Author Topic: I'm scared  (Read 9374 times)

Crazycat

• Self-Portrait/ "Friends, Romans, countrymen...."
Re: I'm scared
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2006, 04:51:28 pm »
Tinu,

I went through the same deal as your Mother-in Law: shunt as well as gigantic tumor.  I also had the same doctors at the same hospital. Just had another MRI today! Spent the whole day at MGH - my old alma mater! Had some blood work done and a physical. Also had lunch in the cafe.

She's in the best hands. She'll be okay. Just ask Katie and Jane!!

Paul
5cm x 5cm left-side A.N. partially removed via Middle Fossa 9/21/2005 @ Mass General. 
Compounded by hydrocephalus. Shunt installed 8/10/2005.
Dr. Fred Barker - Neurosurgeon and Dr. Michael McKenna - Neurotologist.

krbonner

• www.facebook.com/krbonner, bunnums on Twitter
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2006, 05:06:20 pm »
And I'll be there Saturday for my post-op MRI.  Let me know if you want to meet for coffee!

Katie
diagnosed June 2005
2.3cmx1.6cmx1.4cm left AN
translab Sept 13, 2006; Drs. McKenna and Barker in MA (MEEI/MGH)

Crazycat

« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2006, 05:23:36 pm »
Katie,
  I would have loved to meet for coffee but I'll be in Athens and Solon, ME this weekend yuckin it up with all the yahoos! My band has a weekend gig up in wilderness at a place called The "Solon Hotel" up thar. It's the opening of hunting season and that's big deal up there! Everyone will be decked out in camouflage and flourescent orange. My friends live on a 267 acre farm with a cape, outbuildings and a huge, post and beam cathedral-like barn purchased for $90k six years ago. Can you believe it?  You couldn't buy a tar-paper shack on a 1/4 acre for that much around here!!

Cya at the brunch!!   Paul
5cm x 5cm left-side A.N. partially removed via Middle Fossa 9/21/2005 @ Mass General. 

jcinma

« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2006, 06:42:54 pm »
Tinu-
Like Jim I had a large (tho not as large as Jim's AN) 3.2cm with brainstem compression. I also had it debulked and followed up with 30 treatments of FSR all done at Mass General.  As I stated before MGH is a terrific facility with some outstanding doctors. Your mother-in-law is in very good hands
Jane
1cm AN removed (lost hearing) 11/96
3cm reccurrence debulked to preserve facial function 2/05
FSR 4/05
Mass General Hosp. Boston MA

Tinu

« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2006, 05:03:37 am »
Hi guys, sorry its taken me so long to get back. The past few days have been crazy. I talked to McKenna and he doesn't want to do any more brain surgery on my MIL until she can heal from the shunt, so she was just moved to Shaugnessy Kaplan Rehab yesterday. I was so psyched to hear that, since I work at Salem Hospital and can now visit her on my breaks, during lunch, etc.
She is doing so incredibly well! She can write again. She can think independently. She knows what day and date it is (a HUGE improvement from three weeks ago when she was writing checks for 1989). Her biggest personal concern now is how her hair looks, lol.
McKenna said he wants an MRI done in 6 weeks, with a follup visit to see what they will do about the tumor if anything at all. If they do something about it, it will either be radiation, or just taking a small piece of the tumor out, not the entire thing.

Crazycat

« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2006, 09:38:53 am »
That's good news Tinu! Sounds like she'll come back from the ordeal.
   I spent the whole day at Mass General yesterday getting another follow-up MRI and some other tests.

Paul