Author Topic: Hearing Aid Experiences  (Read 1254 times)

MaryAnn Smith

Hearing Aid Experiences
« on: June 02, 2023, 12:33:15 pm »
I had surgery 37 years ago and have been deaf in my left ear since then.  What hearing aid experiences can people share?

alabamajane

Re: Hearing Aid Experiences
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2023, 08:58:05 am »
I had my surgery 11 yrs ago and got  a Cochlear BAHA for my deaf side. A post is implanted in your skull and an external processor clips on the side of your head to get hearing on the deaf side.

I have pretty good hearing with it. My “ good” ear has very good hearing so I am able to hear well even when I don’t use it. Just not any sound from deaf side.

I’m sure there must be other aids out there that would help you, but I don’t have any information on them. The BAHA surgery is a relatively minor out patient surgery.

I hope you have Good luck finding something to help. You have gone quite a long time with single side hearing and I’m sure any aid you get will take your brain awhile to adjust.

I’m sure an audiologist could give you some better info than me though!
Jane
translab Oct 27, 2011
facial nerve graft Oct 31,2011, eyelid weight removed Oct 2013, eye closes well

BAHA surgery Oct. 2014, activated Dec. 26

donjehle

Re: Hearing Aid Experiences
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2023, 04:12:41 pm »
Hi MaryAnn Smith, and Welcome to the ANA Forums!

Thank you for making your first post!

My experience is a little different that alabamajane's (although the Cochlear BAHA is a great option to consider).

As a result of my acoustic neuroma, I have 12% hearing also in my left ear.  When I go to a drive-thru, my good ear is inside the car.  I can hear that the person taking my order is saying something, but I cannot understand it.

So, my audiologist recommended a CROS hearing aid system.  With it, when someone speaks in my left ear, there are microphones in the hearing device in my left ear which serves as a transmitter.  The device transmits the sound to a receiver in my right ear (my good ear), and I hear whatever someone said on my left side.

So now, when I go through the drive-thru, whatever the person taking my order says, I can hear it clearly, but in my right ear.  It takes a little getting used to, and the CROS systems are not cheap, but I don't think I could function in my work without it.  Any audiologist should be able to tell you about the specific CROS system they sell.

Best wishes in your quest to hear better!
Don
Burning Tongue, Loss of Hearing & Balance, and Tinnitus led to MRI. Very small AN found on 11/23/2021
While watching and waiting, lost significant hearing. WRS now at 12% (down from 100%). Was fitted with CROS system on 3/7/22.  Stable MRI on 7/29/22
No treatment yet.