Author Topic: Roof of the mouth (hard palate) pain after 7 years of surgery and getting worse  (Read 2981 times)

Irwan Lie

In 2008, I have done microsurgery in Singapore for removing my acoustic neuroma tumor in the right part of my brain (8th nerve) (type of tumor : schwannoma). I was 45 years old when it occurs. Before it is done, I do stereotactic radiosurgery in 2005. The size of my tumor is 1.7x1.5x1.0 cm.

In the begining, I experience tinnitus and headache since 1998. Shortly after, in 2003 I experience scratch feeling when I touch my right lower lip and the roof of my mouth. Therefore, I do MRI and the report said that I had aucustic neuroma tumor. I do Stereotactic Radiosurgery in Singapore to stop it from growing. After it is done, I starts taking drugs from the doctor (carbamazepine and oxcarbazepine). 5 Years later (2008), at some point I experience electric shock on my right cheek. Shortly afterwards, I collapse and was taken to the hospital for a month. After a month in the hospital, I was taken to Singapore to do another surgery. It is Microsurgery, and I experience hearing loss, tinnitus (getting worse), numb on my right face, bell palsy, nasal mucus came out with no reason, tears came out with no reason, right mouth and eye cannot close properly, and pain in the roof of my mouth after that. I wait untill 4 years to see the progress with taking another drugs (carbamazepine, gabapentin, and alprazolam) , and I found that my motoric nerves of my face is making a little progress (normal <50%).  Untill now (2015), I still taking that drugs everyday. If I take the drugs, pain in my roof of the mouth is reduced about 50%; otherwise the pain grow over time.

Conclusion :
1. Do I have to take the medicine forever ?
2. Is it normal that I still experience pain after the acoustic neuroma surgery ?
3. Can my face back to normal ? (I didn't feel any progress after 2012)

Lie, Irwan
30 December 2015

Raj1978

Hi Irwin,

I am also from Singapore and have been recently diagnosed with AN. I am sorry I don't have answers to your questions but I have a few questions of my own. Would you be willing to share your SRS experience and the name/place for your treatment. I am evaluating various options for my radiosurgery and I really can't find enough info on patient outcomes for treatments in Singapore
Diagnosed 5/15/17.Right AN 2.4*3*2.4 cm
Hearing loss, balance probs
RetroSigmoid Partial Resection 6/3/17
Mostly ok. Some double vision initially now normal. Occasional bout of dry cough still ongoing
MRI 8/1/17 2.3*2.3*1.9 cm
Deciding between CK or GK now