Author Topic: My friend - Margaret  (Read 5989 times)

tinkal2000

My friend - Margaret
« on: October 22, 2006, 02:28:27 pm »
My friend, who has lived with me for 9 years was recently diagnosed with AN.  She is 89, and the nurses tell me she is not a candidate for surgery.  I have not spoken with her doctors, and don't know what or who they are at this point.  I have been reading on-line and see that the gamma knife and perhaps, radiosurgery can be used.  She falls alot, her tumor is small from what they say, but I don't know how small, and I just want her to have some quality of life when she comes home.  Any advice would be gratefully accepted.

Tinka

Boppie

Re: My friend - Margaret
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2006, 02:40:01 pm »
If the doctors are saying "small" maybe waiting is being suggested.  She should have an advocate accompany her to all doctor visits. In my opinion she should use a walker and wheel chair for now. 

Maybe you could read posts by  Mary.  Search her name and read her posts about her mother's AN surgery at House in 2005.  At least she could tell you about elder care for AN treatment.  She had an email address on this forum and always answered back when I posted her.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2006, 02:43:58 pm by Boppie »

Patti UT

• Keep On Keepin On
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2006, 11:25:42 pm »
I would have to agree, at 89 with a small An tumor, I would think the waiot and watch would be the best approach. A walker or cane as Bruce said, is the best advice I can offer. The post treatment issues may be too difficult for your friend to endure at her age. These tumors grow slowly. if is is still small, she can most likely out live the darned thing. Most of us on here probably had our 10-20 years before finding it.
Good luck to her. Take good care of her. What a good friend you are. God Bless You.

Patti UT
2cm Rt side  middle fossa  at University of Utah 9/29/04.
rt side deafness, dry eye, no taste, balance & congintive issues, headaches galore
7/9/09 diganosed with recurrent AN. Translab Jan 13 2010  Happy New Year

Kathleen_Mc

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2006, 11:58:35 pm »
I would also agree that if this lady's tumor is small she'll likely to be able to live out the rest of her life with very little effects from the tumor. I spent 6 years watching a tiny regrowth and in that time it grew very little, I did have it our due to my young age and that it was growing but at her age neither treatment would be a picnic for her, and she may never need treatment.
Kathleen
1st AN surgery @ age 23, 16 hours
Loss of 7-10th nerves
mulitple "plastic" repairs to compensate for effects of 7th nerve loss
tumor regrowth, monitored for a few years then surgically removed @ age 38 (of my choice, not medically necessary yet)

Battyp

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2006, 04:48:15 pm »
I agree with the the others, due to age and size treatment might not be feasible.  However, a friend of mine teaches thi chi to elders to help them with their balance and I over heard two ladies talking at the class one day who said how much it helped them regain their balance.  It took the one lady a year to see improvement so maybe that is something she can look into for some help.  Vestibular retraining maybe to help her deal with the balance issues?