses, Cath
Retrosigmoid, January 24, 2005
4 cm "stuck" to brainstem
Memorial Hospital, Colorado Springs

Patti UT

• Keep On Keepin On
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2006, 08:20:56 pm »
Hi Cathy,

I'm 2 yrs middle fossa post op., yes on hearing loss, YES on cognitive. Too tired to list, (sensory fatigue from cognitive AN postie problems), but a great site for your therapist to read that has been posted on here many times is:

theblackriver.net/wobbler/wobblercognitive.html   titled   Cognitive Aspects of vestibular disorders     another is

archive.org/cognitive.html

hope this helps., I firmly believe that once they drill a hole in your skull, push your brain aside and hold it there for hours, your never going to be the same. But add removal of the vestibulat nerve, a person is going to have some issues from it. It just varries in intensity from person to person.

Hope you are doing well. God Bless you for helping out at the PT clinic

Patti UT
2cm Rt side  middle fossa  at University of Utah 9/29/04.
rt side deafness, dry eye, no taste, balance & congintive issues, headaches galore
7/9/09 diganosed with recurrent AN. Translab Jan 13 2010  Happy New Year