Author Topic: balance in the dark  (Read 5493 times)

Karen

balance in the dark
« on: March 01, 2017, 10:59:15 am »
Has anybody noticed if practise walkin in the dark helps the balance?   Going on a trip for vacation and would like my balance to be better!  After 13 years i still have trouble walking a straight line especially when I am tired or its dark.  any ideas?  I have been walking a mile a  day for endurance
Karen
     Surgery 12-17-03, nerve graft 1-04, 3.5 cm, facial paralysis, numbness and no hearing in left ear

caryawilson

Re: balance in the dark
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2017, 11:02:58 am »
Balance is a combination of all many senses including: touch of your feet, sight, vestibular nerve, etc. Hence practicing in the dark will remove sight and force your body to compensate with the other senses. I don't see how this will hurt.
4.5 cm, 17.5 hour modified retro surgery
John Hopkins: Lim / Carey
Complete Facial Paralysis
Facial Plastic Surgeon (amazing): Dr. Boahene

mandihester

Re: balance in the dark
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2017, 11:07:06 am »
My vestibular therapist had me stand on 1 foot and alternate between both eyes open, 1 eye open- alternating between both, and then trying it with both eyes closed.  It has helped some for me.  Just make sure you are standing near something you can grab if you start to tilt or fall. 
AN right side found August 2016- grape size
Retrosigmoid microsurgery October 2016
Before surgery- minor hearing loss, major balance and dizziness issues.
After surgery- severe hearing loss (it fluctuates), no dizziness, minor balance issues