Author Topic: Pregnancy  (Read 8820 times)

LaMar

Pregnancy
« on: October 28, 2006, 09:38:03 pm »
Hello everyone, so my name is LaMar, I am a 22 y/o female and I live in Columbia, SC.  In August 2005 I was diagnosed with an acoustic neuroma on the rigth side that was 3.5 cm.  I have since then had brain surgery (Dec 2005).  They completly removed my hearing and equilibrium nerves and damaged my facial nerve.  I ended up having to get tear duct implants from the faical nerve damage, but other than that I am fine.  When I went back and had my six months MRI follow-up the results were inconclusive, due to the fatty tissue that they placed where they drilled through my mastoid bone.  I was scheduled to have another MRI in January, however, I just found out that I am two months pregnant.  This is a dream come true for me and my husband becasue when I was 20 I had cervical cancer and had to go through alot of treatments and then with the steroid use from the brain surgery I was told my chances of getting pregnant were slim to none.  What are the risks of being pregnant and having a brain tumor?  Can I still get my MRI?  I would think that I cant.  If I dont and they didnt get all the tumor - am I putting my baby at a greater risk.  I am so scared that I am doing something to endanger my baby because I got pregnant so soon.  It was planned and I just worry that I wont have a healthy baby.  I dont usually complain to others and it is really hard to do with my friends and family because all they say - is , "You survived brain surgery - what are you worried about?"  They dont understand that everyday I feel the scar on the back of my head and every day I wonder what if....I know that what ifs arent healthy but I also know what I had to go thru last year.  My best friend is pregnant with me too and she is having a hard time as well.  She had a LEEP done in August and now the doctors are telling her she is high rick because her cervix may still be too weak....I hate to talk to her about my doubts with my pregnancy when hers are so close to the surface...mine are just maybes and hers our real...I dont know I have always been the strong one and I just dont know how to deal with being the unsure one....any advice will help....thanks!
LaMar Resch
US Army
3.5cm tumor in right side
Removed 5 Dec 2005 @ MUSC by
Dr. Lambert

Jeanlea

Re: Pregnancy
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2006, 09:54:24 pm »
Lamar,

Congratulations on your pregnancy!  What good news for you.  I know of several people that have been on this board talking about their ANs and the gone on to have healthy babies.  If you search under pregnancy on here I'm sure you will find their stories.  Perhaps some of these other women will reply to your post also.
Motherhood is filled with joy!

Jean
translab on 3.5+ cm tumor
September 6, 2005
Drs. Friedland and Meyer
Milwaukee, WI
left-side facial paralysis and numbness
TransEar for SSD

Tinu

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2006, 06:03:36 am »
Congrats on your pregnancy! I would bring up any concerns you have with your OBGYN and your AN doctor. The best of luck to you and your family (especially the wee one)

Battyp

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2006, 07:40:02 am »
LaMar congrats!
If you search on here you'll read some similar preganacy concerns...and I'm happy to report that we all became honorary aunts and uncles as mommy and baby were fine!  Focus on the word FINE! 

Just make sure you explain your situation and concerns to your ob/gyn.  I'm thinking you're biggest challenge will be after that little one gets here and starts walking as most little ones walk better than I do these days  ;D

My gf had a week cervix and had hers stitched up.  Is that an option for your gf?

Keep us posted on how you progress!!!

krbonner

• www.facebook.com/krbonner, bunnums on Twitter
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2006, 09:33:46 am »
First of all, congratulations!

Second of all, I don't think you'll find anyone who would claim that the tumor itself is harmful to a pregnancy.  Personally, I went through two pregnancies with the tumor in my head (I was diagnosed right after my second child was born), and have two healthy, happy boys. 

These tumors are so slow growing that even waiting another 9 months (given that you've already had surgery to remove most, if not all, of the AN) should not pose a risk.  The big question is whether or not to have an MRI while pregnant.  The MRI itself poses no risk, in my understanding - it's the contrast agent (usually gadolinium) that's questionable.  And an MRI for an AN is useless without the contrast.  If you google "pregnancy" and "gadolinium" you'll find lots of articles.  It looks like MRIs with contrast during pregnancy are accepted in Europe, but the FDA hasn't approved it in the States.  Personally, I never had an MRI while pregnant (again, I wasn't diagnosed until after) but I did while breastfeeding after my son's pediatrician looked up the drug interactions for me and said it was okay.

What would I do?  Talk to the OB about the safety of an MRI with contrast, and talk with your surgeon about delaying the next MRI and what that could mean.  And walk carefully - that big old belly at the end can throw anyone off kilter, let alone someone missing a vestibular nerve!   ;)

Best of luck to you and your family!  As others have said, there are lots of stories here about AN patients and their healthy babies.  Finding some of them may help reassure you.  And soon you'll be able to add your story to theirs!

Katie
diagnosed June 2005
2.3cmx1.6cmx1.4cm left AN
translab Sept 13, 2006; Drs. McKenna and Barker in MA (MEEI/MGH)

ellenvig

• My AN
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2006, 07:42:47 pm »
Hi,

Congratulations!!  Like Katie, I also went though pregnancies with the tunor.  I went though months and months of fertility treatments, and went on to have 3 (singleton) pregnancies in 5 years!  I was diagnosed when my youngest was 7 months old.  All 3 of my kids turned out to be completely healthy.  I believe that the pregnancies sped the growth of the tumor, but since it is so slow growing to start with, I wasn't in any danger.  BTW, if you do have re-growth, you can still have radiation if you are breastfeeding.  You can also have an MRI while breastfeeding.
2.3cm AN diagnosed 6/13/06.
Gamma Knife 9/22/06.
Dr. Greorg Noren, Providence RI.
http://savyon.com/ellen/AN.htm

LaMar

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2006, 07:44:23 pm »
Thank you all for your comments.  I read some of the other posts and for the most part they all said they healthy babies, but their tumors grew.  I think for the most part they saw the rapid grwth because it had been so long since their last check-up.  When i was first diagnosed with the tumor - I was 21 and it was only 2.8cm but within a couple months time it was 3.3 and then at surgery which was only four months after initial diagnosis it was 3.5.  I was told that this was irregular but that they couldnt tell me why.  I have read about the MRI while pregnant and they say that MRI are safe but the injection is not - because it is in the blood stream.  My previous MRIs showed the tumor even without the injection so hopefully that wont be of a concern.  For the most part my conclusion is that the tumor will grow while pregnant (mostly from the increase in hormones in your body) but that it wont pose a threat to my baby.  I can deal with a tumor if it means that I can have a baby.  My dream has always been to be a mother.  It is the goal that I have had since childhood.  I didnt have great parents and I want to change that history and ensure that my child has the best.  I can take another surgery if I have to...I couldnt deal iwht never having a child.  I would always feel like I missed out on something and that I was a complete person.  We are planning to adopt later on....so one child may be all that is in my birthing future.....for now I am foucsing on my baby and not my tumor.  I have been thru the surgery before I beat all the odds then, and I know that I can beat them again.....

Thanks again everyone...and goold luck to yall in whatever situation you are in....

LaMar
LaMar Resch
US Army
3.5cm tumor in right side
Removed 5 Dec 2005 @ MUSC by
Dr. Lambert

Battyp

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2006, 08:39:03 pm »
LaMar please keep us updated as you progress!  we'll all be keeping you in our thoughts and prayers that you can achieve your goal and we get to be honorary aunts and uncles.  I always wanted to be a mom too and after three years of infertility I finally got preganat and only managed to have the one.  He's a great kid and a joy here's hoping you find the same thing!

Windsong

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2006, 11:25:36 pm »
Congratulations on your expectancy!

I am sure that your ob-gyn is  following you closely during this due to your An history. Many have had a beautiful baby, you will too.

Many good wishes,
Windsong

Kathleen_Mc

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2006, 04:10:37 am »
LaMar: I have had two children since my orginal tumor was removed. I found out about my regrowth when my son was 2 months old, I didn't have it removed until my daughter was 3, essentially I went throught two pregnancies with the regrowth present. I had no difficultiy.
No you cannot have MRI during pregnancy, my daughter was made and delivered in-between yearly MRI's (talk about pressure to perform on my husband!).
Kathleen
1st AN surgery @ age 23, 16 hours
Loss of 7-10th nerves
mulitple "plastic" repairs to compensate for effects of 7th nerve loss
tumor regrowth, monitored for a few years then surgically removed @ age 38 (of my choice, not medically necessary yet)

Laura

« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2006, 06:56:27 am »
Congrats LaMar! As everyone else has basically said... don't worry about the tumor re-growth. The chances are slim anyway and you can't change what is going to happen by worrying about it. Take all the energy and put it to good use and keep yourself healthy and happy for that little bundle of joy you and your husband are about to have.

I was diagnosed when my daughter was 10 months old. I'm a watcher and waiter and my husband and I plan on trying for another child after my next MRI in February.
Diagnosed August 17, 2006
AN on right side 1cm x 7mm x 7mm
30% hearing loss with no other symptoms
Watching and Waiting
http://www.patient-network.com/lparr
It's mind over "matter"... even if the "matter" is in my mind