Author Topic: Just Diagnosed  (Read 2979 times)

tincupal

Just Diagnosed
« on: April 15, 2016, 10:39:17 am »
Hello Everyone,

Yesterday I was diagnose with a 11mm AN on the right ear. Next appointment is May 5th with a Neurologist.

It started with my first vertigo attack in Oct 2015. it lasted about a day and I had balance issues for awhile. eventually I resume my active lifestyle playing Pickleball, bowling, golf, etc. The second vertigo attack was Feb 2016. this was worst then the first attack and lasted about 2 days. My balance has been bad since Feb & haven't been able to resume my active lifestyle. Any head movement seems to lose focus & therefore I lost my balance. The Nov hearing test showed some loss of hearing in the right ear & tinnitus.  I finally had the VNG test & a MRI. The MRI showed the AN.

After a little research I'll probably go with the surgery. so my first couple questions are:

1.   What is the recovery time after the surgery?

2.  Will the surgery restore my balance so I can resume my active lifestyle?

Many thanks in advance,

Al
11 x 4 mm AN diagnosed April 14, 2016 on right side. Some hearing loss, tinnitis, balance issues, no sports.

researcher

Re: Just Diagnosed
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2016, 11:20:03 am »
The recovery time can vary and depends on your definition. For me, I was in the hospital for 4 days. Sent home with a walker. I was walking without the walker at 1.5 weeks.

I was very dizzy after the surgery where it was unpleasant to be a passenger in a car for about a  month. I didn't drive by myself for 2 months. Other folks recover sooner than that.

This process is a challenge. I have found that I have become more patient with others and with myself.

I believe the balance nerve is severed during surgery and that allows the balance nerve from the other side to take over.

Take care.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2016, 02:49:53 pm by researcher »

michellef08

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2016, 11:41:45 am »
Hi Al,
Welcome to the club! :)
I was in the hospital for 4 days as well. I was walking around perfectly fine as soon as I left the hospital - even walked down a rocky path to the beach a week after surgery. I felt ready to drive at 4 weeks, and went back to work full-time at 6 weeks. I had the luxury of very little responsibilities at that time (as I was 27) so I really let myself rest and recover that entire 6 weeks, which I really believe helped with a quick recovery.

As researcher mentioned, my balance nerve was cut on the affected side. Apparently it is better for your brain to learn how to use 1 fully functioning balance nerve, rather than using both with 1 damaged nerve sending your brain mixed signals. So I believe your balance would be restored, and hopefully the vertigo will be cured!
Diagnosed Dec 2012: AN 1.4 cm with mild hearing loss and tinnitus. Surgery: Middle Fossa at House with Schwartz/Friedman on April 10, 2013. Entire tumor removed, no facial issues, no balance issues, and they preserved my hearing!! Co-leader of the Washington, DC ANA support group since 2016.

UpstateNY

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2016, 07:47:55 pm »
Hello Al,

The recovery time can vary, but most physicians told me the smaller the tumor the shorter the expected recovery time.  My tumor was a bit larger than yours, 1.2cm at my last MRI and 1.4cm at surgery, and my recovery was about 2 weeks.  I define recovery as getting back to daily activities, driving, no pain, no drowsiness, etc.  I felt I could have returned to work at 2 weeks as well, but played it safe by only working from home and going back into the office at 4 weeks.  Most surgeons tell you to plan for 6-8 weeks though.

I also had balance issues prior to surgery.  Mine was a lightheadness when walking that increased in severity when running or working out to the point where I felt I could pass out.  At 2 weeks post-surgery my balance was better than pre-surgery and continued to improve.  I am now nearly 8 weeks post surgery and I would say I am nearly close to normal.  The balance nerve in the AN ear is cut with surgery, and as Michellef08 stated, it is better for your brain to learn how to use 1 fully functioning balance nerve rather than using both with 1 damaged nerve sending your brain mixed signals.  It certainly has helped me. 

I wish you the best with your decision and treatment.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2016, 08:41:37 pm by UpstateNY »
Apr 2015: Diagnosed with 8mm AN at age 49
Oct 2015: MRI showed growth to 12mm
Feb 2016: Completely removed via Transcochlear approach at House Clinic; no facial/eye issues, balance improved
Aug 2016: MRI shows no regrowth/residual tumor

My story:  http://www.anausa.org/smf/index.php?topic=22581.0

tincupal

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2016, 09:38:55 am »
Hello researcher, michelle08 and upstateny,

Thanks very much for your replies. This is encouraging to see people with surgery get back to somewhat a normal life. By the way - I played Pickleball yesterday for the first time in 8 weeks. wasn't too bad if I didn't run around much. hand eye coordination was pretty good. should have tried sooner. we’re playing in a tournament tomorrow so I needed to try.

Thanks again.
11 x 4 mm AN diagnosed April 14, 2016 on right side. Some hearing loss, tinnitis, balance issues, no sports.