Author Topic: Acupuncture and facial paralysis  (Read 12741 times)

nancyann

• carpe diem
Acupuncture and facial paralysis
« on: October 28, 2006, 06:21:02 am »
Hi everyone.  Yesterday I had my first acupuncture visit for facial paralysis and he used a Luminex laser after it.   Well, either I'm hallucinating or this morning my right eyebrow is in line with my left, got the arch back in the eyebrow, and the droop down by my chin to the right looks less droopy!!!   My face does look more symmetrical.  Don't know if this is temporary or not, but for a first visit, I'm sold.   I was real sceptical but figured, 'what have i got to loose ?'  but I can't believe these results.   The acupuncturist also wanted to incorporate electrical stimulation but I said to wait on that till I check with my surgeon - thought I read somewhere electrical stim. could be dangerous in facial paralysis.  Anyone know about this????    Nancy
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

Cheryl R

Re: Acupuncture and facial paralysis
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2006, 08:24:01 am »
Jackie Diehls who is a facial therapist says electrical stimulation is a no no.  She is in Madison,WI and is also the person who talks at the AN symposiums.            I made one visit to her plus have seen her at the symposiums.            The muscles aren't going to work till the nerve stimulation to them is there and the facial nerve heals VERY slowy.     Her quote at rhe symposium was that the electrical stimulation can interfere with neural regeneration and reinforces abnormal movement pattern.       
I had a nerve graft done the end of March and starting to feel a bit different in the cheek area so am hoping this means I wil get some return in time.
Hope this helps.                                    Cheryl R.
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2006, 08:28:40 am »
Thanks Cheryl - I'm going to continue with the Acupuncture & laser, but ixnay on the electrical stimulation.   
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
right facial paralysis

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2006, 08:58:45 am »
Cheryl - did you have a nerve graft using the hypoglossal nerve?  I was scheduled for it in Nov., but there was a little 'blip' on my facial EMG so it's postponed for 3 months, pending a repeat EMG.    Glad to here your cheek is feeling different.  Good thoughts going out to you for your facial nerve regeneration.  Hope to hear more and more and more....  movement.... Nancy
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
right facial paralysis

Cheryl R

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2006, 09:30:12 am »
I had a facial neuroma and they tried to remove it and save the nerve but decided it wasn't going to work so they severed the nerve in taking the tumor out.  They then took a section of nerve from just below my ear and grafted it in the facial nerve so that the facial nerve thinks it is a regular facial nerve and sends the impulses thru just like before.            I knew going into the surgery  that he might have to do it that way.    I have never had facial numbness but do around the ear area.  I was told that sometimes nerves will take over in the area and I may get some feeling back.
I also have had a regular AN on the same side and had mid fossa with the 5 yr anniv of that surgery next Weds.                This tumor this time was not a regrowth but a whole new tumor.     I have NF2 so am not the usual ANer.                    I sure never knew 5 years ago what all was in my future.              One regular AN would have been quite enough!        I also had a CSF leak with this springs surgery due to the failure of the colloidal implant they had just started using as they had 3 people with leaks after going to this product.    A nurse commented they rarely see pts with a leak. 
I was suprised to hear of your doctor wanting to do your procedure without waiting for enough time to see if you would regain some of your movement. 
         I hope I do improve also.  I have been told my face is looking better.  I try and not look at it!
                                                          Cheryl R.
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2006, 09:38:48 am »
Jeez louise Cheryl!!   What a time of it!    Do you know the name of the nerve they hooked up to your facial nerve?   Sounds like the hypoglossal.  The drs. said visually the nerve looked horrible (Telischi and Morcos had seen their share of nerves to know), & didn't think the nerve would regenerate at all, so that was the reason for the quick decision for the hypoglossal anastamosis surgery.  But who knows? The nerve might be coming back or might not - we'll know more in 3 months. 
I look at my face all the time!!!  for signs of movement - still looking!   Thanks again Cheryl, Nancy.
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
right facial paralysis

Cheryl R

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2006, 10:04:37 am »
It was the aural nerve they used.       The trans lab incision was just extended down in to the fold of the neck so has healed well and not real obvious.
I do look at myself some.  LOL!     At rest actually it doesn't look too bad , It;s just when try to smile that it is obvious.
I had facial paralysis for 3 1/2 mos past my first surgery in 2001 and ended up with some tightness and synkinesis.        That's why made the one trip to Jackie at one year post op. 
I guess now I remember you saying your nerve hadn't been severed but just really damaged.                 Every case is different.                                     Cheryl R.         
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2006, 10:27:33 am »
Hi Cheryl - the aural nerve, I'll look that one up.   My facial nerve was cut by the surgeon, then re-anastamosed(?) - he was preparing it for the hypoglossal anas.  I think he did such a good job preparing it that maybe some nerve fibers are regenerating.   Nancy (P.S.  what does LOL mean??  I've seen people use it but I haven't a clue)
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
right facial paralysis

Cheryl R

« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2006, 10:46:05 am »
LOL means laughing out loud!           Someone here might know of a place that has the abbreviations in a list.
It sounds like you are doing better than expected from what your facial nerve has been thru too.
  It is sure a test of patience.                                     Cheryl R.

Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08